News Magic Kingdom Vice President Dan Cockerell to retire

WEDwaydatamover

What I disliked most about Dan were the #instadans taken backstage with cast for the internet to see. He was either duped or broke basic protocols. Neither shows a high degree of wisdom or leadership. Obviously he is a great talent but maybe missing the plot and time to move on.

the.dreamfinder

What I disliked most about Dan were the #instadans taken backstage with cast for the internet to see. He was either duped or broke basic protocols. Neither shows a high degree of wisdom or leadership. Obviously he is a great talent but maybe missing the plot and time to move on.
Beware of the performative executive. There’s the show and the reality.

tirian

Are you suggesting Phil Holmes is still here because his performance is exemplary?

I agree the Instadans were stupid, but they were also carefully framed backstage pics. They were an approved marketing ploy. For years, Disney showed the public staged backstage images until the idiotic idea that the Magic was REAL permeated all their marketing.

Within the last ten years, every successful Disney park VP who maintained high standards left the company.

trainplane3

Are you suggesting Phil Holmes is still here because his performance is exemplary?

I agree the Instadans were stupid, but they were also carefully framed backstage pics. They were an approved marketing ploy. For years, Disney showed the public staged backstage images until the idiotic idea that the Magic was REAL permeated all their marketing.

Within the last ten years, every successful Disney park VP who maintained high standards left the company.
See subject one: Matt Ouimet.

draybook

Dan started in 1882 (long before his father worked for the company) on the college program. He went to Paris (looking for answers?) for a while (following an ICP who later became his wife) before returning state side and working up the ranks.

He was a great guy to know back in the early 2000s; I assume he still is.

That's going to be one hell of a 401k payout...

draybook

That allows you to live a very comfortable life in a cheap city like Orlando

franco_zpssyuynqfm.gif

RSoxNo1

Instadans?

tirian

#INSTADANS. I'd rather not explain it. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd rather have an apologist spin it. Not being disrespectful to you.
TBH, most of Disney’s internal morale campaigns also make me uncomfortable. “The magic begins with you!”—except we’re not going to pay you a living wage. “You said, we listened”—but don’t ask us to fix ride effects that have been broken for months. Combined with badly staged photos, it’s a very odd world that makes me squirm because it acts as if people are too stupid to see through the marketing spin.

That said, it’s unfortunate that Matt Ouimet (sp?) and Dan Cockerell are gone while the mediocre crew is still here.

Good thing the resort is still on an overall upswing.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

TBH, most of Disney’s internal morale campaigns also make me uncomfortable. “The magic begins with you!”—except we’re not going to pay you a living wage. “You said, we listened”—but don’t ask us to fix ride effects that have been broken for months. Combined with badly staged photos, it’s a very odd world that makes me squirm because it acts as if people are too stupid to see through the marketing spin.

That said, it’s unfortunate that Matt Ouimet (sp?) and Dan Cockerell are gone while the mediocre crew is still here.

Good thing the resort is still on an overall upswing.

Disney has always been great with the "soft" perks - discounts, admission, etc. They're also great with their internal communications and org development - calling supervisors "leaders," heck even calling a janitor a "cast member" makes them feel better about cleaning toilets every day for pennies. What isn't so good are the real things that would make a difference - most importantly livable wages, better/healthier food in the cast cafeterias, etc.

As far as the #instadan, it's a bit tacky but you have to remember that he's almost a celebrity in that role. Way more cast members know who he is than will ever see him in person. Many executives at that level are standoff-ish or only communicate with managers or leaders. I remember one GM who people were petrified of because the only stories you heard was him giving reprimands to people when he walked through the park. To have an executive at that level, willing to be approachable, pose for photos and interact with the hourly cast probably did way more for MK cast morale than the "You said, we listened" campaign ever did.

WEDwaydatamover

I feel that the "Peter Principle" is almost official internal policy at Team Disney Orlando. It has to be.

Semper Absurda- Mr.Toad

Last edited:

WEDwaydatamover

At the end of the day who damaged the Magic Kingdom more? Phil or Dan? Clearly Phil.

While both are smiling suits, I don't think Dan has cut a serious "wreckage ribbon" in his Disney career? He gave us Duffy the Bear but what else am I missing? Thats hardly a slaughter and I think it sums him up in a nutshell.

On the other hand Phil runs the gamut.

The resort is in a long over due upswing but I worry that they are cramming too much, too quickly and not making things timeless enough for the next 50 years.

Sometimes it feels like a 9 year old is in creative control at WDW. No diss to 9 year olds.

You said, we listened- Lee Cockerall

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

I met Dan very briefly a number of years ago. I was looking for my favorite band that was performing at DHS at that time. It was a special EMH offering as President Obama had come into MK a few hours earlier for a speech that was done on Main Street. Obviously MK had to be closed off so EMH was quickly added for DHS and EPCOT for that night. I had gone over to the sound booth to see if they had the schedule for the band. A bunch of people were in the booth and one gentleman came over and we were discussing the act in question when Dan walked over, asked if he could help and pulled out a copy of a typed up schedule, found the information I needed and was so gracious about it!!!! I thanked him and went on my happy way, very excited that I had met Dan. He was very sweet, didn't put on airs or lord it over anyone else that he was with and yes as another poster said he is cute!! Sad to lose one of the good ones!! Marie

IowaHawks7

there is a very famous story about Dan when he first became a VP a number of years ago. He was walking backstage and began talking with a Custodial Cast Member who had been with the company for nearly 25 years. They began to talk about their roles and what this cast memeber did specifically on a daily basis. Long story short Dan found out when her next shift was and was waiting for her in a Custodial White Uniform at the clock in location before her next shift. He then shadowed her for 3/4 hours and found out exactly what she did and how she did it. He was a good one who will be missed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom