News Magic Kingdom Vice President Dan Cockerell to retire

Disone

Dan started in 1882 (long before his father worked for the company) on the college program. He went to Paris (looking for answers?) for a while (following an ICP who later became his wife) before returning state side and working up the ranks.

He was a great guy to know back in the early 2000s; I assume he still is.

WDW? Or Disney?
Dan's father Lee joined Disney in 1990.

trainplane3

I know several mentioned him starting his own consulting company but I don't think anyone's posted a source to it. It's on his Linkedin page. I also quoted it in case there's anyone that can't get to it:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6395034206468083712/
Career Move!

A note I sent to my Disney team today.........

After a 26 year career with Disney, I will be leaving Disney to start a speaking/consulting company, Dancockerell.com. My last day will be May 11th.

Valerie and I have raised three incredible kids, Jullian, Margot, and Tristan, and we are 18 months away from becoming empty nesters. We have also had a few big milestones recently. In February, I turned 49, and this past Tuesday was our 25th wedding anniversary.

The big question we have had for the past year was, “what will the next 25 years look like?”

Well, if you know my wife, you know she has a vision, and it is all about adventure. Valerie left France and moved to London when she was 16 years old, speaking no English, and lived there for a year and a half, before returning to France to finish her studies. She has instilled that sense of wanderlust in me.

I also happen to have a wise mentor, who has helped me think about my next move. Lee, my dad, has given me some great advice on how to get started (and luckily, my mom, Priscilla has given him some great advice!). It’s a family affair.

Continue to do what you do so well, make magic!

Sincerely,

Dan

cola_boy29

To retire from Disney you have to be 55 years old. If he is "retiring" it's just means he is leaving Disney. The consulting job sounds like something he will be good at.

No Name

And he's good-looking too!

1524710040739.png

I wish him the best.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, 26 years. Is pension fully vested at 25 years? 'Cause, that'd be a good excuse to bail and pick up a second pension elsewhere.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm curious as to the reason he isn't remaining with the company. Whether it's of his own free will that he's leaving, or if there was some dissatisfaction with his job. Or even higher levels firing him and calling it "retirement" like what happened with Tony Baxter.

TP2000

I'm sure he has been compensated well throughout his career, why can't he be retiring? My parents both retired at 51.

Many people do retire in their 50's. But execs who work for Disney theme parks don't make enough to retire in their 50's. A theme park mid-level executive in central Florida aged 49 like Mr. Cockerell is probably making around $300,000 to $400,000 per year, with stock options and such. (Or at least I hope he's making that much) That allows you to live a very comfortable life in a cheap city like Orlando in a low-tax state like Florida, but it doesn't allow you to coast on even aggressive investment earnings for the next four decades in any city or state.

Mr. Cockerell was either forced out graciously by pretending to "retire", or he quit to start his own consulting firm and he has to pretend to "retire" so he can keep his free theme park passes for life. Either way, he's not actually retiring at 49. Which is the point.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Dan started in 1882 (long before his father worked for the company) on the college program. He went to Paris (looking for answers?) for a while (following an ICP who later became his wife) before returning state side and working up the ranks.

He was a great guy to know back in the early 2000s; I assume he still is.

Love the reference. :D And thanks for the info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom