I just found out....mind blown.

disneyworlddad

I’m just saying it’s a common known fact that Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South that it’s even in the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry and not a hidden detail like how some people don’t know that Space Mountain is based off the film Mission to Mars.

I'd concede that Splash is based off the cartoons in Song of the South. The actual story line for those cartoons is much older.

NelleBelle

2,798 miles. Washington is not close :(
I'd concede that Splash is based off the cartoons in Song of the South. The actual story line for those cartoons is much older.
I agree--I remember when I was very little that my dad would read me bedtime stories from Uncle Remus, one of my favorite being "The Wonderful Tar Baby." But these stories were written in the late 1880s and introduced the characters we see today in Splash.

Goofyernmost

How can Disney themselves say that Splash Moutnain is based off Song of The South and you say it’s not true? The first sentence in the Wikipedia page even says it’s based off Song of The South. The story of Song of The South is based off Uncle Remus however the ride is inspired from the film. That would be like saying Frozen Ever After is not based off Frozen but really The Snow Queen by Hans Anderson.
It's called spin. Take credit for someone else's IP, connect it to something controversial to make sure there is discussion about it generating desire to see it, outright distortion of the truth to promote something, your guess is as good as mine. You don't really think that they wouldn't connect it with the movie to make it their own do you?

On top of that, the "Stories" happened so long ago that to say that it was based solely on the literature would be like talking to most of today's public whose eyes would glaze over and they would go blank. Disney would have said that was what it was based on because that was the only recognizable way to put it. I already said that if you want to believe it was based on SotS, there is nothing I can say to make you understand it, so whatever floats your boat is OK, but, if you can find one thing in that ride, as far as show goes, that isn't directly connected with Uncle Remus, I will be happy to agree. The movie Song of the South was connected and inspired by Uncle Remus and the then existing stories of Brer' Rabbit, etc. So in a very indirect manner, the idea is inspired by the movie because they owned that property, however, since the movie was inspired by the Stories... which one is the lead idea in both of them? But, still no direct representation of any of the SotS story line, just the Uncle Remus ones. In the meantime, continue to believe every bit of information that is spun by the Disney PR machine. They depict things exactly as they are all the time.

disneyworlddad

Same with Little Mermaid, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, the large majority of Disney films are based off something much older.

I agree and disagree with your point, the ones you mentioned actually follow the story line of those movies. Splash only follows the story line of the cartoons in the movie, not the entire Song of the South Movie.

MrConbon

It's called spin. Take credit for someone else's IP, connect it to something controversial to make sure there is discussion about it generating desire to see it, outright distortion of the truth to promote something, your guess is as good as mine. You don't really think that they wouldn't connect it with the movie to make it their own do you?

On top of that, the "Stories" happened so long ago that to say that it was based solely on the literature would be like talking to most of today's public whose eyes would glaze over and they would go blank. Disney would have said that was what it was based on because that was the only recognizable way to put it. I already said that if you want to believe it was based on SotS, there is nothing I can say to make you understand it, so whatever floats your boat is OK, but, if you can find one thing in that ride, as far as show goes, that isn't directly connected with Uncle Remus, I will be happy to agree. The movie Song of the South was connected and inspired by Uncle Remus and the then existing stories of Brer' Rabbit, etc. So in a very indirect manner, the idea is inspired by the movie because they owned that property, however, since the movie was inspired by the Stories... which one is the lead idea in both of them? But, still no direct representation of any of the SotS story line, just the Uncle Remus ones. In the meantime, continue to believe every bit of information that is spun by the Disney PR machine. They depict things exactly as they are all the time.

Like I said earlier, Same with Little Mermaid, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, the large majority of Disney films are based off something much older. if the ride features characters like Brer Rabbit, Bret Bear, Blue Bird etc. from the Song in the South movie. It doesn’t matter if they reference the plot or not. It’s taking the designs from that movie, not Uncle Remus Stories.

MrConbon

I agree and disagree with your point, the ones you mentioned actually follow the story line of those movies. Splash only follows the story line of the cartoons in the movie, not the entire Song of the South Movie.

Mission Space and Dinosaur are two rides off the top of my head that are based on movies yet don’t directly reference the plot in anyway.

Goofyernmost

Like I said earlier, Same with Little Mermaid, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, the large majority of Disney films are based off something much older. if the ride features characters like Brer Rabbit, Bret Bear, Blue Bird etc. from the Song in the South movie. It doesn’t matter if they reference the plot or not. It’s taking the designs from that movie, not Uncle Remus Stories.
Like I said, you are convinced and nothing I say will change your mind. So, let's just agree to disagree or we will take up page after page of just saying the same thing over and over. There is a world of difference between the examples you have given. The first list had attractions based directly on the movie created by Disney. The last ones are characters and story lines from the original directly, not reflected off the movie. It doesn't matter really, if you enjoy it where it came from is unimportant. If on the other hand you think that it is wrong because so much of SotS is controversial then that would be absolutely an argument that would not win a court case. If the idea of copyright infringement were to come to trial to determine what it is based on, (Uncle Remus vs. The Walt Disney Company, the judge would be yelling "Uncle" really loudly.

MrConbon

Like I said, you are convinced and nothing I say will change your mind. So, let's just agree to disagree or we will take up page after page of just saying the same thing over and over. There is a world of difference between the examples you have given. The first list had attractions based directly on the movie created by Disney. The last ones are characters and story lines from the original directly, not reflected off the movie. It doesn't matter really, if you enjoy it where it came from is unimportant. If on the other hand you think that it is wrong because so much of SotS is controversial then that would be absolutely an argument that would not win a court case. If the idea of copyright infringement were to come to trial to determine what it is based on, (Uncle Remus vs. The Walt Disney Company, the judge would be yelling "Uncle" really loudly.

Peter Pan was an original character which Disney turned into a film and then a ride. Snow White was an original character which Disney turned into a film and then a ride. Brer Rabbit is an original character which was turned into a film and then a ride. I don’t even understand what your point is.

Last edited by a moderator:

disneyworlddad

Mission Space and Dinosaur are two rides off the top of my head that are based on movies yet don’t directly reference the plot in anyway.

What I think we are getting in to is a disagreement on vocabulary, at least you and I. Not sure about goofyernmost? What I define based on and what you define based on seems to not match up exactly.

fluffy

Ever watch the Rosanne episode where they go to WDW. At the time was MK and EPCOT. That episode made me think Disney Characters would just walk up to you and great you. Dan Conners was the first man to Drink Around the World.

In the late 70's some of the characters did walk around and greet you. I have pics of my son with a few of them. I have not been there for many many years..........so do they NOT do that anymore?

TwilightZone

In the late 70's some of the characters did walk around and greet you. I have pics of my son with a few of them. I have not been there for many many years..........so do they NOT do that anymore?
No they still do walk around, I think what op meant was that the characters would casually do it on their own. In real life they need a million handlers.

Scuttle

So as I sit here watching a history of the Land pavilion video by Expedition Theme Park, I just found out that there was a fountain in there. What? Mind blown. We didn't start going to WDW until 2008 and didn't actually go to Epcot until 2009. That would have been nice to see.

What are some things you've been amazed at finding out after watching a video about WDW or reading about?
How about the seasonal balloons that used to move up and down?

Considering what has happened to Seven Seas Lagoon I find it fascinating that people used to swim in the lagoon in front of the hotels for years. Videos of that seem so crazy today.

Jedi Stitch

Most of the time they have a static station they are going to and from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom