Wait...People dislike Rivers of Light?!

MrConbon

Original Poster
Last night I decided to see Rivers of Light for the first time despite me going to the parks pretty much every week. I always heard from friends and people online saying the show is boring and isn't worth seeing.

THEY WERE WRONG!

I went in expecting some boring nighttime show with some water and cool lights but got a jaw dropping show about being one with nature. The show had the most beautiful floats and the projections they managed to show through the mist was something I didn't think was possible. The biggest thing I hear is that the show has no story, which I just find to be incorrect. Yes, it doesn't have a narrator talking the whole time but as someone who did marching band, I found the show reminiscent of a marching band show with the floats making drill formations and a story that isn't overtly in your face.

Even before the show begins they have these people in tribal outfits and carrying beautiful lights walking through the audience setting the stage for the show you're about to see. It felt like an experience rather than just a simple projection or fireworks show. I also enjoyed how the show was completely free from Disney's IPs. It would of been easy to make the show about animals and shove The Lion King, Jungle Book and Nemo in there, yet it managed to be completely free from any movies. I think Disney Parks are at it's best when they tell original stories and don't rely on the movies for rides or shows.

Rivers of Light is my new favorite nighttime show by FAR and I ask anyone who hasn't seen it yet to do so because the hate it gets is completely unwarranted.

GVentola

I liked it okay, though I couldn't clearly see all the mist screen images, which would've made it more impressive. What I liked best was in the pre-show, off to the side, where you could see moving silhouettes of various animals and hear the noises they make. I was down near the front, near the docking site of one of the boats the shamans ride in. I guess the best bet would be to go not expecting a storyline, just beautiful imagery. Also going closer to show time, so you don't wait a long time for a show that may be disappointing. I went without a Fast Pass, and like I said, I still got a seat near the front.

Chef Mickey

It needs a lot of work. It can work, but not in its current state. Very light on story, effects, and a general sense that you’re at Disney.

NelsonRD

Last night I decided to see Rivers of Light for the first time despite me going to the parks pretty much every week. I always heard from friends and people online saying the show is boring and isn't worth seeing.

THEY WERE WRONG!

I went in expecting some boring nighttime show with some water and cool lights but got a jaw dropping show about being one with nature. The show had the most beautiful floats and the projections they managed to show through the mist was something I didn't think was possible. The biggest thing I hear is that the show has no story, which I just find to be incorrect. Yes, it doesn't have a narrator talking the whole time but as someone who did marching band, I found the show reminiscent of a marching band show with the floats making drill formations and a story that isn't overtly in your face.

Even before the show begins they have these people in tribal outfits and carrying beautiful lights walking through the audience setting the stage for the show you're about to see. It felt like an experience rather than just a simple projection or fireworks show. I also enjoyed how the show was completely free from Disney's IPs. It would of been easy to make the show about animals and shove The Lion King, Jungle Book and Nemo in there, yet it managed to be completely free from any movies. I think Disney Parks are at it's best when they tell original stories and don't rely on the movies for rides or shows.

Rivers of Light is my new favorite nighttime show by FAR and I ask anyone who hasn't seen it yet to do so because the hate it gets is completely unwarranted.

You discovered the key to happiness. Low Expectations. This way, you allowed yourself to be pleasantly surprised....

Herdman

I think what you're going to find is that everyone has a different opinion of what entertains them. Some people think opera is the greatest thing in the world. I'd rather gouge my eyes out than sit through a full length opera. As for Disney, this will be our first time seeing RoL so I'll be interested to see what we think. I know this is in the minority, but I don't see all the thrill in Illuminations that most people rave over. We see it each time we visit, but I could really take it or leave it most times. I would stay to see it over going to the opera though.

MrConbon

Original Poster
It needs a lot of work. It can work, but not in its current state. Very light on story, effects, and a general sense that you’re at Disney.

That’s what made it great. You didn’t feel like you were at Disney World. It took you to another place to tell a story about being one nature. To me, they story would be cheapened to have some threat like a hunter or something. It managed to tell a story without beating you over the head with it. There was no Disney movies shoved in. Effects wise you got crazy lighting, floats, fire, projections, and water. I don’t understand what people mean by saying it had no effects. Hell, it even got the Tree of Life involved.

Tom Morrow

I believe it could use some moderate to major reworking, however I applaud it for being unique, not being IP based, and being at times visually beautiful with a score that is almost as good as Reflections of Earth.

Honestly it just doesn't seem appropriate for an amphitheater and I think people would like it more if they could just view it passively instead of dedicating time and effort to getting a seat to see it.

Rsj88

I was so excited to see it after following the thread for so long. Then, I was so disappointed after reading all of the bad reviews, I almost skipped it. I’m so glad I didn’t. I guess I’m in the minority as well because I really enjoyed it. To each their own :)

Chef Mickey

That’s what made it great. You didn’t feel like you were at Disney World. It took you to another place to tell a story about being one nature. To me, they story would be cheapened to have some threat like a hunter or something. It managed to tell a story without beating you over the head with it. There was no Disney movies shoved in. Effects wise you got crazy lighting, floats, fire, projections, and water. I don’t understand what people mean by saying it had no effects. Hell, it even got the Tree of Life involved.
Oh, it doesn’t have to have Disney movies or even Disney characters to feel like you’re at Disney. It just has to be good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom