News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Sir_Cliff

I agree. It's an aesthetic upgrade that parallels with Toyville Trolly Park.

While I don't like that thematic integrity gets sacrificed in the process, if only this style would be emulated further to the existing carousel and outdoor food locations. Less modern and kitschy and more reverent lattice and razzle dazzle. At least there would be some cohesion. Even if it's just architectural.
Must say that I'm feeling more and more conflicted about this retheming. I really dislike making the pier "Pixar" themed, but they do finally seem to be fully fleshing out the turn of the century pier theming and addressing a lot of the left-overs from DCA 1.0. If nothing else, it seems that the pier will look better after all of this.

SMLR

All the tubes have been painted. (courtesy of Attractions 360)
58AD35FE-9373-4639-B564-8CF671F800C3.jpeg
04E78B8F-B6DE-438F-A023-D92F86935F1E.jpeg
716B0531-E07F-4752-BD07-18E1E976B811.jpeg
1458702E-3151-4EA2-B6BC-7ADAAC39BB5F.jpeg

mlayton144

I'd rather Disneyland focus first on its Tomorrowland refurb and Fantasyland expansion than adding a land themed to Star Wars. The park has other areas that need TLC.

Disneyland is already one of the most attended theme parks in the world while DCA is lacking behind. Building Galaxy's Edge at DCA would've cleared up the already insufferable attendance at DL while simultaneously establishing their second gate as a worldwide attraction. Now DL is going to reach capacity levels we've only had nightmares of. I love the idea of GE and I'm all for it, I just wish they would've showed more love towards DCA (which in turn would've allowed Disney to show more love to the areas of DL that truly NEEDED it.)

While I 100% agree with you about the misplaced location on GE in Disneyland park, I REALLY struggle with the alternative as well. Imagine strolling around GE and seeing the INCREDICOASTER and Mickeys Funwheel in the distance?? OMG what a horrific thought !!!

Disneylover152

While I 100% agree with you about the misplaced location on GE in Disneyland park, I REALLY struggle with the alternative as well. Imagine strolling around GE and seeing the INCREDICOASTER and Mickeys Funwheel in the distance?? OMG what a horrific thought !!!

It would have been cool to open Galaxy's Edge in the Toy Story Lot and have it be its own park.

BrianLo

This is the eternal debate about MK as well. It's too crowded, don't add more to it. In reality WDW stretched out to 3 other parks (of current various quality). You realize after a while that no matter how many distractors there are out there, people will still inevitably crowd the castle park.

DL is interesting because it is not a park limited by ride capacity, it is a park limited by physical space. Shanghai is quite literally the opposite. A day at DL at capacity is a crushing mass of humanity. A day at SDL at capacity is super pleasant, unless you want to ride anything. Sorry waits start at 90 minutes for the ultra-high capacity attraction and spin down from there.

So the solution to DL is different than other parks, it is physically expanding the boundary of the park. Tacking on an E-ticket like Frozen to the Wonderbra area has potential to make the park way worse. Crowds are going to be crushing, but there is a new place where 10 thousand guests can cram in where they never could before. That'll be interesting.

DCA needed near simultaneous expansion though for this plan to really have worked. I am pleased Marvel is being rushed back into existence for '2020', but we know it's not the full thing. The stupid East Gateway really screwed the pooch.

I am not a fan of build another park to solve an original parks problems. It is kicking the can down the road and WDW has firmly established it does not work. You just end up with more parks with more problems.

TragicMike

That's not really a big deal. Unless you hate the color red Pixar Pier will probably end up more athletically pleasing based off what we've seen so far.

Travel Junkie

This is the eternal debate about MK as well. It's too crowded, don't add more to it. In reality WDW stretched out to 3 other parks (of current various quality). You realize after a while that no matter how many distractors there are out there, people will still inevitably crowd the castle park.

DL is interesting because it is not a park limited by ride capacity, it is a park limited by physical space. Shanghai is quite literally the opposite. A day at DL at capacity is a crushing mass of humanity. A day at SDL at capacity is super pleasant, unless you want to ride anything. Sorry waits start at 90 minutes for the ultra-high capacity attraction and spin down from there.

So the solution to DL is different than other parks, it is physically expanding the boundary of the park. Tacking on an E-ticket like Frozen to the Wonderbra area has potential to make the park way worse. Crowds are going to be crushing, but there is a new place where 10 thousand guests can cram in where they never could before. That'll be interesting.

DCA needed near simultaneous expansion though for this plan to really have worked. I am pleased Marvel is being rushed back into existence for '2020', but we know it's not the full thing. The stupid East Gateway really screwed the pooch.

I am not a fan of build another park to solve an original parks problems. It is kicking the can down the road and WDW has firmly established it does not work. You just end up with more parks with more problems.

Agreed on all points. It's crazy to think about how many people are in DLR at one time. Between DL and DCA you have a space about the size of Epcot. On a really busy day you can see 100,000 + enter the space throughout the day. DL has missed opportunities like the Main St bypass to do something like the DLP arcades and give guests more places to wander around. Expanding the size of DL is really the best option. I wouldn't be surprised if they someday (way out in the future) move TDA off site and open up that entire area to guests as well.

DL needs roaming around capacity while MK and SDL need attraction capacity. IMO the theater being cancelled was a big blow to MK. It would soak up large amounts of people without being a draw to bring more people in. MK really needs that.

I was lucky at SDL. It sprinkled my entire time there. The threat of rain kept people away, but didn't actually rain hard enough to hinder any enjoyment of the park. I can only imagine what it is like on a busy day. Their queue's are enormous. Would not want to be stuck at the end of those. They need some people eaters there. Pirates is the only one I can think of at SDL.

CraftyFox

I'm really going to miss Paradise Pier. The idea of a Victorian Boardwalk by the sea was incredibly charming to me, despite the fact I live near one... So far, Pixar Pier looks like more IP Trash. Heres to hoping, the final product turns out better than expected.

Casper Gutman

I'm really going to miss Paradise Pier. The idea of a Victorian Boardwalk by the sea was incredibly charming to me, despite the fact I live near one... So far, Pixar Pier looks like more IP Trash. Heres to hoping, the final product turns out better than expected.
I mean, it’s going to be as Victorian as ever - more so in spots, since some vestiges of DCA 1.0 will be upgraded. The coaster line area will be a clashing mid-century, but right now that area is themed to Six Flags, so it’s kind of a sideways move.

TP2000

I mean, it’s going to be as Victorian as ever - more so in spots, since some vestiges of DCA 1.0 will be upgraded. The coaster line area will be a clashing mid-century, but right now that area is themed to Six Flags, so it’s kind of a sideways move.

Thank you for the reminder. Most of Pixar Pier is going to be an upgrade from its current stucco-and-cement circa 2001 vestiges. Agreed that Incredicoaster queue is a sideways move, but the onboard experience should be an upgrade.

The one thing that may stick out like a sore thumb is Jessie's carousel. For the last 17 years that was a cheap dress-up of a carousel, plopped on a cement pad surrounded by painted stucco. While technically they are upgrading it, I think it's going to look weird wedged in between mod Incredicoaster and lavishly Victorian Midway Mania. But we'll see.

The boardwalk around the Fun Wheel will be a nice big plus if it ends up like the renderings. And what they're replacing was even the "plussed up" version that they did in 2012, which was an improvement over the even cheaper looking 2001 version.

I'm totally fine with this look going away...

SideshowKaa1.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would have been cool to open Galaxy's Edge in the Toy Story Lot and have it be its own park.

It would have been cool, but we all know that was never gonna happen. Any development of Toy Story lot is at least 15-20 years away, if ever. They were never going to let either SW or Marvel sit on the shelf for that long. Plus DL has not had any new large scale development in 20 years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still believe TSL will be a third park within my lifetime. If Tokyo's getting a third gate, then so will we.

Well maybe in YOUR lifetime, you're only 19 after all. But for the rest of us over the age of 35, I don't know if we'll ever see it happen.

It all depends on the political will of Anaheim and how much money Disney is willing to spend to purchase more of the surrounding areas.

__r.jr

Ironic. 11 years ago Disney never fully addressed the queue of California Screamin'. They are now, but it will still illustrate as a stylistic clash. The entire Pier was initially designed to show the heyday of the boardwalk. Screamin' was designed to resemble a classic wooden coaster. However its entire queue, marquee, and Fastpass machines scream 1950's hotrod... Its paint scheme and launch sequence exploit 1960's surfing culture... It's being redesigned but with the same modern mid-century mentality only now with a residential purpose. How is any of this the Victorian heyday of a beach side boardwalk?

This goes back to why, in its inception, California Adventure failed and why six years later the billion dollar investment wasn't as thoughtfully genuine. I think a lot of people thought portions of DCA would try to capture what Main Street initially did. They hoped that DCA would give you romantically historic glimpses of California's past. Instead you are currently greeted with a little bit of everything. Creatively speaking Buena Vista Street would be a return to the old tradition. It would attempt to transport you into a romantic view of LA's past. Unfortunately the efforts of Buena Vista Street is lost because around the corner lies Cars Land. For every step forward another is taken in the opposite direction.

Paradise Pier's promise of an intricately themed Victorian boardwalk has been abandoned. Sure, the Sun Wheel got overlayed with characters then but it's being done again now. However still, Walt Disney Imagineering doesn't see a need to address its queue to anything other than Six Flags. King Triton's Carousel was supposed to get a wood lattice permanent structure early on. Instead, it will still stand as a tacky testament to cheapness only now with a Pixar overlay. This statement is even more powerful when you look right past it to the intricate gingerbread details of Toy Story Midway Mania. Incredicoaster is a lost cause, as the 1950's and 60's will still remain only now with more characters.

DanielBB8

Thank you for the reminder. Most of Pixar Pier is going to be an upgrade from its current stucco-and-cement circa 2001 vestiges. Agreed that Incredicoaster queue is a sideways move, but the onboard experience should be an upgrade.

The one thing that may stick out like a sore thumb is Jessie's carousel. For the last 17 years that was a cheap dress-up of a carousel, plopped on a cement pad surrounded by painted stucco. While technically they are upgrading it, I think it's going to look weird wedged in between mod Incredicoaster and lavishly Victorian Midway Mania. But we'll see.

The boardwalk around the Fun Wheel will be a nice big plus if it ends up like the renderings. And what they're replacing was even the "plussed up" version that they did in 2012, which was an improvement over the even cheaper looking 2001 version.

I'm totally fine with this look going away...

SideshowKaa1.png
What? Have we finally turned the corner on this debate?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom