News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

drizgirl

Disneyland hasn't had a new e-ticket in over twenty years. They need the capacity of GE in order to close down Tomorrowland and rebuild. The infrastructure can't take modern guests. That expansion and DCA expansions make it easier to shut down areas that need attention for years. Things have to change in order to meet demand.
This won't solve that. It will make it worse.

TragicMike

Leaving Disneyland to rot doesn't solve anything either.
Who walks around Disneyland thinking "Man, I wish there was more stuff to do here."? Attendance has been increasing every year, aside from a small dip in 2016, and attendance levels are at the highest points in the resort's history. People obviously aren't getting tired of it. They already had the area needed to expand Fantasyland (they could've open a Frozen land if they wanted a land based around an IP.)

There's plenty of options to enhance Disneyland while elevating DCA. Cramming the most successful film franchise (aside from Marvel) of all time in Disneyland and scurrying for quick fixes to generate interests in DCA to draw away the record-breaking crowds we're about to witness was not the best way to go about it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd rather Disneyland focus first on its Tomorrowland refurb and Fantasyland expansion than adding a land themed to Star Wars. The park has other areas that need TLC.

Disneyland is already one of the most attended theme parks in the world while DCA is lacking behind. Building Galaxy's Edge at DCA would've cleared up the already insufferable attendance at DL while simultaneously establishing their second gate as a worldwide attraction. Now DL is going to reach capacity levels we've only had nightmares of. I love the idea of GE and I'm all for it, I just wish they would've showed more love towards DCA (which in turn would've allowed Disney to show more love to the areas of DL that truly NEEDED it.)

There isn't enough area in DCA to do the size and scope of SWL that they wanted without completely tearing out a huge section of the park.

By putting it into DL it allowed for a greater area to be used with very little on-stage area disrupted.

Disney Analyst

Some neat new shots from Mouse Info:

DarkoAtU8AEKDen.jpg:large

Phroobar

Who walks around Disneyland thinking "Man, I wish there was more stuff to do here."? Attendance has been increasing every year, aside from a small dip in 2016, and attendance levels are at the highest points in the resort's history. People obviously aren't getting tired of it. They already had the area needed to expand Fantasyland (they could've open a Frozen land if they wanted a land based around an IP.)

There's plenty of options to enhance Disneyland while elevating DCA. Cramming the most successful film franchise (aside from Marvel) of all time in Disneyland and scurrying for quick fixes to generate interests in DCA to draw away the record-breaking crowds we're about to witness was not the best way to go about it.
The increase in visitors is because of cheap AP sales and the way they've marketed their brand into a life style. Disneyland is considered a mall and place to hang out. If Disney wanted to really fix something they would remove the payment plan and add another $200 to each level. I challenge you to get rid of your AP if you have one and reduce the crowd by at least one person. I did it years ago.

As for Star Wars, we have over 300 pages of reasons why it's the right thing for DL. Star Wars has been part of Disneyland for half it's existence. Most of the attractions have also been there for just as long. DCA doesn't have the room for something that big. I believe Disneyland needs to evolve and keep changing. It's not a museum. I've been going there nearly twice as long as you've been alive. I prefer to see new things.

Curious Constance

Besides. I'm sure that additional land will add capacity to the max number allowed each day.

If they maintain the current crowd numbers and just spread them out, the project would likely be seen as an epic fail.
Exactly, current crowds won't spend more money than they currently do, they need to pack more in, thereby making more money.

Phroobar

That's what every IP park will eventually be, a joke. An old, tired, embarrassing, remember when this was in? joke.
Nice thing about IPs is that you can always get rid of them and no one will care. Look how long it took to get rid of Ellen's Energy Adventure. It was based on her old show. She is a very different person now.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
That's what every IP park will eventually be, a joke. An old, tired, embarrassing, remember when this was in? joke.

Agreed. I think Cars Land is great because not only was the movie great, but it ties in to historic route 66 and there's a pretty big, *ehem*, car culture out there. lol.

Another example of putting in a fantastic attraction or land with a IP background (like Indiana Jones), not the other way around.

Ismael Flores

Some neat new shots from Mouse Info:

DarkoAtU8AEKDen.jpg:large

I saw the new color scheme this past weekend and I have to say that it actually looks fantastic. That picture doesn’t do it justice. The blue tiles in Midway mania really pop in the sunlight when seen in person and so does the reds of the tubes.

The wheel I’m still having a difficult time liking. I think it should have been a darker tone so that it popped. The color is too close to a sky blue. California doesn’t get many cloud formations like in other resorts so colors for things as big as the wheel need to stay away from the light blue and gray tones that are too subdued. In contrast the light blues they used in Tokyo for toyville is ok because that Asian park has a distinctive sky. That has a better cloud formation so color should like that don’t blend in too much.
I’m also afraid that the color they picked will age and get a yellowish tint in a few months. The sunlight will also kill it quickly.

There is a reason why buildings like the Guardian mission break out building was painted with a color scheme on the top half of the tower that was brighter and darker than the faded lower portion.
Eventually the UV light from the sun will lighten those colors and get them closer to the lower half. It was also designed to be a big focal point so the darker colors make it pop from the mostly blue/grey tones of a Southern California sky

Last edited:

__r.jr

I have to say that I think this is an improvement.

I agree. It's an aesthetic upgrade that parallels with Toyville Trolly Park.

While I don't like that thematic integrity gets sacrificed in the process, if only this style would be emulated further to the existing carousel and outdoor food locations. Less modern and kitschy and more reverent lattice and razzle dazzle. At least there would be some cohesion. Even if it's just architectural.

DanielBB8

View attachment 277633View attachment 277634

I have to say that I think this is an improvement. I wonder if Pixar Pier will get a version of the Toyville Trolley Park archway too.

toy-ville-trolley-park-tokyo-disneysea-japan-may-inspired-famous-victorian-coney-island-style-new-area-american-51470439.jpg
The towers are very Aladdin-like. Very whimsical. It is obviously a new dramatic gateway unlike the previous modest sign. This is new theming. This remodel isn’t just about adding IP branding contrary to complaints. This isn’t a cheap remodel. Money is actually being spent here.

As for the Pixar Fest, this is clearly Disney going all out in its celebration and not restricted to the Pier area. No one can seriously say they’re hiding their intentions.

Curious Constance

The towers are very Aladdin-like. Very whimsical. It is obviously a new dramatic gateway unlike the previous modest sign. This is new theming. This remodel isn’t just about adding IP branding contrary to complaints. This isn’t a cheap remodel. Money is actually being spent here.

As for the Pixar Fest, this is clearly Disney going all out in its celebration and not restricted to the Pier area. No one can seriously say they’re hiding their intentions.
I know what these individual words mean but when you put them together in this particular order my brain doesn't understand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom