Potential future European resort (Spain?)

Old Mouseketeer

Spain lost out, thanks to Eisner and Mitterand. The plan since 1973 was Tokyo and Spain. The South of Spain had good weather and relatively low land prices. But that ship sailed. Oh, what might have been!

BTW, the problem with DLRP wasn't that the park wasn't profitable--it was that Eisner overbuilt the hotels and the debt service ate into the revenue. This was complicated by Disney's tone deaf approach to marketing in Europe. The whole "EuroDisney" identity depended on a pan-Europe identity that didn't exist. Disney quickly adjusted their marketing scheme to target their key markets within Europe rather than a scattershot approach. In the US, the primary market is one day's drive and the secondary is three day's drive. Prior to WDW, 70% of DL visitors came from West of the Mississippi. Europe is trickier. The market boundaries twist and turn according to cultural variances, with a big hole for France, which underperforms compared to DL/CA and WDW/FL.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I was just thinking China has two resorts so why not Europe?

China can actually afford 2 more resorts in the mainland (Beijing and Chongqing). Once DLRP is fixed and things are good, they can think of a second one in Europe. That's a good 15-20 years away, at least. I think they are closer to having a 3rd one in the US (i.e Texas) than a 2nd one in Europe.

Last edited:

jaxonp

China can actually afford 2 more resorts in the mainland (Beijing and Chongqing). Once DLRP is fixed and things are good, they can think of a second one in Europe. That's a good 15-20 years away, at least. I think they are closer to having a 3rd one in the US (i.e Texas) than a 3rd one in Europe.

Shdl needs a second park now. Attendance is crazy there. The Chinese people are not the best park goers though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom