Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

aladdin2007

Like it used to be?

and how about opening earlier as well like it use to, except for Norway everything else is locked till 11am. With a park full of paying people trying to get in the UK and Canada shops etc, as an example, yet they cant. I would think once Rat opens the whole WS opening so late is going to have to change.

SteamboatJoe

Who does the music for the new show?

After a few views, I now think it is the music that lets RoL down. Whereas it is the music is that makes RoE .

Actually, who am I kidding. The usual mix of IP soundtracks (Rat's accordeon theme, a Poppins song), Let it Go mixed in for good measure, Coco's Remember Me as emotional highlight and two minutes of non-IP upbeat symphonic electronic music because this is EPCOT.

I'm going to see IllumiNations every evening of my next trip and then write this one off too. :'(

RoL's is not as good as RoE's but I am not sure it's the primary reason that RoL is just OK.

The Empress Lilly

Then again, the Imagination pavilion and the Magic Eye theater never housed anything that was thematically relevant to the idea of "Future World." Magic and Sci-Fi and Fantasy and Cartoon Characters... doesn't scream the near future.
Poppycock! Nothing is more relevant to EPCOT than Imagination.

FW's theme isn't science center, its placemaking isn't 'the future'.

FW explores a handful of concepts (motion, energy, communication) and resources (the harvest of the land, the bounty of the sea) that shape our world, that we may understand them to employ them to better our future. Imagination is deemed one of the greatest resources of all.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

FW explores a handful of concepts (motion, energy, communication) and resources (the harvest of the land, the bounty of the sea) that shape our world, that we may understand them to employ them to better our future. Imagination is deemed one of the greatest resources of all.

Oh. So the whole land was misnamed then.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not necessarily when the park at least had Horizons and Sea Base Alpha, Computer Central, World Key etc... Back in those days the name Future World was very fitting.

So then, everything fit except the Imagination Pavilion and the Magic Eye Theater like I said.

FigmentJedi

Journey into Imagination was all about how creativity is the driving source behind all of our achievements in both arts and the sciences and the ImageWorks was all about using technology to express ourselves in fun new ways.

The Imagination Institute is too damn rigid a setting for an abstract concept like imagination and creativity and it never really engaged with the subject in a way beyond "Look at these optical illusions and stock science fiction devices" or "We gave you this award because you built a cool thing". The current ride isn't just a seven minute tear-down of the thing it was created to replace, it's dismantling the entire premise of an "Imagination Institute" down to Figment just bombing a computer lab and turning it into the brief distilled visual essence of the original ride.

Marc Davis Fan

Despite recent rumours, this new show is not currently scheduled to premiere this year.

Whew!

I hope RoE sticks around until summer 2020. Even if the new show is spectacular, and even if it’s IP-free (there’s still hope!), it remains nearly impossible to imagine the show having anywhere close to the level of subtlety, sophistication, depth, meaning, and emotional power of RoE. Indeed, RoE might be considered the last great creation of pre-IP-fest Disney. Its replacement will be of symbolic significance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whew!

I hope RoE sticks around until summer 2020. Even if the new show is spectacular, and even if it’s IP-free (there’s still hope!), it remains nearly impossible to imagine the show having anywhere close to the level of subtlety, sophistication, depth, meaning, and emotional power of RoE. Indeed, RoE might be considered the last great creation of pre-IP-fest Disney. Its replacement will be of symbolic significance.
I’m envisaging the shows changing in early 2020.

As it stands prepare for IP.

Kman101

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuudgeee. That’s such a yikes.

Yep. Sucks. I'll be complaining once the show debuts. It could be the most amazing and beautiful show ever (just assuming) but I don't want IP there. A real shame. I can be fine with Rat and Mary Poppins in the World Showcase. It just irritates me they truly feel they have to shove IP everywhere. Newsflash, Disney, YOU DON'T.

I actually think IP in the Epcot show will backfire on them.

Haymarket2008

Yep. Sucks. I'll be complaining once the show debuts. It could be the most amazing and beautiful show ever (just assuming) but I don't want IP there. A real shame. I can be fine with Rat and Mary Poppins in the World Showcase. It just irritates me they truly feel they have to shove IP everywhere. Newsflash, Disney, YOU DON'T.

I actually think IP in the Epcot show will backfire on them.

In a grand presentation that basically sums up what Epcot (and specifically World Showcase to a larger degree) means. it is tonally the wrong direction. I guess I could be called hypocritical after now, somewhat, supporting attractions like Mary Poppins coming to the park. But the nighttime spectacular is something very different to me and in what purpose it serves. I think it could definitely backfire, seeing as the current IllumiNations is widely considered the best show Disney has ever produced. And that is an organic and thematically pitch perfect experience.

Kman101

In a grand presentation that basically sums up what Epcot (and specifically World Showcase to a larger degree) means. it is tonally the wrong direction. I guess I could be called hypocritical after now, somewhat, supporting attractions like Mary Poppins coming to the park. But the nighttime spectacular is something very different to me and in what purpose it serves. I think it could definitely backfire, seeing as the current IllumiNations is widely considered the best show Disney has ever produced. And that is an organic and thematically pitch perfect experience.

Oh I know I'm being a total hypocrite when it comes to IP in Epcot. LOL. I'm fuming about Guardians but I give Rat and Mary a pass. And I'm outraged at IP in the new show. LOL.

I agree that the nighttime spectacular is something very different and the purpose it serves. It's why I kind of defend Rivers of Light even though I know it needs some help.

I really do wonder if they've overestimated the demand for IP here. Don't most guests love Reflections of Earth? Has it suddenly dipped in guest satisfaction (I mean it is time for an update, but not such a drastic one)? Are guests suddenly demanding IP here? It seems unncessary and while I don't mind some IP. It's really annoying they think it has to go everywhere and guests are too stupid to enjoy something not with IP. But then you have the guests complaining about, I imagine, no IP in say Rivers of Light, so I can't say I blame them because they've convinced themselves that's what the guests want.

Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom