News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

SCOTLORR

Yes Disney wants out of the contract because its a completely one-sided contract. So not its not mutually beneficial, it gives all the power to Universal. There is a reason why WDW is only getting a GotG attraction instead of Avengers or other characters that are going into the other parks.

I actually expect a change soon after the Fox merger is complete.
Is there a timetable for when the Fox merger could be completed by? And excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what Uni titles are included in that Fox deal that disney would have to trade for the Marvel Orlando rights?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No one at Disney wants out of the contract. They just wanted to build a Marvel ride at WDW, so the legal team figured out which characters will work, and voila - GOTG at Epcot.

Trust me when I tell you, no one at Disney with any real power wants out of the contract. It's not an issue, let alone a priority.

That is not my understand, but ok. There is a big difference between just accepting the contract as it is today, and not wanting to get out of it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is there a timetable for when the Fox merger could be completed by? And excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what Uni titles are included in that Fox deal that disney would have to trade for the Marvel Orlando rights?
12-18 months is the timetable I keep hearing. Simpsons would be one of the bigger ones.

Ismael Flores

I am only up to page eight on this so I don't know if anyone else has covered this but with these four a bug's land attractions gone (even with one likely to end up in Pixar Pier) DCA is losing three no height restriction attractions along with the water play area.

After these three rides I'd say the next ride up would be the carousel which isn't very child friendly with the seating on the horse/animals and then Mickey's Fun Wheel.

As much as many fans don't appear to have liked a bug's land it filled some of the Fantasyland aspects of DCA with two spinners and two slow moving rides.

They are adding another water play area in Pixar pier. The art shows a Pixar ball with fountains around it near the funwheel.

if they really wanted to save those ride mechanism, they could probably re-theme it like they are doing with flicks and move it to another part of the park that could use some rides for parents with children. One spot that would be perfect is grizzley area.

surprisingly Heimlich and Lady bug boogie fit perfectly to size within the large wasted green area that sits between Soarin and grizzley rapids.

Why not reskin the heimlich trains to an old fashion mini railroad and add it to that area, lady bug boogie can then be re-skinned to something else as well and place right across from the train. Both small rides can have a mining theme and be perfect little additions in a wasted piece of property.
I see so many parents sitting around with young children in that area waiting for the rest of the family to come out of Soarin. why not give them something to do. We wouldn't be loosing any other attraction and all they can re-use the mechanism.

I wanted to see how it would fit size wise so i did a quick photoshop placement and it actually fits exactly. of course it wouldn't have a bugsland theme.

Attachments

• move-bugs-rides.jpg
    move-bugs-rides.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 53

Ismael Flores

I personally see him as Smog the Dragon but that's me.

The autopia cars need to look like this:

img_76063c4f0fb88434ade3985dc1a86040_1520073083081_original.jpg

with glow in the dark street markers like the UK might be getting. The cars should be electric and no center rail and self guiding.

now that would be awesome, even better if they could use a portion of the old peoplemover track that runs through the main section of tomorrowland. Have the cars be self driving for a portion of the track at ground level and then have it merge with the upper track and at that point the cars are self driven. All cars would have lap bars to stop people from getting up and computer system would take over the speed ratio for the upper level.

Then remove the majority of the ground level autopia, get rid of the inner "8" shaped loop of the monorial and any leftover people mover track in that area and expand with a new attraction in that huge piece of wasted land. i would even accept a frozen area to go with the matterhorn.

SSG

The only thing surprising to me about these additions is the target date of 2020, meaning a good year of disaster level crowding at Disneyland due to Galaxy's Edge, with nothing compelling to send at least some people over to DCA. We can debate the merits of Marvel Land all we like, but it was always going to happen and it should have started long ago.

NormC

Except its not that simple. This is the reason its taken so long to get Marvel in the parks. Disney wants out of the contract, Universal won't let them, so its not as simple as writing a big fat check. Until the tides change it'll remain the same.

Some, including myself, believe that once the Fox merger completes Disney will be able to work with Universal on a trade. Fox properties are far more valuable for Universal in terms of the parks than Marvel. So trading the continued Universal use of Fox characters for regaining the park rights to Marvel is what Disney will likely get done.
Yes, there is always a means to a settlement.

TP2000

What's interesting is that the local media, notably the OC Register, hasn't done a story on this non-announcement announcement. Usually the Register can be counted on to pump up the latest Disneyland news.

Either Disney knew this was nothing big and didn't issue a press release, and/or the Register also acknowledges this was nothing big and declined to waste bandwidth on it. Either way, that's interesting.

This was basically an announcement of the Sunday closing of It's Tough To Be A Bug, and the future closing of Flik's Fun Fair.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Sorry, I haven't had time to read through this whole thread yet, but I'm a huge MCU fan, living in Florida (very jealous of you guys for being able to get this and not WDW also because of the dumb contract thing) really excited about this since I come to Disneyland every couple of years.
But ANYWAY.. Do we know at all any rumors as to what the Avengers and Spider-Man rides might be? I remember seeing some crazy patent of a swinging type ride for Spider-Man possibly?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Sorry, I haven't had time to read through this whole thread yet, but I'm a huge MCU fan, living in Florida (very jealous of you guys for being able to get this and not WDW also because of the dumb contract thing) really excited about this since I come to Disneyland every couple of years.
But ANYWAY.. Do we know at all any rumors as to what the Avengers and Spider-Man rides might be? I remember seeing some crazy patent of a swinging type ride for Spider-Man possibly?
The prevailing rumors at present are for SpiderMan to get that swinging ride and Avengers to be an indoor-launch coaster similar to GOTG going into Epcot.

Beyond that? it'll have your standard M&G locations and I think its pretty safe to assume at least one shop and eatery.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

Here's my guess. This gives GOTG a purpose as the Marvel Land Weenie.

View attachment 271589

that probably pretty close but i think the Avengers area you marked is way to small. That area you marked looks smaller than the animation building. that is too small for any coaster.

I see the Avengers ride taking up a good chunk of the remaining Timon lot and tucked up against the south side of the property. The side of of the showbuilding facing west can easily be covered in themed rockwork to serve as backdrop for Carsland. Owuld be something like what they did with the RSR show building.

somehow I picture it something like this, the land being a large wedge similar in design as Carsland. smaller additions at the entrance with stores, meet and greets and other interactive elements and then halfway through the land Spider-Man to your left and the Biggest showbuilding at the back with a signature attraction.

Guardians would be the weenie for the alternate entrance through Hollywood area, It would make sense to move the trolley barn further east so that it is placed in back of Guardians tower and closer to the property line. that would open up the middle area of the land. I actually don't know why they didn't do that to begin with, seems kind of stupid to put it in the middle of the property knowing that eventually that land was going to be developed.

MARVEL-2.jpg

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Lol, I have a feeling that if people don't recognize him as Dr. Strange, they are not going to recognize him as Sherlock. :p

Also re: not being obvious what's going on / who he is, isn't that the same of any original attraction without any previous established backstory? It's up to WDI to set that up during the queue/pre-show/etc.

I think the minute that a celebrity is introduced in a theme park ride it muddies the waters. I think it slams you into face first into reality and out of the story. It would be a lot easier and require a lot less back story to simply create a ride that features a sorcerer, than to have to explain why the cute, British guy is in a Marvel ride and what he's doing there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What's interesting is that the local media, notably the OC Register, hasn't done a story on this non-announcement announcement. Usually the Register can be counted on to pump up the latest Disneyland news.

Either Disney knew this was nothing big and didn't issue a press release, and/or the Register also acknowledges this was nothing big and declined to waste bandwidth on it. Either way, that's interesting.

This was basically an announcement of the Sunday closing of It's Tough To Be A Bug, and the future closing of Flik's Fun Fair.

Um, but they did:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/...set-to-exterminate-a-bugs-land-from-the-park/

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I think the minute that a celebrity is introduced in a theme park ride it muddies the waters. I think it slams you into face first into reality and out of the story. It would be a lot easier and require a lot less back story to simply create a ride that features a sorcerer, than to have to explain why the cute, British guy is in a Marvel ride and what he's doing there.

I don't think GOTG will age well for this reason. In 10 years, will it feel dated?

(The answer is yes)

MKeeler

Here's my guess. This gives GOTG a purpose as the Marvel Land Weenie.

View attachment 271589

I think this approach makes a lot of sense. Accessible from the parade corridor, with side paths going into Cars Land and Hollywood Backlot, opening up guest flow a bit. It would allow the rumored Avengers show building to use a lot of the Timon lot, creating a backdrop like Radiator Springs Racers.
Plus with your fuchsia area expanded to include the ITTBAB building and queue (to the left of where you have Spider-man indicated), there is a bit more room to have a wider entrance a little farther away from the Cars Land entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom