News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Ismael Flores

Where did this ant man shooter talk come from? I thought chapek just announced spiderman and the avengers. I'm hoping for a gut rebuild, no overlays. TOT was overlaid. Lets clear the land and get an original buildout. We'll get the best of both worlds if they phase it and overlay hollywoodland/expand behind the backlot like they wanted to, with half the land an overlay and half of it original.

We were just talking about the possibility of ITTBAB being partially gutted and repurpose the building for a clone of the Antman and Wasp ride being done in Hong Kong. If that was the case, that side of the Marvel area can still be themed as a green space so that it fit the existing theming bear grizzley falls.
Someone also mentioned the possibility of it being used for a stage show like the one coming to Paris.

Of course they can always gut it and exoand it and moléstele change the entry and exit point but he structure so that it is away from the main parade route.

If that was the case then they should use the old fast pass area and queue in my opinion to extend the offering of buena vista street with new eating facility and a nice garden plaza. :)
And not make it any major entry to the Marvel area

mickEblu

Where did this ant man shooter talk come from? I thought chapek just announced spiderman and the avengers. I'm hoping for a gut rebuild, no overlays. TOT was overlaid. Lets clear the land and get an original buildout. We'll get the best of both worlds if they phase it and overlay hollywoodland/expand behind the backlot like they wanted to, with half the land an overlay and half of it original.

Complete speculation for a few reasons. They re closing ITTBAB early to get started on something. Granted they could be closing it to start working on that area of whatever may be going there but it would be a lot easier to have a ride open with the new land if they stuck it in ITTBAB. I think they re getting a head start on a ride there. Either that or some 4D show placeholder but I wouldn’t put my money on them spending the resources on something short term.

Obviously Ant man makes sense there and the Q would need minimal retheming. I also believe Ant man would have no problems fitting in ITTBAB. They can clone the Hong kong version or parts of it which expedites things. I don’t see a scenario where they close 4 rides and a theatre show and replace it with meet n greets for 2+ years. Granted they weren’t the highest capacity attractions but still. Ant man to me sounds like the fastest way to get a ride to open with the land in 2020 and it would have really good capacity being an omnimover with no height restrictions. Maybe they even close Buzz and repurpose those vehicles? Ant man in ITTBAB also allows them to keep the entrance off the main artery though DCA in symphony with the surrounding area.

Also, I don’t think Spidey is going in ITTBAB, because they said GOTG would be the anchor (for now). Antman would be a smaller D ticket and technically complement GOTG.

Oh ya, there’s an oversized soda can in the poster art too.

I agree, a complete gut and rebuild is probably ideal but I could see them trying to expedite what they can and just have the center hub of the land (Fliks fun fair), Spidey and Avengers be the new stuff. The latter two in phases.

Last edited:

TROR

Complete speculation for a few reasons. They re closing ITTBAB early to get started on something. Granted they could be closing it to start working on that area of whatever may be going there but it would be a lot easier to have a ride open with the new land if they stuck it in ITTBAB. I think they re getting a head start on a ride there. Either that or some 4D show placeholder but I wouldn’t put my money on them spending the resources on something short term.

Obviously Ant man makes sense there and the Q would need minimal retheming. I also believe Ant man would have no problems fitting in ITTBAB. They can clone the Hong kong version or parts of it which expedites things. I don’t see a scenario where they close 4 rides and a theatre show and replace it with meet n greets for 2+ years. Granted they weren’t the highest capacity attractions but still. Ant man to me sounds like the fastest way to get a ride to open with the land in 2020 and it would have really good capacity being an omnimover. Maybe they even close Buzz and repurpose those vehicles?

I agree, a complete gut and rebuild is probably ideal but I could see them trying to expedite what they can and just have the center hub of the land (Fliks fun fair), Spidey and Avengers be the new stuff. The latter two in phases.
In your hypothetical scenario where DCA gets the Ant-Man ride, do we get Buzz removed from Tomorrowland to cut costs on ride vehicles or are we stuck with three different shooter rides?

mickEblu

In your hypothetical scenario where DCA gets the Ant-Man ride, do we get Buzz removed from Tomorrowland to cut costs on ride vehicles or are we stuck with three different shooter rides?

I think Buzz closes. Possibly to repurpose the ride vehicles or it would close whenever they re ready to renovate TL.

mickEblu

Is it bad that the only good thing I see in this news is that Marvel can't ruin Tomorrowland now? I'm just so fatigued by Marvel now it'll be nice having Disneyland as an ecape from it.

TL could be a big bright shining light and breath of fresh air that could come from all of this. It certainly can’t get worse.

cjkeating

I am only up to page eight on this so I don't know if anyone else has covered this but with these four a bug's land attractions gone (even with one likely to end up in Pixar Pier) DCA is losing three no height restriction attractions along with the water play area.

After these three rides I'd say the next ride up would be the carousel which isn't very child friendly with the seating on the horse/animals and then Mickey's Fun Wheel.

As much as many fans don't appear to have liked a bug's land it filled some of the Fantasyland aspects of DCA with two spinners and two slow moving rides.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But how does it make it immersive if it stops only as a nod-reference?

It would be immersive if they actually sell the soda within the environment. It's world building; gives one the impression the setting is real and functioning.

The immersion is going to be more than just a singlar reference.

This appears to be anything but a little secret. It's a 30 foot soda can.
And the hidden Mickey's are the worst kept secret in theme park history. Point is if you know what you are looking for and get the reference its like an inside secret. Plus I never said this would be a secret in itself, its a reference to something for fans of the content or those that want to learn more.

Also I will say at this point that this is a single piece of concept art. Its nice to postulate on what will or won't be within Marvel Land based this concept art. But its a little early yet to say for sure on what will be in the final land beyond the two announced attractions. For example this soda can may not even make it into the land.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I have always said that I thought Nemo Subs was only good for about two years after Dory came out. It's the highest cost of operation to capacity ratio at the resort. But it will likely last longer until they decide what to do with T'land.

By not long for this world in Nemo’s case I meant 5-7 years from now.

nevol

I'd be okay with them getting rid of Buzz and repurposing star tours for Black panther in dca. That IP deserves better, certainly, but at the minimum. I doubt doubt doubt that any of what you just said is happening though. Gutting one show building, and then another, and then transferring all of the ride hardware from show building A to show building B that would need to be changed dramatically... Nope. I think a flattening of a bug's land is in store. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both rides opens in 2020. Scratch that. Eventually, I think animation would go, and maybe spidey goes there.

Do we need hollywood blvd and a marvel street? Questions.

Is spidey really a D ticket? Doubtful. That ride system is way too cool. Family E ticket full of practical sets perhaps because the other 2 attractions are thrill rides.

mickEblu

I'd be okay with them getting rid of Buzz and repurposing star tours for Black panther in dca. That IP deserves better, certainly, but at the minimum. I doubt doubt doubt that any of what you just said is happening though. Gutting one show building, and then another, and then transferring all of the ride hardware from show building A to show building B that would need to be changed dramatically... Nope. I think a flattening of a bug's land is in store. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both rides opens in 2020. Scratch that. Eventually, I think animation would go, and maybe spidey goes there.

Do we need hollywood blvd and a marvel street? Questions.

Is spidey really a D ticket? Doubtful. That ride system is way too cool. Family E ticket full of practical sets perhaps because the other 2 attractions are thrill rides.

I think this was supposed to be a response to my post? You could be right. We shall see but I think a case can be made.

I could see them putting Spidey in Animation (or the backlot) which makes Hollywood even more obsolete.

I agree. That’s why I said I didn’t think Spidey was going in ITTBAB or wouldn’t be ready for 2020 because they said GOTG would be the anchor. If spidey Were to open with GOTG would it stil be the anchor? Maybe I’m reading too much into that one comment.

nevol

I think this was supposed to be a response to my post? You could be right. We shall see but I think a case can be made.

I could see them putting Spidey in Animation (or the backlot) which makes Hollywood even more obsolete.

I agree. That’s why I said I didn’t think Spidey was going in ITTBAB or wouldn’t be ready for 2020 because they said GOTG would be the anchor. If spidey Were to open with GOTG would it stil be the anchor? Maybe I’m reading too much into that one comment.
The way they worded that the land would be anchored by Guardians is weird. Rather than meaning it is the marquee attraction the way that carsland is anchored by radiator springs racers, I think they could just mean that the land/geography is anchored by guardians, as in, it is finally a wienie. The way that TOT anchors sunset blvd at dhs or cinderella castle anchors main street. You'll walk into the land from the parade route and toward guardians in a marvel universe rather than an unrelated kiddie land. Could it mean that Guardians is the marquee attraction? Maybe but doubtful. That doesn't make sense with Avengers and Spiderman coming soon.

As for the antman daydream, I'm over here wishing that buzz, turtle talk, monsters inc, and nemo get relocated to PP or voted off the island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom