Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If Disney were that concerned Kennedy would have been gone not long after TLJ had come out (and after all the hardcore cry babies had bitched and complained about Disney not doing what they expected them to do) Also they wouldn't have given Rian Johnson a trilogy movie deal and then signed the 2 guys that created GoT for TV for their own set of movies and then put into pre production a number of TV shows for their streaming service.

fractal

If Disney were that concerned Kennedy would have been gone not long after TLJ had come out (and after all the hardcore cry babies had bitched and complained about Disney not doing what they expected them to do) Also they wouldn't have given Rian Johnson a trilogy movie deal and then signed the 2 guys that created GoT for TV for their own set of movies and then put into pre production a number of TV shows for their streaming service.

Wall Street had figured TLJ to come in at $1.5 - $1.75billion officially. Unofficially, based on the enormous presales, the success of Rogue One, the big push in China and Rian Johnson hype there was chatter of TLJ hitting $2billion. There is no doubt in my mind that Iger will be feeling some heat from Wall Street over the current direction of SW franchise - most especially the Rian Johnson trilogy.

Not saying this to be proven right or wrong, just from a perspective of things to watch going forward.

Bairstow

I assume Kennedy or her staff made the decision to extended Johnson's contact and hire Beinoff and Weiss at their level. I mean, isn't that her whole job?

And even assuming the rumors about Last Jedi damaging the Star Wars brand in the long term are true, Disney wouldn't ditch Kennedy before it was actually made clear she's doing damage to their investment. Doing so preemptively, when the company line (and the overall box office numbers) says that Last Jedi did just fine, would spook shareholders.

Disney probably won't make any immediate decisions about Kennedy on the back of Solo, either. That movie would have to completely bomb, which is probably impossible given the sheer momentum of the Star Wars franchise at this point.

smile

Han Solo, you're our only hope.

;)
zach-galifianakis-clapping.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did TLJ kill your brother or something?

I knew you'd like that...

No...but the entire idea that this movie doesn't have controversy has killed part of my cerebellum since day one. It was obvious..

Not universally hated, nor loved...definitely something that isn't gonna be settle anytime soon...wasn't settled by a box office chart...nor a critics score.

And I've moved on now ;)

erasure fan1

I knew you'd like that...

No...but the entire idea that this movie doesn't have controversy has killed part of my cerebellum since day one. It was obvious..

Not universally hated, nor loved...definitely something that isn't gonna be settle anytime soon...wasn't settled by a box office chart...nor a critics score.

And I've moved on now ;)
I really liked the movie but I can see how and why it didn't live up to a lot of peoples expectations. I don't see why others won't/can't admit that. The words vocal minority likes to be thrown around a lot but its a lot more than that. The vocal minority is the this ruined star wars crowd. There is a lot more meh attitude than some would like to admit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really liked the movie but I can see how and why it didn't live up to a lot of peoples expectations. I don't see why others won't/can't admit that. The words vocal minority likes to be thrown around a lot but its a lot more than that. The vocal minority is the this ruined star wars crowd. There is a lot more meh attitude than some would like to admit.

Count me in the general "meh"....

Most of my comments are born of my opinion that the leadership is questionable at best...and longterm both fans and disney should be worried. Developing story.

MerlinTheGoat

The new trilogy was announced prior to the release of TLJ when Disney was confident in Rian, and that it would shatter financial expectations. I doubt they still have the same confidence in him. I don't think they would have signed him on to continue with the franchise had they waited until after TLJ released to decide. It will be interesting to see whether the new trilogy actually ends up happening, or at least if Rian Johnson is kept on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The new trilogy was announced prior to the release of TLJ when Disney was confident in Rian, and that it would shatter financial expectations. I doubt they still have the same confidence in him. I don't think they would have signed him on to continue with the franchise had they waited until after TLJ released to decide. It will be interesting to see whether the new trilogy actually ends up happening, or at least if Rian Johnson is kept on.

Yep...expect a "mutual parting of the ways"...aka a silent contract buyout.

This guy aint the one. Bad understanding of the emotional pull of Star Wars...not a good story teller...terrible with humor.

It's either him or the bosses...no other suspects.

MerlinTheGoat

It wouldn't be the first time directors were fired from Star Wars, happened with IX and Solo. Rogue One also had reshoots with a new director. Someone was also removed from an unannounced SW project, rumored a Boba Fett film (possibly canned now).

I'm willing to bet confidence in Rian has dropped significantly (if there's any left at all). It would not surprise me if he is removed from the new trilogy, or the movies are canned. We shall see.

I wasn't blown away with Force Awakens or anything (TLJ retroactively made it worse too), but I found it an enjoyable and decent movie. It was enough to get me excited for the next one. Last Jedi managed to do something none of the previous main 7 Star Wars movies have- it killed my hope and interest in the future of the "Skywalker Saga" as some call it. Even the prequels didn't manage to do THAT.

I actually feel sorry for JJ Abrams because he now has a huge mess to somehow attempt to clean up and salvage. I'm not sure if he can do it, but I hope he can and wish him luck... Or rather may the Force be with him.

WhatJaneSays

Mark only retracted his statements about Luke because he was forced to do so. Can't impact ticket / home video sales, right?

Doing what's right and what's profitable are never the same thing.

He retracted his statement because it was phrased in a way that people took 90% out of context and were purposely trying make it into something it was not.

Last edited:

tk924

I read everything Hamill said about Luke in TLJ and it was pretty clear.
And if you know Mark Hamill, that's awesome. Yes, please let him know that I know. Or you can give him my contact info here. Maybe he could sign up on these forums. I'd love for him to post his thoughts on TLJ here. That'd be great.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I read everything Hamill said about Luke in TLJ and it was pretty clear.
And if you know Mark Hamill, that's awesome. Yes, please let him know that I know. Or you can give him my contact info here. Maybe he could sign up on these forums. I'd love for him to post his thoughts on TLJ here. That'd be great.
It would be awesome if you could get him to show at my birthday party too, @MisterPenguin...he screwed me and didn't show at any of them 81-84 😡

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He retracted his statement because it was phrased in a way that people took 90% out of context and were purposely trying make it into something it was not.

Since the dust has settled...I was wondering how the last jedi did?

Long box office run? Massive merchandise sales? No backlash with the studio or fanbase? No new creative team brought in? No Leaks as to why treverrow was "fired"?

Just curious😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom