Resort days? Are they worth it?

Mainahman

Looking at going back for our 10th wedding anniversary next september. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a deluxe. (Thinking Wilderness Lodge) IS a resort day worth it? Say arrive on a Saturday, and leave on a Saturday.

Saturday- Resort day to recover from drive
Sunday- Friday Park Days with 1 more resort day / visiting others etc day in there
Saturday- Leave early to drive home.

This past trip we arrived on a saturday, and went right to the parks, and hit the parks hard till the following friday. Left early on saturday to drive home. it was a bit exausting even for me, and we almost ran out of things to do, short of standing in a 3 hour line for 7 dwarfs which i wont do.

Our only resort stays have been at POP century, so its always a bit crowded its hard to come back and relax.

Thanks!

Mainahman

Original Poster
That makes sense, and if I was that close I'd do the same. I used to drive down with my parents all the time (we never flew) but it's a looooong drive down I95 from NY to FL. I don't have that kind of patience anymore... LOL
We used to live in maine, and that was a guaranteed flight, but after driving it for last weeks trip, it wasnt too too bad. ill gladly do it again.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

Mini golf could be fun! Weve been to disney springs, and short of the cupcake vending machine were not really into that.
Disney Springs is nice if you are into shopping/window shopping. I like to go in the mornings because its not that crowded and I can look around. Night time at DS is fun too, its just busy. They have street performers out and about. The Fantasia golf course is my favorite. Winter summer land is really fun too, but the Fantasia course just feels more 'Disney'. Fun tip, it is starts to rain while you are there, take your receipt to the desk and they will give you a pass to come back once it clears up.

Upvote 0

Plowboy

When we were younger we could do a park/parks per day for the entire trip. Now that we're a little more mature (neither of us will see 60 again) we try to build in a day or two of down time to resort hop, play mini golf, lay by the pool or just take it a little easier in general. For us it makes for a more enjoyable trip and by the time we get home we don't feel as if we need a vacation from the vacation.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
Disney Springs is nice if you are into shopping/window shopping. I like to go in the mornings because its not that crowded and I can look around. Night time at DS is fun too, its just busy. They have street performers out and about. The Fantasia golf course is my favorite. Winter summer land is really fun too, but the Fantasia course just feels more 'Disney'. Fun tip, it is starts to rain while you are there, take your receipt to the desk and they will give you a pass to come back once it clears up.
We went in the evening one day last week to meet up with some friends that live in orlando now, and it just felt to mallish for us. Thats a cool tip on the golf!
When we were younger we could do a park/parks per day for the entire trip. Now that we're a little more mature (neither of us will see 60 again) we try to build in a day or two of down time to resort hop, play mini golf, lay by the pool or just take it a little easier in general. For us it makes for a more enjoyable trip and by the time we get home we don't feel as if we need a vacation from the vacation.
Were still young so to speak, but i often feel like we need a couple days to recover when we get back which may not be what is best on upcoming trips.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

We drive down too, and time our arrival for sometime in the evening. And we stay off site that night, to save a bit of money. Often we can stay somewhere close by on hotel points. Then early the next morning we check into our WDW resort and hit the first park. We used to be park commandos, but it just became too exhausting.

So we adjusted our mindset. After all, a vacation should be enjoyed, not just endured. We started taking an afternoon break from after lunch til late afternoon at the resort, then returning to the parks for dinner and the evening.Then every 3-4 days we'd take a resort (or at least a non park) day. Sleep in. Leisurely breakfast. Pool time. Maybe golf or a trip to DTD in the afternoon. Signature dinner or dinner show in the evening. Really restores your energy for the rest of the trip. We've never stayed less than a week. Our sweet spot is around 10-12 days.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
We drive down too, and time our arrival for sometime in the evening. And we stay off site that night, to save a bit of money. Often we can stay somewhere close by on hotel points. Then early the next morning we check into our WDW resort and hit the first park. We used to be park commandos, but it just became too exhausting.

So we adjusted our mindset. After all, a vacation should be enjoyed, not just endured. We started taking an afternoon break from after lunch til late afternoon at the resort, then returning to the parks for dinner and the evening.Then every 3-4 days we'd take a resort (or at least a non park) day. Sleep in. Leisurely breakfast. Pool time. Maybe golf or a trip to DTD in the afternoon. Signature dinner or dinner show in the evening. Really restores your energy for the rest of the trip. We've never stayed less than a week. Our sweet spot is around 10-12 days.
I'm starting to like the idea. Our go to is a Saturday to Saturday so we can travel on the weekends

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

YES!!! Off days in the middle of the trip give us lots of energy for the rest of the week and recharge our batteries. Sometimes, we do a party and go into the parks at 4 so it's not a total "off day." But for off days, we have a ts breakfast, head to Disney Springs or mini-golf for the Boardwalk and spend some time at the pool. Plenty busy but relaxed at the same time. Mid week is also a great time to go to Disney Springs and pick up merch that you haven't seen in the parks!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We tend to have a dedicated resort day in the beginning, so the kids can enjoy the pool, but we do try to take time out during soe days to go back to the resort to chillax for a few hours before heading back to the parks.

Upvote 0

JD80

With young kids and the fact we still go open to close anyway, we typically schedule our vacations with an off day in between park days.
So with a week trip and 5 full days, we go Park, Off, Park, Off, Park and the off days are pool days and disney spring fun.

We took a short trip in August where it was only 4 days and we did Park Park Off Park and the double Park was exhausting.

Mind you I had a 4 yo and a 2 yo at the time.

Upvote 0

OneofThree

It is of course, all subjective. Over the years I've stayed on-property from as many as 28 days at a time to just overnight. If I'm there for 10 days or more, taking a day off from the parks has definitely been "worth it" to us. That said, I see where there are those who consider going and not visiting the parks at all, or infrequently. I have to say -it's almost impossible to justify paying Disney's prices for accommodations if the parks aren't a major component of the equation, at least on most days.

Upvote 0

WDW74

Our modus operandi: BCV is home, adult "kids" who frequently accompany us, go frequently enough that the urge to "commando" has been gone for a while, park in late am to early afternoon (when crowds or heat are rising), resort time till early evening (beer/drinks storm along or cove pool depending on mood or beer/drinks/ book /balcony), dinner then fireworks at one of the parks. Works for us !

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

For the day in the middle of your visit, did you consider making it a mostly resort day except for a short excursion to MK to use your three fastpasses. If you stay at Wilderness Lodge, you could do a take a mid-morning boat to MK, get your 3 rides in and head back to Wilderness for lunch.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I don't like entire days off. I get bored by lunch time. However, I never to go the parks on travel day (either the front or the back end), and I mix in two half days off where we'll only go the parks for about four hours and take it easy the rest of the day. We usually take a morning off after a late-night fireworks show and an evening off on the day we watch Festival of Fantasy.

For the day in the middle of your visit, did you consider making it a mostly resort day except for a short excursion to MK to use your three fastpasses. If you stay at Wilderness Lodge, you could do a take a mid-morning boat to MK, get your 3 rides in and head back to Wilderness for lunch.
Smart, and one of the reasons I consider full days off to be a waste. You're not using your full FP+ capacity.

Upvote 0

JD80

You're assuming the person is pay for tickets for every day that they are there. I only bought 3 days of tickets when I was there for 4 days (not counting travel days).

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

You're assuming the person is pay for tickets for every day that they are there. I only bought 3 days of tickets when I was there for 4 days (not counting travel days).

The difference between 5 days and 6 days (which the OP is contemplating) is $10 per ticket. That's $3.33 per fastpass ride ... local carnival ride prices. I assumed that if someone was looking at staying at a deluxe for a week, the $10 per ticket wouldn't be a factor.

Upvote 0

JD80

True from that point of view.

Still a 5 pack of tickets is what, $400? (looking at officialticketcenter.com) Pack of 3 $80 less.

If you have a family of 4 that's about $400 of savings which isn't nothing.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

True from that point of view.

Still a 5 pack of tickets is what, $400? (looking at officialticketcenter.com) Pack of 3 $80 less.

If you have a family of 4 that's about $400 of savings which isn't nothing.

The OP was talking about 5 park days or 6 park days (not 3 vs 5).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom