Resort days? Are they worth it?

Mainahman

Looking at going back for our 10th wedding anniversary next september. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a deluxe. (Thinking Wilderness Lodge) IS a resort day worth it? Say arrive on a Saturday, and leave on a Saturday.

Saturday- Resort day to recover from drive
Sunday- Friday Park Days with 1 more resort day / visiting others etc day in there
Saturday- Leave early to drive home.

This past trip we arrived on a saturday, and went right to the parks, and hit the parks hard till the following friday. Left early on saturday to drive home. it was a bit exausting even for me, and we almost ran out of things to do, short of standing in a 3 hour line for 7 dwarfs which i wont do.

Our only resort stays have been at POP century, so its always a bit crowded its hard to come back and relax.

Thanks!

JIMINYCR

Depends on what your goal is for the trip. I want to hit the parks hard with resort time late in the evening. But I know several folks who have great enjoyment lounging at the resort, dining at the restaurants, avoid fighting the crowds for the attractions entirely and they have a wonderful time. If you dont mind avoiding the other Disney park days thats fine. You can make your trip as stress free as you like.

Upvote 0

DRD

I think a resort day is a good idea, especially with kids. Ours needed an afternoon to do nothing but relax after about day 3. We called an audible and cancelled our plans that afternoon/evening and just hung out by the pool at the Lodge to recharge. For adults, probably less needed, but definitely worth considering.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

We've been able to go to WDW often so resort days are usually a must as we don't feel like we're missing anything at the parks. If you really want to get to all attractions/rides/shows then it may not be worthwhile to do a complete day but still take time to enjoy the atmosphere of the resort. Especially Wilderness. We have also had trips when we were there 3 days and didn't hit up a park at all so there is always plenty to do including being able to watch fireworks while not be in the actual park.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
If I was going to spend the money on a Deluxe, I most certainly would plan time to enjoy the property.
See thats kind of where i am. If i am spending the money to do a deluxe, i want to actually experience it. Usually we run run run, so POP Century worked, but we saw how crowded it gets this past trip and bus service was far from magical, and called it time to upgrade.

I think even i learned that if were driving, even if its only a 40 dollar savings, day 1 should be resort only, even if i get there at 10 am, i just drove 11 hours straight, and its hard to not be a zombie.

We usually plan extra days at Magic Kingdom to allow our daughter to play Sorcerers, but shes 18 now, and my wife has decided this past trip was her last free one, so if she wants to go she can pay her own way, considering shes getting ready to graduate hair school and get her career started, its safe to say the next few trips will be just the 2 of us, and a bit more downtime might be nice. Both of us prefer EPCOT and Animal Kingdom the most, theres still things we like to do at Magic Kingdom, but nothing we cant get done in a day for the most part, same With Hollywood, just isnt alot there right now. So at 5 or even 6 days if we did split days even would give some downtime.

We've been able to go to WDW often so resort days are usually a must as we don't feel like we're missing anything at the parks. If you really want to get to all attractions/rides/shows then it may not be worthwhile to do a complete day but still take time to enjoy the atmosphere of the resort. Especially Wilderness. We have also had trips when we were there 3 days and didn't hit up a park at all so there is always plenty to do including being able to watch fireworks while not be in the actual park.
I was thinking like a low key resort day, lounge by the pool, have a few drinks, cap the night off with a spirit of aloha show, and maybe fireworks from a boat dock etc.

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

If we're staying at a deluxe, even a moderate a Resort day is a now must for us. This past September we spent 3 days at the resort and only one day at a park. We are a family that would be at the parks all day or take a few hours break during mid-day so I was a little worried about so many resort days. But hubs needed a relaxing vacation and I needed a Disney fix. It was one of the best vacations we've had. We slept in a bit, headed down to the pool, had a few pool drinks, went back to the room to shower then went to Disney Springs or did some of the resort entertainment. At night we would go to a signature dining (something we've never done) then come back to our own resort for night time pool time or movie. Of course we had no kids on this trip so a few more drinks than usual were consumed.

I would definitely have resort day. You don't want to burn out your other half doing non stop parks, especially when there is so much else to do!
Here is a trip report from that trip if your interested. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/i-just-couldnt-hang-with-the-big-dogs.934408/

Upvote 0

exnihlio13

We're doing a resort day this go 'round to split up 4 days at parks and are also considering either popping over to Disney Springs or spending 2-3 hours at a Disney waterpark. Sort of slipping in a 1/4 day thing along with downtime at the resort, pool, etc.
We also booked tickets for Medieval Times in the resort day evening (since we won't be going to see any fireworks) and plan on surprising the kids (11 & 8) with it. Like completely..they've never even heard of the place. Should be fun...especially the "no utensils" part.

Upvote 0

mmelka

If I were to be staying at Deluxe/Moderate resort, I would definitely want to have a resort day, or be staying long enough to use the resort for relaxing mornings/evenings depending on the park plan for the day. My wife and I went for 10 days our last trip, and used one day as a resort day/Disney Springs exploring. But if I was staying at Copper Creek, I could definitely see myself spending more evenings relaxing at the outdoor bar or by the pool where I had no desire to hang out at my off property timeshare this past time.

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

It's always nice to have a "resort day" in the middle of your trip, where you can catch your breath and enjoy everything your resort has to offer.

The reality is, at least for me - I want to be "doing something" (read: in the parks) every last possible minute. 😜

Upvote 0

belledream

I am a huge park commando, yet I find that some of our best days and memories came from the days we devoted to a particular resort restaurant we had always wanted to try, but never found it the easiest to get there, and end up spending the entire day exploring the ins and outs of the resort lobbys, shops, hallways, etc. Hopping is the best! (Around the monorail/boat to WL) or the Crescent Lake resorts. It really opened a whole new world of a different kind of Disney magic to discover for us.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
It's always nice to have a "resort day" in the middle of your trip, where you can catch your breath and enjoy everything your resort has to offer.

The reality is, at least for me - I want to be "doing something" (read: in the parks) every last possible minute. 😜
See thats my reality. i feel like if im not in a park im doing something wrong, but i also feel if im staying somewhere like that then its worth spending a day there, or doing a pool day, followed by a nice dinner at a resort restaurant or dinner show.

I think for us 5 days of parks would be good.

1.5 days for epcot
1.5 days for Magic Kingdom
1 day for animal Kingdom
1 day for Hollywood.

Doing a 7 day stay, arrival day can be a unwind and pool day, then somewhere in the middle take a break day too.

I am a huge park commando, yet I find that some of our best days and memories came from the days we devoted to a particular resort restaurant we had always wanted to try, but never found it the easiest to get there, and end up spending the entire day exploring the ins and outs of the resort lobbys, shops, hallways, etc. Hopping is the best! (Around the monorail/boat to WL) or the Crescent Lake resorts. It really opened a whole new world of a different kind of Disney magic to discover for us.
im a notorius commando, trying to squeeze the most out of every minute in the parks, etc, but it does sound alluring.

Upvote 0

belledream

im a notorius commando, trying to squeeze the most out of every minute in the parks, etc, but it does sound alluring.
It was so hard at first to bear the idea of axing an entire day at the parks...but eating good food, renting a boat, and maybe still catching fireworks from a unique vantage point really make the day bearable. ;)

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

...Doing a 7 day stay, arrival day can be a unwind and pool day, then somewhere in the middle take a break day too...
That's my rationale too... Arrival and departure days are the "resort days" since it doesn't pay to go to a park. What invariably ends up happening is that we don't get there until later, so it doesn't leave too much time... Whereas departure days are screwed up by MDE wanting to pick you up ridiculously early. Believe me, we've tried. Late afternoon flight - still getting picked up at noon. It's insane. So we gave up on departure days.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
That's my rationale too... Arrival and departure days are the "resort days" since it doesn't pay to go to a park. What invariably ends up happening is that we don't get there until later, so it doesn't leave too much time... Whereas departure days are screwed up by MDE wanting to pick you up ridiculously early. Believe me, we've tried. Late afternoon flight - still getting picked up at noon. It's insane. So we gave up on departure days.

Were only 700 miles away so we drive. It costs me like 40 bucks in gas to drive there, so the departure day, we always get on the road at like 7 am so we can be home by 7 pm.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
It was so hard at first to bear the idea of axing an entire day at the parks...but eating good food, renting a boat, and maybe still catching fireworks from a unique vantage point really make the day bearable. ;)
Thats what i was thinking. Sleep in a bit, pool bar, spirit of aloha, and fireworks from poly beach sounds aluring, maybe even the monorail bar crawl.

Upvote 0

imahistorygeek

We went from park commandos to hanging out at the resort and then getting around to visiting the parks. For us (@lostpro9het), it was a completely different style of vacationing and we had the same "we gotta be doing something" mindset. Now, we do feel we are doing something. We're hanging out at the resort pool. Kidani has our favorite pool and we could easily spend the whole day poolside and not miss the parks. Once you have a taste of the sweet, hanging at the resort life, it's hard (IMO) to return to the commando style of visiting the parks.

Side note: If you do decide to stay at Wilderness Lodge and are looking for an anniversary dinner, Artist Point is excellent.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Original Poster
We went from park commandos to hanging out at the resort and then getting around to visiting the parks. For us (@lostpro9het), it was a completely different style of vacationing and we had the same "we gotta be doing something" mindset. Now, we do feel we are doing something. We're hanging out at the resort pool. Kidani has our favorite pool and we could easily spend the whole day poolside and not miss the parks. Once you have a taste of the sweet, hanging at the resort life, it's hard (IMO) to return to the commando style of visiting the parks.

Side note: If you do decide to stay at Wilderness Lodge and are looking for an anniversary dinner, Artist Point is excellent.
7 days in the parks is a lot of parks! Even my feet felt it. Going in early september means pool is needed! ill have to check that out for sure. I was thinking a return to YAk and Yeti, but ill give that a look too!

Theres a time and a place for commando, and normal trips that seems to be our way, but i think where this would be an anniversary trip, we would write down what we want to do in each park, and then have resort time to relax and recharge, and give the feet a break.

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

Were only 700 miles away so we drive. It costs me like 40 bucks in gas to drive there, so the departure day, we always get on the road at like 7 am so we can be home by 7 pm.
That makes sense, and if I was that close I'd do the same. I used to drive down with my parents all the time (we never flew) but it's a looooong drive down I95 from NY to FL. I don't have that kind of patience anymore... LOL

Upvote 0

21stamps

In 2016 we had 3 full resorts days, Plus- another day where we didn’t go to a park until after 8pm, and -another day where we didn’t go to a park til 6:30pm.

Here’s some of the things we did on those days-
Rent a poolside cabana.
Rent a boat for exploring 7 Seas lagoon & Bay Lake.
Rented bikes.
Visited the stables at FW.
Played ping pong.
Played foosball.
Swim and slides.
Drink.
Eat.
2 Mini Golf courses.
Hung out at the Boardwalk.
Played checkers.
Watched an OSU game.

Some of my best Disney memories are not from inside a park. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom