The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4: Homecoming Edition - Discussion Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
How many of you guys have seen the Grand Opening of Walt Disney World special?

I've been enamored with Opening Day WDW from the day I saw the drawn-out maps of the Magic Kingdom from 1971. There's a sense of promise that you feel in that WED Enterprises had a Whole New World to built out the final Walt was alive to Imagineer. WED never truly fulfill Walt's intentions by not constructing EPCOT, but I digress.

What I will elaborate on is how ever since WED established the first phase of development on WDW property, there's been upsets. I hate thinking cynically, but from an analytical stand-point, there seems to many missed opportunities. Ranging from the TTC to how Imagineering handles park maintenance and expansion, I don't think a lot of what the Company has done is not in the way that Walt would have done it. This has its' pros and its' cons, but I'm more interested in the cons... at least this time around.

Thinking I might write a lil' series about things like these. Call it "How Walt Would've Done It" or something like that. Watch the video, if you haven't, and tell me what you think :D

The only thing I will say that I think Walt would have been impressed by in the early stages of WDW and WED was that they used WDW metaphorically as an experimental prototype community of tomorrow. I believe the first 911 emergency system was developed for WDW, Discovery Island and environmental protection (something way ahead of its time) among other aspects like the monorail used as a transportation system rather than an attraction.

Also the 1973 oil crisis had an impact on WED's ambitions, but you are right I mean just look at the 1966 announcement of E.P.C.O.T -- Walt envisioned the 'world' an entirely different way, but while the results were entirely different I do thing the remaining imagineers tried to do the best they knew how...because Walt was the engine and when you cut the engine out (only 5 years before 1971), it will lead to some of the cons you're thinking of...an interesting project! Would like to hear more!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
sTHbq7y.jpg

Voxel

President of Progress City
A chicken or the egg type question...but who is smarter, the A.I. robot, or the software designer that built the A.I. ?

Depends on the A.I. In basic AI usually never but in specialized AI I would say software 8/10 times. Ignoring the obvious examples like Watson beating Jeopardy, the question becomes is an A.I "Smart" or just faster because it can consider more facts or inputs at a time. And AI that exam Air Frame data, a human could do it but it would take the significantly longer.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The only thing I will say that I think Walt would have been impressed by in the early stages of WDW and WED was that they used WDW metaphorically as an experimental prototype community of tomorrow. I believe the first 911 emergency system was developed for WDW, Discovery Island and environmental protection (something way ahead of its time) among other aspects like the monorail used as a transportation system rather than an attraction.

Also the 1973 oil crisis had an impact on WED's ambitions, but you are right I mean just look at the 1966 announcement of E.P.C.O.T -- Walt envisioned the 'world' an entirely different way, but while the results were entirely different I do thing the remaining imagineers tried to do the best they knew how...because Walt was the engine and when you cut the engine out (only 5 years before 1971), it will lead to some of the cons you're thinking of...an interesting project! Would like to hear more!
Should have built a Nuclear Reactor to power the world! We don't need no oil on Disney Property!

Suchomimus

@S.P.E.W whats your lay of the land for this animal kingdom/disneysea hybrid park?
When I said my AK will take some inspiration from DisneySEA, I didn’t mean with the layout.
Like what type of things are you looking to include?
The Americas, Arctic, Australia, Africa, Asia, The Lost World (for prehistoric beasts), Beastly Kingdom, and two original lands, one similar to S.W.Wilson’s S.E.A. Base, the other being similar to Discovery Island and the Oasis, in a different order.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
When I said my AK will take some inspiration from DisneySEA, I didn’t mean with the layout.
The Americas, Arctic, Australia, Africa, Asia, The Lost World (for prehistoric beasts), Beastly Kingdom, and two original lands, one similar to S.W.Wilson’s S.E.A. Base, the other being similar to Discovery Island and the Oasis, in a different order.
Cool beans - do you have any specific attractions for these lands?

I'm asking because you were looking for someone to do a map...unless you just want a basic map of the lands without details in them.

MA Screamin'

No doubt in my mind that the creation of the RCID and how it was used to its' fullest potential is still impressive to this day. Curious if Walt established the Improvement District before his death... I feel like I should know that. Thanks for mentioning the emergency system, I have no idea!

The monorail is probably the first factor I'd nit-pick. Where they started with the TTC as a hub and having the direct and Resort loops branch off... that's great. Not to sound condescending, but seriously, that's a great base to build from. But, I would've loved to see how it would've functioned with EPCOT itself. If EPCOT was to succeed, I feel the first reason why would've been the transportation infrastructure between the Airport, the Monorail, and the PeopleMovers. I wish that could've seen the light of day.

I'd love you to explain how the Oil Crisis played into the phases after Opening Day. Was it the Asian, Persian, etc. Hotels not being built?

Suchomimus

Cool beans - do you have any specific attractions for these lands?

I'm asking because you were looking for someone to do a map...unless you just want a basic map of the lands without details in them.
Yes I do in fact. One E-Ticket attraction I’m imagineering is Sasquatch River Run for the North American section. The mountain itself will be the Candian Rockies and the final drop will be a cross between the drops from Jurassic Park Rapids and Kali River Rapids. I also want to have a suspended dark ride about “Up” and a roller coaster through a temple guarded by an enormous anaconda. And in addition, I’m also adding a boat ride (similar to Discovery River Cruises) that goes from what is my AK’s Main Street to Africa, South America, and The Lost World, and a train that goes from said AK’s Main Street, to Africa, Asia, North America, and Australia.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
No doubt in my mind that the creation of the RCID and how it was used to its' fullest potential is still impressive to this day. Curious if Walt established the Improvement District before his death... I feel like I should know that. Thanks for mentioning the emergency system, I have no idea!

The monorail is probably the first factor I'd nit-pick. Where they started with the TTC as a hub and having the direct and Resort loops branch off... that's great. Not to sound condescending, but seriously, that's a great base to build from. But, I would've loved to see how it would've functioned with EPCOT itself. If EPCOT was to succeed, I feel the first reason why would've been the transportation infrastructure between the Airport, the Monorail, and the PeopleMovers. I wish that could've seen the light of day.

I'd love you to explain how the Oil Crisis played into the phases after Opening Day. Was it the Asian, Persian, etc. Hotels not being built?
For the Oil Embargo it dropped tourism to the point that an extra 3 deluxe style resorts wouldn't be needed and the projects eventually shelved. Also I find the story behind Thunder Mesa interesting because it was just the wrong place at the wrong time. WRE was supposed to be WDW's version of Pirates, and in addition be WDW's first coaster thrill ride.

It would have been a monumental achievement, but the resort guests demanded the Pirates attraction from DL...so WED was forced to fast-track a shortened version of DL's Pirates to meet guest demands. Thus WRE would not have the same unique appeal. Then with the popularity of space travel and Space Mountain in 1975...the mine train roller coaster part of Thunder Mesa is now no longer the first coaster of WDW. So it lost both titles in the span of a few years...and then Tony Baxter comes along and designs something very similar to the mine coaster of Thunder Mesa to replace Nature's Wonderland in DL...and there we have Big Thunder Mountain on both coasts instead. Fortunately we have @MonorailRed to continue on the WRE lol

But I agree with you I would have loved to see E.P.C.O.T the city, while I do have a fond admiration for EPCOT Center....a working city would have been something special.

spacemt354

Chili's
Yes I do in fact. One E-Ticket attraction I’m imagineering is Sasquatch River Run for the North American section. The mountain itself will be the Candian Rockies and the final drop will be a cross between the drops from Jurassic Park Rapids and Kali River Rapids. I also want to have a suspended dark ride about “Up” and a roller coaster through a temple guarded by an enormous anaconda. And in addition, I’m also adding a boat ride (similar to Discovery River Cruises) that goes from what is my AK’s Main Street to Africa, South America, and The Lost World, and a train that goes from said AK’s Main Street, to Africa, Asia, North America, and Australia.
Sounds cool! I will probably be able to get to it this weekend...the more details the better though if you want a map.

DisneyFan18

If I may suggest, maybe instead of an enormous anaconda at the Temple coaster, you can use Quetzacoatl:
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls.jpeg He has a really cool design, and what would be more thrilling than meeting one of the primordial mesoamerican gods! And his name literally means the feathered serpent :)

mickeyfan5534

If I may suggest, maybe instead of an enormous anaconda at the Temple coaster, you can use Quetzacoatl:
He has a really cool design, and what would be more thrilling than meeting one of the primordial mesoamerican gods! And his name literally means the feathered serpent :)
So random fun fact about Quetzalcoatl, we know literally nothing about it other than it's a feathered serpent. This has been mickeyfan's useless fact minute, join us next week where we talk about something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom