Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

rle4lunch

@rle4lunch

People are OK with it for a variety of reasons (and I know you are fine with IP, I believe so this isn't necessarily geared towards you). A ride to me is a bit different than a night show. RoE has long been incredibly popular and gee, it lacks IP. But they don't seem to understand this, IP can work in a lot of places but I don't think it needs to be EVERYWHERE, but apparently executives and other guests disagree with us. Mary Poppins also isn't replacing anything in the pavilion and it's a revered classic. It's interesting that Poppins seems to be more or less accepted but Ratatouille is a problem ... (though maybe Rat is more to do with the ride itself not matching expectations set).

Frozen and Guardians just don't belong. Personally I can justify others more. Some can't or won't. It is what it is, we all think differently lol

I know. I'm just in a mood this morning and throwing that out to the wolves. I'm personally good with no IP ever being in RoE, it really dowsn't need it. I'm ready for something different for the show tho. Something radically different.

Kman101

I'm always open to new. I just don't know that adding IP for the sake of it makes for a good show. Would adding IP to Rivers of Light but without changing much else, really improve it? We'll see what they do. Happily Ever After, I expect to be flooded by IP. They did that one well, so I'll give them a shot. But don't we have enough night shows with IP (Disney Movie Magic, Star Wars fireworks, Fantasmic!, HEA, Once Upon a Time) flashing by us as their popular songs play?

I'd have been fine if they updated the slightly boring middle portion. I like the beginning and ending. It is time for new. I just hope they do it right and I'm not even 'attached' to RoE.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
But don't we have enough night shows with IP (Disney Movie Magic, Star Wars fireworks, Fantasmic!, HEA, Once Upon a Time) flashing by us as their popular songs play?

As a big fan of shows like Illuminations and Rivers of Light, I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, I don't think Iger feels the same way. I heard about an interview Iger gave before the Acadamy Awards where the interviewer asked Iger about his thoughts on the fact that no Disney films were nominated for best picture. Iger basically said that the Academy Awards were nice and all (and a good source of publicity for ABC), but that the awards themselves are basically meaningless and, based on the box office returns of most Best Picture winners, making such movies are just bad business. He went on to basically say that the current trend in the industry is franchises and delivering characters that audiences know and love. I'd assume he has at least some say in the overall development of any new night time show for EPCOT and if he does and maintains this same attitude, it's hard to imagine the show not having any IP connections...

I'd be curious how the general public feels, but my hunch is that IP driven shows tend to have higher guest satisfaction ratings which also bodes poorly for the hopes of an IP free show.

DAK1928

Currently the new Epcot show is planned to use IP.

Would these IPs be primarily related to World Showcase, or would Future World also be represented in the new night spectacular?

Intuition tells me to expect a shift towards a more generalized production.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
To me it depends how they do it. If they make it HEA part 2, it will be a failure in my mind. If they make it RoE (or maybe something similar to Illuminations 25B or IlluminNations '86) with some IP sprinkled in, I'd be OK with it (although I'd prefer no IP at all...)

Kman101

I don't know why everyone is shocked, we knew it was inevitable the replacement for Reflections of Earth would be something along the lines of Reflections of Disney. Either way as long as the show itself is well done and the technology next level, I don't really care if its IP. That ship sailed years ago and its exhausting being frustrated at something out of my control.

Shocked and disappointment are two different things :) I'm not at all shocked.

I care in this case because I don't think it's necessary even though it needs an update but I agree with the sentiment of the IP ship has long sailed away, but this is a case of shoving it in just because and that's not always the right answer, even though Bob(s) believe it is and I'm sure the average guests will think it's amazing. And I'm not even emotionally invested in this show. I've watched it once (to be fair even if I like them most night shows are one and done for me, I usually bail on the parks by then lol and I don't do well shoved into a crowded area surrounded by people that don't move for an hour, weaving in and out of crowds is another matter).

They really do have enough Disney movie clip fests. I hope the new show is amazing, I'm sure the tech will be impressive. We'll see how they do it. I could love it. We hardly have any details about it aside from the use of IPs. It could be a quick montage or it could be the entire show. We don't know (though I'm sure Martin and others do)

TTA94

Its sounding to me like this new show will be a mixture of World of Color and Rivers of Light with pyro and drones lol. Not a bad thing if true except for the IP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Adding permanent fountains to World showcase lagoon would involve draining it (Which I don't think they'd want as it'd be too invasive),and I also think it wouldn't be practical because it is a natural body of water.

Hmmm... what if instead of putting in permanent piping in the lagoon, you found a way to put the fountain and a rechargeable electric motor on a floating barge? Add to it a LPS so that it can move around in a set choreography. Also add to it lights and a projector to project scenes on a mist-cloud. You can disguise the barge as belonging on the surface of the water by using a theme of some sort of lake-floating foliage.

It might just work... sporadically.

Kman101

Hmmm... what if instead of putting in permanent piping in the lagoon, you found a way to put the fountain and a rechargeable electric motor on a floating barge? Add to it a LPS so that it can move around in a set choreography. Also add to it lights and a projector to project scenes on a mist-cloud. You can disguise the barge as belonging on the surface of the water by using a theme of some sort of lake-floating foliage.

It might just work... sporadically.

At least they tried? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom