Cancel or not?

Leigh51

Original Poster
Hello all,after watching this sight for the last 2 months I am wondering should we go? I grew up watching WDW being built and have spent many hours there.But we haven't been in 8 years.I had our trip on my "Bucket List" to stay in the Contemporary Hotel and do WDW.But it sounds so regimented and not "Walt" like.Is it really that bad?I have booked 5 nights at the Contemporary (10/8-10/13).Has WDW changed or have the people going changed.WDW has always been my best memories.

TwilightZone

Hello all,after watching this sight for the last 2 months I am wondering should we go? I grew up watching WDW being built and have spent many hours there.But we haven't been in 8 years.I had our trip on my "Bucket List" to stay in the Contemporary Hotel and do WDW.But it sounds so regimented and not "Walt" like.Is it really that bad?I have booked 5 nights at the Contemporary (10/8-10/13).Has WDW changed or have the people going changed.WDW has always been my best memories.
Just enjoy it! Don't let the negative nancys on this site ruin disney for you. Sure there are things that fans get angry about, but one has to realize that they are happening for a reason.

nickys

Premium Member
Are you meaning the whole planning side of thing is worrying you?

If you really really want to eat in CRT on a specific day, then you will need to book that at 180 days.

And you also need to have a plan of what parks on each day, so you can book the fastpasses.

Other than that, go with the flow. It is a lot busier, no doubt about that. And there aren't the slow times anymore, there are slower times. But it is still fun, unless you let the anxiety take over. Pick out the most important things to do in each park, and let everything else happen. :)

I asked my family for their top 3 must-dos for each park were, and planned around that. If you're only going for a week or less, and you have 6 people, then it might have to be their top 2 and hope everyone picks the same!

John park hopper

We had a 17 year break between visits and a lot had changed - things you remember are gone, it's more crowded, IMO people going have changed (may be not for the better), it requires more preplanning. However, be prepared for those changes and you will still have a great time.

Starlight67

:cool::cool::cool::cool:Absolutely GO!

As this is a discussion forum there's always going to be poster perspectives of changes, what's working, not working etc. I know after my last trip (January) I posted about my what I feel are not-so-good changes at Disney. Still, I'm glad I went, had a great time and (as always) I will go back again. I think the good of Disney World still outweighs the bad-even if it does seem to me that some sketchy/shady/generally poor decisions have been made recently. (Frozen in Norway????? Closing parks early for 'private parties'??????)

In the past decade it does seem things are more regimented. I don't like the new FP+ system. I mean, the app is fine and it works for what it's supposed to do, but I don't like planning what I am going to be doing so far in advance. (People say you can make changes easily-but my experience is it's really like overturning the apple cart if you try to make day before or same day changes). I'm a fan of the old school kiosks-but that's me. Some people see the new system as freeing but I find it burdensome. You may love it, many people do! I don't do the Dining Plan because when I did in the past that made me feel even more orchestrated. We just eat counter service (with cash) whenever and bring our own snacks. No worrying about meal credits/snack credits, how many snacks can be traded as a meal....ugh.

As for the parks being 'un-Walt like'...my opinion is there's some truth to this. But then again the whole world has become more un-Walt like. As for park guests? Yeah, lots of rude, entitled behavior...but it's nothing different than the same stuff you see at your local mall. We kind of figure people will manner-up when they're at Disney, but doesn't happen.

Go and enjoy your stay at the Contemporary! My guess is you will still have a great time. Then be sure to come back here and let us know how it went! :)

eliza61nyc

Yes wdw has changed but why are people here so afraid of change??? I do not find it "regimented" so much in that you cannot change your mind, but you do need to do a bit of preplanning. Also some folks LIKE to have their days planned out for them.

Now as Nickys has said, if you want to eat at the Castle, yes you need to reserve that 6 months out. you cannot just roll up to a ts in the parks and expect to get seated.

lol, I'm one of those that hates the saying "what would walt do"? Walt was a businessman, no one know how he would have reacted to the conditions of 2018. the fact is 2108 is NOT 1965.

I still love it, I still love walking under the railroad station and seeing the view down main street and hearing the music. Is it more people, Absolutely. not going to lie. Is the Contemporary an awesome hotel. ABSOLUTELY. watching the monorail go through it, being able to walk back to the resort from magic kingdom, can't be beat.

do your research, ask a lot of questions here and you will have a great time.

Goofyernmost

Of course it changed, but, that doesn't mean it isn't still a great place to go. Nothing in the world is the same as when Walt was alive. It will never be able to go back, so unless you plan on never going again, I see no reason to cancel. Regardless of the amount of negative discussion that is like a cancer on the boards, it is still a great place to go. It still gives you that break from reality and is at it has always been, only as great as we make it. Things are different, not necessarily worse.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I start planning 8+ months in advance, but you don't have to. I am the "Disney Guru" at work, people are constantly asking my advice. I've had friends decide they're going to WDW "next week" and I have helped them with their planning and they've had a great time. If I can get to them 6+ months in advance, I can help them have a slightly "better" time, but the truth is, any vacation at WDW can be great if you go prepared to be flexible and have fun.

Go, enjoy!

Goofyernmost

I start planning 8+ months in advance, but you don't have to. I am the "Disney Guru" at work, people are constantly asking my advice. I've had friends decide they're going to WDW "next week" and I have helped them with their planning and they've had a great time. If I can get to them 6+ months in advance, I can help them have a slightly "better" time, but the truth is, any vacation at WDW can be great if you go prepared to be flexible and have fun.

Go, enjoy!
I so agree, throwing in a few reasons why it works for me... I stay offsite (always), I have my own transportation (either my own car or a rental), I find that the food is better and with a huge no reservations required choice on any given day. I only buy park tickets and nothing else actually.

That said, the last time I went (January of last year) I made my next days FP's after I arrived in the area and decided what I wanted to do the next day. Got just about everything I wanted, even after making Epcot FP's in the morning was able to get a 7DMT at MK for the afternoon. APR's are not necessary because I eat breakfast offsite before I get there, have quick service at lunch time and go offsite for dinner and a small break before coming back for the evening at the park of my choice (park hopper). Next day rinse and repeat. So it is only as difficult as we decide to make it. To get the whole package of alleged immersion requires a lot of planning and almost no flexibility.

BoarderPhreak

The planning aspect bears underlining... You definitely don't have to plan your FP, ADR or anything else. You can roll up to WDW and do what you want, when you want - and you'll still have a great time. Sure, there are some caveats to this approach, but if it eases your mind, all good.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Don't set lofty expectations! If you do, of course you'll be disappointed and bitter about the experience. Like has already been said, do a little planning for your must do experiences (including dining), there are less busy times (1130-4 seem to be very busy so use this as a break or meander around), and be flexible.

The Empress Lilly

Do go.

Everything you've read is true, WDW is not the Disney of old. It is no longer about creating as great as an experience as possible for the guest, but about milking him for what he's worth.

Still, the basic idea and execution of WDW are so strong that even a WDW not half of what it was is still a fun place.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There's just a bunch of grumpy old people here. You'll have a blast! I've gone a couple of times this past year, and I just bought myself an annual pass and am going about 3 or 4 trips this year. It's still perfect, to me. But I'm just a 90s kid!

LaughingGravy

If you are staying at the Contemporary, you will find it is as close as you can get to what I would call "the good old days" by staying at a monorail resort.
For going to the other parks, I strongly suggest renting a car on site from National/Enterprise. They will pick you up/drop you off for the car pickup and return from their on site location. If you can afford the Contemporary for that many days, the extra for the car is a comparative drop in the bucket, but the benefit is well, well, worth it. As an onsite guest, no parking fee, but you have the ability to not only travel to wherever in your own personal air conditioned comfort with your own music and without the teeming millions (there are A LOT more people now), the time saved is incredible, especially at park opening and closing.
I say go, but book the rental car.

Minthorne

If people think crowding is bad at WDW they haven't been to dL where they get lower attendance and it still feels more crowded.

As for the OP, WDW is awesome (the best Disney resort IMHO) and you should definitely go.

I went to Disneyland last year at Easter and because it was a blackout time for a part of the Annual Pass-holders we had a great experience with the crowd levels. But I am sure it can be just as crazy there as well. We just had a very perfect time and the early magic there is great.

But I still love WDW - it’s just become very crowded.

Attachments

• 6F1F53CB-9F6E-4E55-B721-1D55EA3051D9.jpeg
    6F1F53CB-9F6E-4E55-B721-1D55EA3051D9.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

JIMINYCR

The most negativity is coming from those who want things to be just as it was back when. Thats not realistic in any world. Having been away for 8 years, youre in for a different Disney with some thrilling improvements. Sure there are more numbers of guests, more competition for dining, more advanced planning needed .... but with those things, there are many more opportunities to enjoy your trip as never before as long as you go into it informed and prepared. Dont think for a minute a trip to WDW will be less magical than you are hoping for.

Leigh51

Original Poster
If you are staying at the Contemporary, you will find it is as close as you can get to what I would call "the good old days" by staying at a monorail resort.
For going to the other parks, I strongly suggest renting a car on site from National/Enterprise. They will pick you up/drop you off for the car pickup and return from their on site location. If you can afford the Contemporary for that many days, the extra for the car is a comparative drop in the bucket, but the benefit is well, well, worth it. As an onsite guest, no parking fee, but you have the ability to not only travel to wherever in your own personal air conditioned comfort with your own music and without the teeming millions (there are A LOT more people now), the time saved is incredible, especially at park opening and closing.
I say go, but book the rental car.
We will be driving to WDW so we will have a car.Are you saying drive to the other parks?There is free,available parking?Wow that might be the way to go.Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom