Potential future European resort (Spain?)

GiveMeTheMusic

I was just thinking China has two resorts so why not Europe?

China is an emerging economy with over a billion people that can support two resorts. DLRP has been financially insolvent for decades. For it to pull its own weight, it needs to become profitable. Another European resort would cannibalize attendance from DLRP, which would be bad for the company.

darrelljon

Original Poster
Europe is an established economy with 740m people that can support two resorts. Doesn't Shanghai cannibalise Hong Kong?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Should be any day now based on this sign that was in World Showcase in the early 80's.

download (1).jpg

rickreptile

even if the interest would come for a 2nd disney park in europe, i doubt it will be anytime soon, with the multibillion investment for the paris park they wouldnt want to draw the attention of that park away

fTs

Spain is too close to France anyway since a large amount of Disneyland Paris visitors come from Spain. If there were to be a new resort it would be further East, possibly in the Middle East to capture that market as well as Eastern Europe, Turkey and India.

rickreptile

like feras and wildernesslodge said, if a new one has to come it will most likely be in middle east, a new park in europe simply is not a good idea, the paris park already got alot of competition from other large european themeparks, both the efteling and europapark investing alot of money to renovate old rides/building new ones and building more accomodations, spain has port aventura, so those and many many more.

it's a good thing disney is investing in the current park now to gain back ppl (i know plenty who didnt go because of lack of new things while other parks continued in investing in their parks) adding a new park in europe would as i said before only draw attention away from the park and adds to the competition

21stamps

I can’t imagine Disney opening a resort in the Middle East anytime soon.

Maybe UAE could be a possibility.. I don’t know.. I think the existing locations are enough and well placed.

GiveMeTheMusic

Europe is an established economy with 740m people that can support two resorts. Doesn't Shanghai cannibalise Hong Kong?

Look, if DLRP were bursting at the seams, then maybe a second European resort would make sense. Until that is the case, Disney isn't going to split its focus in Europe to the detriment of DLRP, which they are investing billions in.

Secondly, the European and Chinese economies are not comparable.

Thirdly, Shanghai does not cannibalize Hong Kong. The Chinese are not as mobile as it's an emerging economy, so the majority of guests at SDL are too far from HKDL to have ever considered visiting. The mainlanders who visit HK are from the southern part of the country. HKDL has seen a small dip in mainland attendance since SDL opened, but not enough to be concerned about. They're pulling from very different markets.

So in conclusion - there won't be a second European resort any time soon, if ever.

LondonTom

Yeah this wouldn't really make any sense unless you wanted to close DLP for a warmer climate. Transport wise, mainland Europe and the UK are pretty well connected and apart from sadly in the near future for the UK, the EU allows free movement between countries for both work and tourism so that its pretty much entirely the same market. (The whole point of the EU really)

douglasrickard

Look, if DLRP were bursting at the seams, then maybe a second European resort would make sense. Until that is the case, Disney isn't going to split its focus in Europe to the detriment of DLRP, which they are investing billions in.

Secondly, the European and Chinese economies are not comparable.

Thirdly, Shanghai does not cannibalize Hong Kong. The Chinese are not as mobile as it's an emerging economy, so the majority of guests at SDL are too far from HKDL to have ever considered visiting. The mainlanders who visit HK are from the southern part of the country. HKDL has seen a small dip in mainland attendance since SDL opened, but not enough to be concerned about. They're pulling from very different markets.

So in conclusion - there won't be a second European resort any time soon, if ever.

Aw that does answer very well (unfortunately) whether my wish for Disneyland London will ever come true. :confused:

douglasrickard

It would be craziness to have a London and Paris location.

Maybe true. But all I can say is the whole travelling situation and really needing to stay overnight adds so much to putting some people off in England. And London does have a huge population along with tourists and we have this temporary fair called Winter Wonderland which gets packed in Hyde Park... and I for one would have an annual pass if there was one and be there most weeks no doubt. Plus they were going to build a Paramount Park near London.. and you know why couldn't it just be a different kind of Disneyland... and Disney do it, and it could give people a taste of a Disney park and they could promote Paris... anyway, those are the kind of thoughts that go through my head!

21stamps

Maybe true. But all I can say is the whole travelling situation and really needing to stay overnight adds so much to putting some people off in England. And London does have a huge population along with tourists and we have this temporary fair called Winter Wonderland which gets packed in Hyde Park... and I for one would have an annual pass if there was one and be there most weeks no doubt. Plus they were going to build a Paramount Park near London.. and you know why couldn't it just be a different kind of Disneyland... and Disney do it, and it could give people a taste of a Disney park and they could promote Paris... anyway, those are the kind of thoughts that go through my head!

I just want to ride the new coaster- Wicker Man at Alton Towers.. it’s looks so neat!!

Jeff456

Never going to happen, I'd rather they focus on DLRP anyway, I wish they had built it somewhere other than Paris but as that's what we ended up with best they focus on it.

Disneyparisfan

Portaventura. Aka Universal Mediterranea. In Spain, and, a decent park. Still got dropped by Universal in 2004. There’s just not the demand for 2 Disney parks in mainland Europe. Portaventura doesn’t even stay open over winter- despite having much better weather than Paris. The Spanish all want to sod off somewhere hot, the French TBH would rather visit Park Asterix. We have Paris. Personally I’m just grateful we’ve got that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom