So is anyone not going anymore? (I'm still a fan. lol)

rob0519

We haven't been back since 2014, the constant and insane price increases, the declining quality and assortment of both food and merchandise and the overcrowding caused us to rethink our vacation dollars. It's sad because prior to that we had gone over 30 times in 20 years. We have a cognitively disabled son who absolutely loves WDW, so we're thinking about an October trip for him, but otherwise I'm pretty sure we would stay away for a bit longer.

smudgee

so with all the post on the parks being anything between "disappointing to bad" has anyone made the decision to not go back to WDW?

I've actually got two trips plan this year.
so with all the post on the parks being anything between "disappointing to bad" has anyone made the decision to not go back to WDW?

My husband was so disappointed with the tremendous crowds during a "slow time" and the constant price increases last Dec., that he never wants to go back. I still love it and hope to change his mind. There is nothing like WDW.

SMS55

My last trip was August 2016. I was getting upset at the increasing prices but the main reason was I was going back to school after 15 years. I let my seasonal passes expire after several years. I didn't even have time to miss it the first year, but gotten the itch to go back at least for a weekend. It's still Disney to me.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
My husband was so disappointed with the tremendous crowds during a "slow time" and the constant price increases last Dec., that he never wants to go back. I still love it and hope to change his mind. There is nothing like WDW.

I think that might be the "hurdle" for many old timers and repeat visitors. There really is no longer a "slow time" so that may take some getting use to.

John park hopper

As an old timer Disney fan and visitor getting used to crowds is something I can't get used too, Our last visit in May was not bad crowd wise durinng the week but the weekend it got bad. From what i have been reading on this forum slow times no longer exist. Really makes me think twice about going again spending that kind of money to be dissapointed.

Last edited:

jimbojones

My husband and I went to Bora Bora. It's is better named "Boring, Boring". after two days of sun and sand (and that's pretty much all you can do there) we were bored witless.
And no it's not cheaper since every thing on the Island is basically imported, except for maybe fruit, you will get gouged on the price of everything else.
I will say it's an absolutely gorgeous Island. whew, I mean national geographic type of beauty.
you guys must not be divers or surfers, if you were there is no such thing as boring in the south pacific

jimbojones

I think at one time Disney was a value alternative for those who could not travel abroad. Disneyland/MK itself is like a magical foreign land, and you could visit all the different countries in Epcot.
This exactly , Disney was a way of capturing the adventures of the world in one spot that average folks who were not globe trotters could afford to visit and get a sense of what was "out there" or at least what Disney films showed as being "out there" . International travel is still expensive but it has never been more accessible to those who are less adventurous and a trip to WDW for a week rivals the price of an international experience. As a kid WDW visits made me want to see all of the real world and made me feel excited to go see a real castle or experience what it was really like to see under the ocean. It 100% drove my desire as an adult to spend as much of my time as I can seeing every place and doing everything I possible can. And for that WDW has earned my affection.

But this is also the fundamental reason why ,despite loving WDW, the costs and crowds are pushing me away. For the same money I can take my family to real world destinations in exotic locations and "make memories" that were designed by someone in a corporate office to be made for me without feeling like I am at a crowded concert or a cow being rounded up.

When my little one is no longer little I don't ever plan on anything more than an overnight visit , of course time may change that opinion. When I total up all the money I have given to Disney over the years it is an absolutely shocking sum. I could probably have planned on retiring 5 years early had I invested that money :) . I could certainly have visited many of the real places that MK and Epcot simulate.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
you guys must not be divers or surfers, if you were there is no such thing as boring in the south pacific
lol we are neither. two NYC folks. It probably wasn't our best choice for a vacation destination, as we went when we were in our early 30's, just finishing up grad school and ready to party.
LOL hindsight is 20/20 and we often said we should have saved the money and went to Vegas.

jimbojones

1000% agree with you on that. the family vacation industry has really stepped up it's game. Cruises especially, once the realm of the wealthy and older retired folks, that industry has really carved out a niche in family travel.
Mexico and many other places now have resorts that specifically cater to families.

so the mouse definitely has to watch his step.
Absolutley cruises are a big source of competition to Disney. Cruises are a great way to travel for peope who don't like unfamiliar things or taking risks as well as for groups with varied mobility or interests which is also a huge part of the appeal of WDW

jimbojones

lol we are neither. two NYC folks. It probably wasn't our best choice for a vacation destination, as we went when we were in our early 30's, just finishing up grad school and ready to party.
LOL hindsight is 20/20 and we often said we should have saved the money and went to Vegas.
Get your diving certifications and go back :) Also NY is actually a decent pace for surfing no time like the present !

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
T

But this is also the fundamental reason why ,despite loving WDW, the costs and crowds are pushing me away. For the same money I can take my family to real world destinations in exotic locations and "make memories" that were designed by someone in a corporate office to be made for me without feeling like I am at a crowded concert or a cow being rounded up.

But here's the thing I don't understand, and I have not visited places I would call "exotic" but everywhere else is getting just as crowded.

I've mentioned before on other places because my late husband was European (Portugal) we spent summers in some places manly Paris and Lisbon. I use to be able to go to the Louve, the effiel tower during the spring and fall and have the places darn near to myself. really, we would go to the museums and be able to sit in front on a picture for hours without ever having to say "excuse" me. Same thing with London. London is a zoo now in the summers, my family and I were considering going in May but the royal wedding canceled that. I'm not dealing with that mess.
Next up for me is national parks. I've never been to one, which I think is insane. I want to go to Yellowstone. now that's a bit cheaper but I called a couple of the lodges in the park and all of them said I had to book YEARS, yes years in advance and said they were pack during the nice weather.

We did the RC Oasis of the seas in June of 2016 and while not concert crowded, it was sold out and plenty of people where turned away from the different shows.

lol don't even get me started on my hometown of NYC or where I live now in Philly. That stupid Eagles parade darn near drove me crazy.

I'm actually going to start trying winter vacations. I'm lucky that my kids are now semi-adults. :rolleyes: and we have more flexibility with vacations.

my next trip to the world is this coming April. I'm going with some gal pals, and we are taking advantage of Fp. don't think the crowds will be a huge factor in our enjoyment as we don't stand in lines for rides anyway. we are more of the "soak in the atmosphere" type of ladies. we did sign up for the wild Africa Trek which sounds like fun. other than that we are planning to lounge around the pool.

Last edited:

John park hopper

It's all about the population growth US population in 1971 when WDW opened 207 million; fast forward US population 2017 ~325 million. World population 1971 3 billion; fast forward 2017 world population ~7 billion and growing project by 2050 9 billion +. Face it, far too many people wanting a slice of the pie be it WDW, National Parks, or other popular vacation destinations. Florida alone 1971 population was 7 million; 2017 20 million (wonder how many have annual passes?) crowds are the new normal --old fart that I am I don't like crowds and waiting in lines my life has become too short too waste time

Last edited:

John park hopper

It's About the affordable international travel that the BRic countries is bringing in.

However Disney is actively marketing to the BRIC in Brazil and you would think knowing that there are more people they would do something about it but instead they are doing the exact opposite by artificially creating long lines through short staffing and after 6 pm parties.
What does BRIC stand for?

bhg469

I just got back from florida on Sunday. I spend 2 weeks in the state. The first week I travelled for work, the second week was a vacation spent between Naples where we visited some cool areas and beaches. (clam pass is one of the coolest beaches ever) And the last few days were about 15 minutes from WDW. I didn't set one foot in the theme parks and could not be happier how the trip went. We have been planning on moving to FL for years though and next year looks like it may happen. The one thing that changed was that we never thought we would consider anywhere that close to the parks but we really liked the area we were in and the parks might be a nice bonus on occasion but they are the last thing we are concerned with when picking a place to live down there. I will not be going back until star wars opens and the opening hype has died down, so not likely for at least a few years.

I will never get the appeal of going multiple times a year and i cannot understand how anyone would have done that in the past decade most of all.

NelleBelle

But here's the thing I don't understand, and I have not visited places I would call "exotic" but everywhere else is getting just as crowded.

I've mentioned before on other places because my late husband was European (Portugal) we spent summers in some places manly Paris and Lisbon. I use to be able to go to the Louve, the effiel tower during the spring and fall and have the places darn near to myself. really, we would go to the museums and be able to sit in front on a picture for hours without ever having to say "excuse" me. Same thing with London. London is a zoo now in the summers, my family and I were considering going in May but the royal wedding canceled that. I'm not dealing with that mess.
Next up for me is national parks. I've never been to one, which I think is insane. I want to go to Yellowstone. now that's a bit cheaper but I called a couple of the lodges in the park and all of them said I had to book YEARS, yes years in advance and said they were pack during the nice weather.

We did the RC Oasis of the seas in June of 2016 and while not concert crowded, it was sold out and plenty of people where turned away from the different shows.

lol don't even get me started on my hometown of NYC or where I live now in Philly. That stupid Eagles parade darn near drove me crazy.

I'm actually going to start trying winter vacations. I'm lucky that my kids are now semi-adults. :rolleyes: and we have more flexibility with vacations.

my next trip to the world is this coming April. I'm going with some gal pals, and we are taking advantage of Fp. don't think the crowds will be a huge factor in our enjoyment as we don't stand in lines for rides anyway. we are more of the "soak in the atmosphere" type of ladies. we did sign up for the wild Africa Trek which sounds like fun. other than that we are planning to lounge around the pool.
In order to book a lodge in popular Nat’l Parks, you have had to book years for quite some time if you want to go in the summer (even some campgrounds have lotteries)! Yellowstone has been this way for YEARS! Glacier, Yosemite, Grand Canyan are all extremely difficult places to find lodging within the park during the summer months unless you plan early. It’s unrealistic to expect to find lodging at these beautiful parks if one is looking in May for a summer stay. Even booking lodging OUTSIDE the parks is sometimes very difficult and $$$ 😕

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
In order to book a lodge in popular Nat’l Parks, you have had to book years for quite some time if you want to go in the summer (even some campgrounds have lotteries)! Yellowstone has been this way for YEARS! Glacier, Yosemite, Grand Canyan are all extremely difficult places to find lodging within the park during the summer months unless you plan early. It’s unrealistic to expect to find lodging at these beautiful parks if one is looking in May for a summer stay. Even booking lodging OUTSIDE the parks is sometimes very difficult and $$$ 😕

And that's my point. I simply think at most popular vacation destinations nowadays you are going to have crowds.
So imo to expect Disney to forever have 1980 crowd levels is unrealistic and of course it will lead to dissatisfaction. Do I like crowds? no but it's either learn to deal with them or not go.
I'm firmly in the "learn to deal with them". I can usually plan to maximize the experience in spite of them

erasure fan1

And that's my point. I simply think at most popular vacation destinations nowadays you are going to have crowds.
So imo to expect Disney to forever have 1980 crowd levels is unrealistic and of course it will lead to dissatisfaction. Do I like crowds? no but it's either learn to deal with them or not go.
I'm firmly in the "learn to deal with them". I can usually plan to maximize the experience in spite of them
But I think that crowds are not the root of peoples problems. The fact that Disneys answer to crowds is take things away and jack up prices to thin out the crowds is the problem. You need attractions in 3 of your 4 parks and thats pushing over crowding in the magic kingdom. All most of us "complainers" want is that Disney justifies its price hikes with added attractions and experiences. Not, lets see what we can cut and still raise prices because, hey, we can. Of course its their right to raise as much as they want, as long as people will pay it. But it's also my right to not agree with it and not go. Mission accomplished Disney.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
But I think that crowds are not the root of peoples problems. The fact that Disneys answer to crowds is take things away and jack up prices to thin out the crowds is the problem. You need attractions in 3 of your 4 parks and thats pushing over crowding in the magic kingdom. All most of us "complainers" want is that Disney justifies its price hikes with added attractions and experiences. Not, lets see what we can cut and still raise prices because, hey, we can. Of course its their right to raise as much as they want, as long as people will pay it. But it's also my right to not agree with it and not go. Mission accomplished Disney.
absolutely and the current signs are promising.

HS by next year will have 2 new major lands.
Epcot hopefully will have the new GOTG
Evidently Tron is supposed to come to MK.

I think (and this is just my brain theorizing, I have no inside information) that by the time the 50th anniversary rolls around in 2021. all 4 parks will have major attractions making all of them 4 day parks.

Now of course I'm sure the mouse world will announce big plans that will pack the parks in again which will have folks still complaining.

John park hopper

As I posted earlier I think the ever increasing population and world wide more people have disposable income; they can vacation at DIsney world and elsewhere. Years past it was rare to see people from other countries at WDW now it is common. The problem Disney has -- they have not kept pace with this fact and crowds are the new norm (why should they people still keep going and paying the prices) every where not just WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom