Is Disney Springs worth driving down a day early?

flynnibus

Premium Member
priced most of DS resorts and one night that weekend is going to be 150-200 then two meals for 5 people (2 adults, 3 teens) would be about another 50-100. I would love to find a cheap clean (CLEAN) hotel for a good deal but its holiday weekend so that probably wont happen. any good hotel recomendations? the restful night is best selling point for us but knew someone here could tell me if DS had some must do attractions or stores.
thanks and keep info coming
mikewdw

We had a great stay at the Raddison right there at crossroads - https://www.radisson.com/orlando-hotel-fl-32836/fllabuvi/rooms Several years ago now, but I would go back in a heartbeat. On May 20th, it's $119+taxes for a 2 queen+sofabed.

mergatroid

Obviously it depends how much you enjoy shopping, eating and drinking etc. A full day sounds too much but again if you can spend hours happily shopping, then why not. We're coming for 2 weeks in October and I'd imagine we'll visit 2 or 3 times not staying more than a few hours each visit. At least one visit will include a film at AMC and another a meal and Mrs Merg wants to see the new Burlesque show with flapper girls one night (and why would I argue with that ;))

mikewdw

Original Poster
Yes, we are mainly talking about an evening. We first tossed around idea of driving in on Sunday afternoon and starting at our WDW hotel but not as young as i used to be so the idea of driving from 3 AM to noon then doing park all day is hard. I was hoping to find a good hotel for cheap price but has to be clean. not worried about amenities. just didn't want to waste money if didn't have to. if found hotel for right price would probably do it. any recommendations for hotel fairly close please let me know.
thanks for everyones info, i knew i could get great help here
mikewdw

Seabasealpha1

I only hit the 'Springs or DL's 'Downtown during what I'd call a half day...like...lets say we did something "non-Disney" the first half of the day, then that night we'll go eat and shop.

Never spent a full day...don't think I could...but then again, Mrs. Seabase could probably pull it off...

larandtra

Make sure whenever considering DS area hotels, add about 60 bucks on average to the cost they give you. They all have high "resort" fees as well as charging for parking. Most charge for WiFi. Most fees total about 60 bucks per hotel, so when they quote you 130 bucks to stay at the Hilton or Westin, its closer to 200 per night. Same with B and Holiday in. The Best Western has the lowest fees and is a pretty comfortable stay. But, Ive always compared the cost of those hotels to what I could get into a Property hotel for and went from there. Anything outside of that is going to cost you to not stay in a sketchy hotel. As far as is DS worth it? For an evening of good food, casual strolls, shops, some drinks, maybe bowling or a movie. The overall atmosphere. Yes, its worth an evening. We do one evening each trip at Springs, have a nice dinner and then just walk around stopping for drinks at our favorite places. We also spend one going from Geyser Point to Sams to seeing Bob. But, we are adults, so its a different set of priorities.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With some of the hotels, especially in the Disney Springs area you have to be careful about hidden resort fees or hidden parking fees.

Normally good advise... but you should notice I said I’ve stayed there. The hotel has no parking fees, no resort fee, and free WiFi. And right next to crossroads

larandtra

It depends on your assertion on "good" hotel vs average. Could you find decent rates? Absolutely, but, possibly not at the level of service you are looking for. It is a HUGE market, but, that doesnt mean it is cost effective to find a good hotel. It depends on the time of year etc. And stop with the stupid "fake news" crap. You sound like a child that has discovered the latest new term to sound cool and get attention. Everytime I see someone use that I assume their mental capacity is rather low.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It depends on your assertion on "good" hotel vs average. Could you find decent rates? Absolutely, but, possibly not at the level of service you are looking for. It is a HUGE market, but, that doesnt mean it is cost effective to find a good hotel

Is it going to cost more than random Kansas?? Yes. Is it a cheap market? YES. Is there HUNDREDS of good/GREAT hotels. YES

How often do you stay in Orlando NOT on Disney property?? Because your view is incredibly distorted, or flat out wrong.

It's really just a question of what kind of room and services you want. Do you want to stay in a timeshare/extended stay format? Or do you want a simple room+pool? Do you need a large group? Do you care about extended services like Gym, Included Breakfast, etc.

Orlando serves millions of business customers every year that never even touch Disney. Then there are the millions that visit the rest of Orlando and not just Disney. All of these people stay at these GASP... other hotels... and pay less than Disney. $100-150 opens the door to just about anything.

The only bad thing about that Radisson I listed was it's hard to find the entrance (it sits in the back of the shopping center).

I can also vouch for the Springhill Suites next to Seaworld... last stay was 252 total for two nights. That one even had bus transport to Seaworld included. And I have to be picky, because we are 5 in our family so I need to make sure we can have three beds (which both of those hotels had sofa beds). The Springhill was a great base when we were doing Discovery Cove, Seaworld, ++. Starbucks in the lobby, free breakfast, etc.

People get too hung up on location to Disney (especially for the stay the OP is talking about). There is no need to be so close.. you can't walk anyways in most cases... you'll be driving.. and you're in traffic in that area. So it's gonna be 5-10mins no matter what you do. You aren't going back and forth.. so if it's an extra 5mins away, who cares. So all of international drive, and the stretch between Disney and Orlando really is in play.

And stop with the stupid "fake news" crap. You sound like a child that has discovered the latest new term to sound cool and get attention. Everytime I see someone use that I assume their mental capacity is rather low.

Triggered much?

Maybe the wording was picked to match the severity of just how awfully wrong the statement was. Ever consider that?
foghorn.jpg

Last edited:

larandtra

Is it going to cost more than random Kansas?? Yes. Is it a cheap market? YES. Is there HUNDREDS of good/GREAT hotels. YES

How often do you stay in Orlando NOT on Disney property?? Because your view is incredibly distorted, or flat out wrong.

It's really just a question of what kind of room and services you want. Do you want to stay in a timeshare/extended stay format? Or do you want a simple room+pool? Do you need a large group? Do you care about extended services like Gym, Included Breakfast, etc.

Orlando serves millions of business customers every year that never even touch Disney. Then there are the millions that visit the rest of Orlando and not just Disney. All of these people stay at these GASP... other hotels... and pay less than Disney. $100-150 opens the door to just about anything.

The only bad thing about that Radisson I listed was it's hard to find the entrance (it sits in the back of the shopping center).

I can also vouch for the Springhill Suites next to Seaworld... last stay was 252 total for two nights. That one even had bus transport to Seaworld included. And I have to be picky, because we are 5 in our family so I need to make sure we can have three beds (which both of those hotels had sofa beds). The Springhill was a great base when we were doing Discovery Cove, Seaworld, ++. Starbucks in the lobby, free breakfast, etc.

People get too hung up on location to Disney (especially for the stay the OP is talking about). There is no need to be so close.. you can't walk anyways in most cases... you'll be driving.. and you're in traffic in that area. So it's gonna be 5-10mins no matter what you do. You aren't going back and forth.. so if it's an extra 5mins away, who cares. So all of international drive, and the stretch between Disney and Orlando really is in play.

Triggered much?

Maybe the wording was picked to match the severity of just how awfully wrong the statement was. Ever consider that?
View attachment 266156

Again, what YOU find acceptable or good, may not be what someone else finds acceptable or good for the price paid. You are speaking from YOUR experience. Im in orlando once a month for business and then 7 to 8 other times year for trips, and GASP, my brother lives there, works in management at one of the parks, and his wife works in the hotel industry. I stay on AND off property dependent on the trip and rely on my company travel agent or Amex travel to ensure the best rates knowing what I expect from a hotel for a business trip. SO my view of the Orlando hotel market is by no means distorted. My intention was to make sure the OP had some info they may not have had, such as being aware of the ridiculous fees that in particular the Springs Hotels charge. Pretty sure I can safely say, its dependent on the individuals decision on what is Good or has value. So we would agree, it REALLY depends on what you are looking for. Which is all you had to say. Couldve been so much more mature or simple to say "Yes, BUT, I disagree because this has been my experience". Rather than that you come off with some pithy childish remark.
But hey, good try deflecting from your stupid generic catchphrase of the week for the muted masses.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, what YOU find acceptable or good, may not be what someone else finds acceptable or good for the price paid

You are still trying to argue that you can't find 'acceptable or good' hotels in the countries' biggest tourist destination?? The same city that has every major hotel chain... and countless timeshare rentals?

You are speaking from YOUR experience.

I'm speaking from paying for Orlando hotels for over 25 years yes. But I'm also aware that Orlando is one of the biggest convention cities in the country... and is one of the countries biggest tourism spots. All of which require hotels.. all which means COMPETITION. For which Orlando has 10x over and why it's hotel offerings and rates are aggressive. Yet you believe "that doesnt mean it is cost effective to find a good hotel"

Im in orlando once a month for business and then 7 to 8 other times year for trips, and GASP, my brother lives there, works in management at one of the parks, and his wife works in the hotel industry. I stay on AND off property dependent on the trip and rely on my company travel agent or Amex travel to ensure the best rates knowing what I expect from a hotel for a business trip. SO my view of the Orlando hotel market is by no means distorted

Maybe you have caviar tastes? Or completely unrealistic expectations of what 'price' should be? Because the same hotel I can get in CA, NV, PA, IL, VA, MD, SC, GA, FL, I can get in Orlando just fine... and no need to worry about sketchy. $100-150 will get you a great hotel (HOTEL - Not RESORT) easily without fear of the boogieman or ending up in a shelter. The guy is looking for a one night stay. Pretty basic needs. Hell, that's my price expectation for a party of 5... which means requiring 3 beds. It's no sweat...

My intention was to make sure the OP had some info they may not have had, such as being aware of the ridiculous fees that in particular the Springs Hotels charge

Yup, the old DTD hotels are not cheap - but that is also not the limit of Orlando or the immediate area. You advised the OP "Anything outside of that is going to cost you to not stay in a sketchy hotel." - which is exactly what I replied to, and backed up with cited examples. In fact, I would never tell someone to stay in the DTD hotels for a one night stay.. it's a complete waste. Stay at a timeshare with a freaking lagoon pool for the same kind of money. If anything outside the bubble is sketchy... try it sometime.

Which is all you had to say. Couldve been so much more mature or simple to say "Yes, BUT, I disagree because this has been my experience". Rather than that you come off with some pithy childish remark.
But hey, good try deflecting from your stupid generic catchphrase of the week for the muted masses.

i-LDfMBzr.gif

Lighten up Francis...

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you mean Disney resorts I would disagree. Staying one night gives you two days of EMH plus the free Magical Express so I find it worth it to use at the beginning and end of my stay.

But that's not the use case here. The scenario is arriving in town one day early via car and specifically NOT going to the parks... which makes paying up for a DTD hotel a complete waste. If you want what you just outlined... I'd just pay to stay on property at a Value and then avoid being a second class citizen entirely.

The DTD hotels are a in-between stepchild... tho recent changes are working to close that gap.. and their renovations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom