Rent a Deluxe Disney Vacation Club Villa without being a DVC member

nickys

Premium Member
Really not a huge deal, you'll get some kind people if you do and then some stink eye from sarcastic people as well ;)

:p I recommend though you refrain from making a habit of it lol!

I've done it here a couple of times for people. Just depends if I see a request reasonably quickly, not selectively (*she adds hastily*).

correcaminos

:p I recommend though you refrain from making a habit of it lol!

I've done it here a couple of times for people. Just depends if I see a request reasonably quickly, not selectively (*she adds hastily*).
True, but I'm actually one who looks. Probably because my family and friends ask me enough that I don't care. I get why they don't want it there though, it would flood the forum.

davis_unoxx

I am about to be buying a good amount of DVC points on Resale, and will be renting out a good portion of those points. My prices will be very competitive (especially to David's.) Please let me know how many would be interested? Should I make my own website? Just want to do side business, where I save Disney fans money, and I can have side business!

Walt d

This is not meant to be a slam on David's - I have never had a bad experience with them, and I've yet to encounter anyone who did. This is just a word of caution - depending on the time of year you're visiting and the size of room you're trying to get, you might save little to nothing by renting DVC points as well.

This is especially true when it comes to looking at 1BR units. The simple (well, simplistic) math of it all is this - DVC members often have to use somewhere around twice as many points (give or take a few) to book a 1BR villa versus a studio. But the rack rates for those rooms won't be nearly twice as many (and that's not taking into consideration any room discount you might be able to get).

Example - looking up rooms at Kidani Village for a week in early March 2016. Studio savannah view, with taxes, is $4740. 1 Bedroom savannah view with all taxes is $5401. Less than $100 difference a night. A 2BR is $9357.

I'm looking up Kidani Village At Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first week in Feb of 2016. $3629 for a studio. $4241 for a 1BR, $6117 for a 2BR, all Savannah views, including all taxes.

Same rates via David's at $15 per point? $1845 for the Studio, $4080 for the 1BR, $5580 for the 2BR.

Great deal on the studio. But the difference for the 1BR between travelocity and David's is less than $200. About $530 for the 2BR. And for that savings, you won't get daily Mousekeeping (maybe it's worth it for you, maybe not), and perhaps less flexibility if you need to alter your reservation. And who knows if other online travel providers (or a bona fide travel agent, or AAA or WDW direct) might not be able to do better for you than that?

FWIW, the few occasions I had contemplated using David's and contacted them for info, they were polite and cordial and thorough and professional. I can't say a bad word about them. They are reputable for the service they provide. But that service is getting you the room you want, not getting you the best deal. So before committing to David's, don't be afraid to do a little homework. And if David's turns out to be best option, book with confidence.
Isn’t this illegal and how does Disney like this they’re OK with it

nickys

Premium Member

Isn't what illegal?

The price is due to the points required for the stay. As @slappy magoo pointed out, a 1 bed takes twice as many points as a studio, thus if you rent one you have to pay for those points.

He was pointing out that because of the way Disney prices those rooms, they charge only a little more (relatively) for a 1 bed. Therefore renting saves you far less money on a 1 bed than for a studio. That is true of renting through a broker or privately.

Not sure what you think is "illegal". Renting in general? Renting is permitted under the DVC T&C.

Phonedave

Buying a contract with the sole intent of using as a rental property is against the contract you sign when you purchase DVC.

If I bought 2,000 points, and year after year I rented them out on the "open market" and never used them for myself or my family/friends then DVC could make a case that I violated my contract

David's (and other agencies) are not doing this. David's does not own any points, instead they are acing as a broker between people who want to rent out their points and others who wish to rent points.

This provides a number of benefits.

David's has access to a large pool of points and resorts. For example, I own 185 points at SSR. If I was going to rent them out, I want somebody to rent close to 185 points. If you wanted to book something using 100 points, I would not do it. David's might have a person with a 100 point contract they are looking to rent out.

David's also acts as a middle man for the transaction, which protects both parties. When you rent from a individual directly, then you have to trust that they are not going to do something like cancel the reservation on you. When you rent out to an individual, you have to trust that they are going to pay you, and not trash the room, Of course this service does not come for free, that's that the downside, There is a brokerage fee built into the prices David's charges.

But, to answer your question. Since David's is not renting out the points of a contract that they own, year over year, but instead are acting as a clearing house for a variety of people who sometimes rent and sometimes use their points, there is nothing illegal or against the DVC contract going on.

-dave

Walt d

Buying a contract with the sole intent of using as a rental property is against the contract you sign when you purchase DVC.

If I bought 2,000 points, and year after year I rented them out on the "open market" and never used them for myself or my family/friends then DVC could make a case that I violated my contract

David's (and other agencies) are not doing this. David's does not own any points, instead they are acing as a broker between people who want to rent out their points and others who wish to rent points.

This provides a number of benefits.

David's has access to a large pool of points and resorts. For example, I own 185 points at SSR. If I was going to rent them out, I want somebody to rent close to 185 points. If you wanted to book something using 100 points, I would not do it. David's might have a person with a 100 point contract they are looking to rent out.

David's also acts as a middle man for the transaction, which protects both parties. When you rent from a individual directly, then you have to trust that they are not going to do something like cancel the reservation on you. When you rent out to an individual, you have to trust that they are going to pay you, and not trash the room, Of course this service does not come for free, that's that the downside, There is a brokerage fee built into the prices David's charges.

But, to answer your question. Since David's is not renting out the points of a contract that they own, year over year, but instead are acting as a clearing house for a variety of people who sometimes rent and sometimes use their points, there is nothing illegal or against the DVC contract going on.

-dave
Disney is very carefully of there image. And controling. That how would they let anyone move in on them, and take there Business im sure this company needs to be sued, to be stoped.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney is very carefully of there image. And controling. That how would they let anyone move in on them, and take there Business im sure this company needs to be sued, to be stoped.

The rental companies aren't taking Disney's business though.

Disney could not use the points that are being rented out, they belong to the owners. Disney can only sell a very limited number of DVC rooms themselves, the small percentage that they own at each resort plus those points that DVC members have traded for cruises and other resorts.

@Phonedave explained things very well. Owners can use their points as they want to. DVC can see how many times an owner rents out a reservation, and can act if this becomes a "commercial" enterprise.

When someone rents points through David's (or any other company) the owner still makes the reservation.

I don't think you really understand what renting points actually means.

I'm interested whether you are an owner and why this seems to concern you so much.

Last edited:

correcaminos

The rental companies aren't taking Disney's business though.

Disney could not use the points that are being rented out, they belong to the owners. Disney can only sell a very limited number of DVC rooms themselves, the small percentage that they own at each resort plus those points that DVC members have traded for cruises and other resorts.

@Phonedave explained things very well. Owners can use their points as they want to. DVC can see how many times an owner rents out a reservation, and can act if this becomes a "commercial" enterprise.

When someone rents points through David's (or any other company) the owner still makes the reservation.

I don't think you really understand what renting points actually means.

I'm interested whether you are an owner and why this seems to concern you so much.
I'll be honest I'm not thrilled with these companies. Disney *is* losing money though. No matter how you look at it, Disney would be getting the money from the DVC owner using the room or not. Now they are losing the money to the renters because Disney doesn't see an extra dime from those renting instead of booking through Disney. The DVC money was already there as I said - used or not.

I really enjoy the ability to give a room to family or friends. I've done it 3 times total in my 14 years of ownership but I like the option. The constant renting and people owning 1000 points just to rent bugs me, I admit.

If Disney could they'd crack down on it, but they'd get a lot of backlash if they did restrict too much. That said there are professional renters out there, and that is not allowed.

nickys

Premium Member
looking to rent points...November 2018 visit. I would appreciate any advice on how to get a booking for 2-4 people in AKL, Value room

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your chances are somewhere between slim to nil.

The value rooms go right at the dot of the 11 month window. Plus November is bang in the middle of DVC's most popular time of year. You'll need to be prepared to go for a standard room at this point.

In general you have two choices. Go through a broker or rent privately. If the latter, Mouseowners is one site that is worth checking out.

Phonedave

I'll be honest I'm not thrilled with these companies. Disney *is* losing money though. No matter how you look at it, Disney would be getting the money from the DVC owner using the room or not. Now they are losing the money to the renters because Disney doesn't see an extra dime from those renting instead of booking through Disney. The DVC money was already there as I said - used or not.

I really enjoy the ability to give a room to family or friends. I've done it 3 times total in my 14 years of ownership but I like the option. The constant renting and people owning 1000 points just to rent bugs me, I admit.

If Disney could they'd crack down on it, but they'd get a lot of backlash if they did restrict too much. That said there are professional renters out there, and that is not allowed.

David's, and companies like David's, provide a service. It's a service that honestly DVC/Disney most likely wants to stay far away from.

Right now, if you work with Disney, you can get a DVC room with cash. DVC pretty much has to do this. They have to move their stock of un-reserved rooms, either from unsold points, breakage, or transfers out of DVC. When you pay cash, you are treated like any other cash guest - your reservation is made and controlled by you, you get daily housekeeping, you get a reservation number that you can go into the system and verify, you put money down, and then pay the balance according to the Disney policy, and if you have any changes you can call Disney,

When you work with David's you ask David to check availability. They will put you on a list and call you if something comes up, you then need to grab it. The person who owns the contract then makes the reservation, and tells David the number. David then tells you the number, but you cannot go in and modify the reservation, you cannot go into dvcmember. com and look at it, and you cannot cancel it. You have to pay in full up front, which David then holds in escrow.

Can you imagine the headaches if Disney got into the rental brokerage program. There is enough confusion about DVC in general. Somebody pays cash one year, and then rents through the Disney Broker next year, Then there is confusion about why they got housekeeping, or why they have to pay in full, or why they can't change their reservation.

The fact also is, that Disney is making money off of the renters, because they are on property, and therefore and more apt to spend money at Disney locations, as opposed to staying off property and spending elsewhere.

As far as point renting goes, Davids (and others) offers a service - a level of protection and advertising that you do not get if you rent on your own. You pay for that service, but since there are a number of companies such as David's, the cost to provide that service has normalized due to competition. Make Disney a monopoly in the point brokerage arena, and they are going to start seeing dollar signs.

-dave

nickys

Premium Member

I don't understand. How is Disney loosing money if you rent out your points? All that's happening is someone is paying you to use your points instead of you gifting them to your friends and family. Those people are spending money at WDW.

correcaminos

I don't understand. How is Disney loosing money if you rent out your points? All that's happening is someone is paying you to use your points instead of you gifting them to your friends and family. Those people are spending money at WDW.

They are losing a customer. If *I* rent the points *I* am getting the money. They see none of that. They would rather either get more to buy DVC or to rent rooms directly from them.

They are not losing money from me, but they are not gaining from the renter.

David's, and companies like David's, provide a service. It's a service that honestly DVC/Disney most likely wants to stay far away from.

Right now, if you work with Disney, you can get a DVC room with cash. DVC pretty much has to do this. They have to move their stock of un-reserved rooms, either from unsold points, breakage, or transfers out of DVC. When you pay cash, you are treated like any other cash guest - your reservation is made and controlled by you, you get daily housekeeping, you get a reservation number that you can go into the system and verify, you put money down, and then pay the balance according to the Disney policy, and if you have any changes you can call Disney,

When you work with David's you ask David to check availability. They will put you on a list and call you if something comes up, you then need to grab it. The person who owns the contract then makes the reservation, and tells David the number. David then tells you the number, but you cannot go in and modify the reservation, you cannot go into dvcmember. com and look at it, and you cannot cancel it. You have to pay in full up front, which David then holds in escrow.

Can you imagine the headaches if Disney got into the rental brokerage program. There is enough confusion about DVC in general. Somebody pays cash one year, and then rents through the Disney Broker next year, Then there is confusion about why they got housekeeping, or why they have to pay in full, or why they can't change their reservation.

The fact also is, that Disney is making money off of the renters, because they are on property, and therefore and more apt to spend money at Disney locations, as opposed to staying off property and spending elsewhere.

As far as point renting goes, Davids (and others) offers a service - a level of protection and advertising that you do not get if you rent on your own. You pay for that service, but since there are a number of companies such as David's, the cost to provide that service has normalized due to competition. Make Disney a monopoly in the point brokerage arena, and they are going to start seeing dollar signs.

-dave

I wasn't implying that Disney wants to be a part of renting points. Just that they want people to rent a room directly from them from their CRO inventory. While they get some money from those who rent, they are not getting room money from them which is a big thing too.

nickys

Premium Member
They are losing a customer. If *I* rent the points *I* am getting the money. They see none of that. They would rather either get more to buy DVC or to rent rooms directly from them.

I wasn't implying that Disney wants to be a part of renting points. Just that they want people to rent a room directly from them from their CRO inventory. While they get some money from those who rent, they are not getting room money from them which is a big thing too.

Ok, I now see what you're saying.

But they really don't lose. Those points are being used, they wouldn't be in the CRO inventory. I'm fairly sure they sell all of the DVC villas they have in CRO anyway. They couldn't get at those points to sell them unless you traded out.

correcaminos

Ok, I now see what you're saying.

But they really don't lose. Those points are being used, they wouldn't be in the CRO inventory. I'm fairly sure they sell all of the DVC villas they have in CRO anyway. They couldn't get at those points to sell them unless you traded out.

Not lose lose, but it's money they aren't getting. I know those DVC rooms go for significant discounts the closer it gets. I have a friend who books them often at a better price than DVC rentals.

To them it doesn't matter if we use points or not really. In fact it likely would cut down on their expenses if we don't use them. They have our money from that no matter what. There is always a percentage of inventory to CRO though. Not all rooms are DVC. Something like 2-3% and if the room isn't booked at 60 days it can go to CRO as well.

Phonedave

You are making the assumption that if a person could not rent from a DVC member, that they would then book a cash DVC room. They may instead rent a moderate or value room, or they may decided to go offsite, or *horrors* decide a trip to Orlando is just not worth it.

It's not as black and white as every time a person rents points WDW looses a room rental.

I am also going to assume that Disney did their due diligence when they came up with the rules for DVC and decided the ability to rent points on a limited basis would go further towards encouraging people to buy DVC then it would hurt their room rentals.

-dave

correcaminos

You are making the assumption that if a person could not rent from a DVC member, that they would then book a cash DVC room. They may instead rent a moderate or value room, or they may decided to go offsite, or *horrors* decide a trip to Orlando is just not worth it.

It's not as black and white as every time a person rents points WDW looses a room rental.

I am also going to assume that Disney did their due diligence when they came up with the rules for DVC and decided the ability to rent points on a limited basis would go further towards encouraging people to buy DVC then it would hurt their room rentals.

-dave

I never said they would rent a DVC room. Just a potential loss of even a moderate or value room. Yes they could go off site as well, but the chances are if they wanted to rent from DVC, they would have wanted to be off site.

Potential loss.

So no nothing in life is black and white, and I will never pretend it to be. Disney was actually more restrictive earlier with the renting. Not sure why it changed but if those who own 1000 point can easily only rent and make a profit every year. As an owner I'm sick to death of it. I also will not assume Disney did their due diligence. They often miss the mark (look at the 25 minimum to buy if resale owner) - they do whatever works best for them once they see the potential profits from it. So don't count on the rental market staying as strong if they see the desire to get the potential losses.

Last edited:

GabeP

Anyone know anything about the rental site DVC guru? I had posted I was looking for a studio for a few nights in late sept on their board and others and someone reached out and said they had those dates already reserved at BLT they were willing to rent at $17 a point, which lines up w the cost of a lake view there for those dates.

I would rather go through either david’s Or dvc rental store, but haven’t gotten any bites yet. I’m already reserved at POFQ for a shade over $200 a night before tax. Any advice from the group out there? Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom