Be honest, how weird is it for a male to go on Solo trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejccva71

Original Poster
Just came from there last month. "Amazing" it is not, IMO. Amazing steak and service -absolutely. The other dishes and the desert -meh. Shula's across crescent lake is supposed to have the best steak on property, and is now atop my short list try.

Nice will have to check that one out. Btw, how is Le Cellier at Epcot? Has it really gone downhill in recent years as some of the reviews say?

OneofThree

Nice will have to check that one out. Btw, how is Le Cellier at Epcot? Has it really gone downhill in recent years as some of the reviews say?

TBH, I haven't eaten at Le Cellier since it was buffeteria style back in the 80's. I considered it with Yachtsman for this last trip, but the reviews I've seen are mixed, particularly in terms of service.

LaughingGravy

Last business trip I was able to do Disneyland and I ended up having more free time so it actually made sense to do a 3 day one park per day pass (I never went to CA, just Disneyland)
After the first 20 minutes(including waiting on line/admission), I didn't have a care at all about being solo, and that was just the first day. After that, no care at all.
I did counter service only. Fun to people watch outside while eating, taking up less space for folks who maybe need a full table.
I also get a big kick out of seeing a family with one person out taking the picture and volunteering to take the pic for them so all can be in it.
It's just a nice thing to do. I usually take 2 or 3 in quick succession in case someone blinks.
If I had the opportunity for a meetup like with the KingdomKonsultants group, though, I would certainly give it a try.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

I mean be honest, how weird is it?
I'm a 58 year old man and I do it all the time. I'm quite happy at Table Service restaurants dining solo, it's never been a problem. The pacing of the meal is sometimes a bit off because they're used to people chatting with others at the table, but I've never found it to be anything but a minor issue. At QS restaurants, it's not an issue at all.

My son travels with me sometimes, but I have more vacation than he can take time off school and once he's working he'll have even less opportunities, so solo it is! :cool:

KTCpiano

I'm 40 and have done it several times. I didn't find it odd at all, and I never felt out of place or like an oddball.

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

I mean be honest, how weird is it?

bh_trade

Is it weird? No, not in the least bit and hope you have a great time!

For me personally however, who has never been to Disney parks alone, I would find myself reminiscing about the times I went there with my wife and kids and would have a hard time enjoying being there alone. Too many great family memories in those parks I guess.

Miceberg

Prior to my 3rd solo trip in October, I was looking forward to a leisurely vacation to do whatever I wanted at my own pace. I've traveled before with family and friends who tried to cram in as much fun as possible without a bit of relaxation figured in. What I learned on my last trip and what has been confirmed by my fit-bit, is I am apparently the person in the group trying to cram as much fun in as possible. I tired myself out. But it was a good tired and I'll do it again if the opportunity comes up. I also finally understand why my husband is ok missing these trips. :hilarious:

UKDisney Dave

On the table service dining front I have often found that there are no available slots for tables of one, but when you search for tables of two then slots open up.

If there’s somewhere i really want to go I just book for two people (luckily other family are linked to my Disney account), and then on the day of the reservation I just tell the host my partner wasn’t feeling well, or my darling teenage son didn’t want to get up early for breakfast with Dad, or that my wife had to fly back to the UK to have tea with the Queen. Okay maybe not the last one (!), but I do make up whatever story feels good at the time!

I’ve never been charged the $10 charge for only using one seat instead of two. I figure Disney can take the hit, they make more than enough from me, and I always tip the server well so as to make up for the loss of the second persons service charge.

Goofyernmost

I don't think that's what was said or meant in the quoted post. IMO, it's less a matter of "should" and more a matter of "why?". Without any sort of judgment or deeper thought process, it's just strikes many people as immediately weird to see this. The OP's title is "how weird. . .", and people are simply answering the question. Truth be told, I said the same thing to my wife when we saw this. If I were on my own, a Disney theme park is about the last place I'd go, for anything.
That might be because you let your inner child die off and you need someone to share your experiences with. However, that's not everyone. Shortly after my divorce I went there solo and for a lot of the time sat there on benches (back when they had some) and just remembered the wonderful times I had there with my wife and my children. I was at a fairly low point at that time. It's hard to just walk away from 29 years of marriage without some twinges of melancholy and memory.

That simple trip to a place where I could think clearly, remember the past and come to grips with the future motivated me to move on and make my life good again. I continue to go because it never fails to make me escape from life for even a short time. Where else can you do that for less then $100.00 per day. That may be why I occasionally get tied up in being upset about the constant knit picking that goes on about the place. Don't we know how lucky we are to be able to go to a place like that where we don't have to be a child to enjoy rides, stories and the surroundings. Damned if I am going to get bent out of shape about a light-bulb out or a minor amount of chipped paint. At 70 years old it is still the place that makes me a kid again. No amount of cost is to much for that.

joejccva71

Original Poster
That might be because you let your inner child die off and you need someone to share your experiences with. However, that's not everyone. Shortly after my divorce I went there solo and for a lot of the time sat there on benches (back when they had some) and just remembered the wonderful times I had there with my wife and my children. I was at a fairly low point at that time. It's hard to just walk away from 29 years of marriage without some twinges of melancholy and memory.

That simple trip to a place where I could think clearly, remember the past and come to grips with the future motivated me to move on and make my life good again. I continue to go because it never fails to make me escape from life for even a short time. Where else can you do that for less then $100.00 per day. That may be why I occasionally get tied up in being upset about the constant knit picking that goes on about the place. Don't we know how lucky we are to be able to go to a place like that where we don't have to be a child to enjoy rides, stories and the surroundings. Damned if I am going to get bent out of shape about a light-bulb out or a minor amount of chipped paint. At 70 years old it is still the place that makes me a kid again. No amount of cost is to much for that.

Amazing. You're so right too.

Mark P.

I'll be spending a solo day at WDW next month because it's significantly cheaper to fly down mid-week, but my wife is a public school teacher with limited personal leave and won't be joining me until Friday night. It'll be weird not spending the day with her doing "our" Disney things, but I'll be able to do some photography without worrying that I'm making her wait around with me, and I promised to FaceTime with her during her breaks throughout the day. (She keeps saying she's excited for me, but I know better...)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I’m going solo for the first time in May, with the whole Family in August. I have so many ADRs setup at places for my solo trip that would ordinarily be tough to be done with kids.

Dutch Inn '76

I don't think that's what was said or meant in the quoted post. IMO, it's less a matter of "should" and more a matter of "why?". Without any sort of judgment or deeper thought process, it's just strikes many people as immediately weird to see this. The OP's title is "how weird. . .", and people are simply answering the question. Truth be told, I said the same thing to my wife when we saw this. If I were on my own, a Disney theme park is about the last place I'd go, for anything.

Right. Like I said, he "asked." I think going to WDW alone is weird. I don't think going to a restaurant or a movie alone is, or a long list of other activities. I'll bet that most people would agree with me. Not most Disney fans mind you; most people.

joejccva71

Original Poster
Right. Like I said, he "asked." I think going to WDW alone is weird. I don't think going to a restaurant or a movie alone is, or a long list of other activities. I'll bet that most people would agree with me. Not most Disney fans mind you; most people.

I'm curious, would you feel any different if I was with family or a significant other, but they weren't with me at the time I was standing in a queue for an attraction cause they didn't want to go on the ride? Basically you wouldn't have any idea whether i was with some people or not at the time of me standing in a line. I guess that's the point others were trying to make.

It's like if I don't have "someone" attached to my side or following me around to the attractions, then it's weird to some people.

Another thing is, why would going to a restaurant or movie alone be fine, but going to a theme park alone be strange? There's of course a myriad of reasons why I may go alone. Maybe I'm a local to Orlando and I had the day off from work. You know, things like that.

Just curious how some people think about things.

Last edited:

BigDave

I think he gave you permission.

There are plenty of great places for a solo adult- Trader Sams, EPCOT world showcase, resort pools/ water parks, Disney Springs, California Grill, etc. And it will be easier to get a reservation for 1.

Enjoy YOUR vacation!!

Attachments

• 77a006a2cf7d1ca6433b2788a419cbfe.jpg
    77a006a2cf7d1ca6433b2788a419cbfe.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 40

Dutch Inn '76

I'm curious, would you feel any different if I was with family or a significant other, but they weren't with me at the time I was standing in a queue for an attraction cause they didn't want to go on the ride? Basically you wouldn't have any idea whether i was with some people or not at the time of me standing in a line. I guess that's the point others were trying to make.

It's like if I don't have "someone" attached to my side or following me around to the attractions, then it's weird to some people.

Another thing is, why would going to a restaurant or movie alone be fine, but going to a theme park alone be strange? There's of course a myriad of reasons why I may go alone. Maybe I'm a local to Orlando and I had the day off from work. You know, things like that.

Just curious how some people think about things.

I personally have no desire to ride any ride at WDW alone. Please understand that I've ridden most everything there dozens of times, and have them all practically memorized. The fun in them now for me is experiencing them with a friend or loved one (but that's also true for the first time on a ride). Earlier this month, when we exited from our first ride on Flight of Passage, we were all abuzz about the experience: how great it was, the different sensations given to the rider (and about how disappointing NRJ is). Doing that alone would be uninteresting and frankly, a little depressing for me. If I'm separated from my crowd at WDW for some reason, I'd rather just walk around and take in the details or shop; do the "self absorbed" things that I wouldn't do with a companion.

Oh - and why is going to a restaurant not strange? We all gotta eat, and sometimes we all don't feel like cooking - or we want a certain thing that we might cannot prepare on our own. For me, its always better to have a friend along, but it's not strange to be there alone.

Just my thoughts...

crxbrett

I personally have no desire to ride any ride at WDW alone. Please understand that I've ridden most everything there dozens of times, and have them all practically memorized. The fun in them now for me is experiencing them with a friend or loved one (but that's also true for the first time on a ride). Earlier this month, when we exited from our first ride on Flight of Passage, we were all abuzz about the experience: how great it was, the different sensations given to the rider (and about how disappointing NRJ is). Doing that alone would be uninteresting and frankly, a little depressing for me. If I'm separated from my crowd at WDW for some reason, I'd rather just walk around and take in the details or shop; do the "self absorbed" things that I wouldn't do with a companion.

Oh - and why is going to a restaurant not strange? We all gotta eat, and sometimes we all don't feel like cooking - or we want a certain thing that we might cannot prepare on our own. For me, its always better to have a friend along, but it's not strange to be there alone.

Just my thoughts...

I don't know, but for me I find that a lot of times when I go alone people are super friendly and will strike up conversations with me and laugh and talk about a ride afterwards as everybody is exiting. I can kind of see what you are saying though and that could be a problem for people who are shy or introverted. Me? I am laughing and exclaiming how awesome the ride was that I just got off and then usually someone always starts chit-chatting with me for a bit.

I make the most out of it and still have fun being alone if I do go alone.

I don't look at going to a Disney park alone any different than going to a ballgame alone. I have had some awesome experiences at baseball games alone as well as DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom