PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

COProgressFan

The new World of Disney store will remove nearly all of the themeing and props. More of a "vanilla box" with departments that can be changed out easily. Lots of white slat walls and apparently more along the lines of other shops in Springs like Uniqlo.

Half of WoD will be closed during the renovation, necessitating the extra space. Once complete, the other half will undergo work.

Believe it or not, Disney is hoping their sales go up signifcantly as a result of the renovation (not sure I see the connection between a bland store and higher sales, but I digress). I wish it weren't true, but generic is the way they are going, from what I've heard.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The new World of Disney store will remove nearly all of the themeing and props. More of a "vanilla box" with departments that can be changed out easily. Lots of white slat walls and apparently more along the lines of other shops in Springs like Uniqlo.

Half of WoD will be closed during the renovation, necessitating the extra space. Once complete, the other half will undergo work.

Believe it or not, Disney is hoping their sales go up signifcantly as a result of the renovation (not sure I see the connection between a bland store and higher sales, but I digress). I wish it weren't true, but generic is the way they are going, from what I've heard.
Yes this sounds about what I've been told.

Remember, the problem isn't with the product, it is how it is presented ;)

KBLovedDisney

Believe it or not, Disney is hoping their sales go up signifcantly as a result of the renovation
Sure, just like this new software update from this phone carrier will hopefully promote higher sales of their new stuff...

(Yes, I'm venting. Bad morning and this doesn't help):mad:

Edit: WoD is so old school Disney cool that to me it is like them going in and removing GMR all over again times 10 (because I love shopping and this was my go to just because the way this store is themed I might add)

CJR

They probably won't see a decrease in sales, but the generic direction is one I'm not a fan of personally. I can just order online and skip the craziness of Disney's generic stores. Without experience, what's the point of shopping in store?

You get free shipping at $75, which is pretty easy to hit. I also noticed some of the stuff is cheaper online. So, you can save money, time, stress, and also know you're not missing anything since the soul of the Disney shopping experience is gone. Thanks Chapek.

KBLovedDisney

From this:
magical-ceiling-inside.jpg

To something like this (in my mind):
Mazis-Marios-pharmacy-by-Lefteris-Tsikandilakis-Pireaus-Greece.jpg

Yay...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Well, if that isn't "mall-izing" of Disney Springs, I don't know what is. Too bad. I enjoy WoD largely for the theming, as the selection of merchandise isn't anything I can't find elsewhere.

However, my experience is probably why they are making this change. I find WoD fun to walk around in, and fairly difficult to shop at. Merchandise is oddly arranged in many rooms, and it's hard to find what I'm looking for (when I'm looking for something specific). Nice sight-seeing, but bad buying experience. I buy more at the Co-op than WoD.

peter11435

Very poor move if true. There has to be a reason why its more special to buy cheap junk made in China at WOD than buying the same cheap junk from Walmart.

deeevo

Ah yes... so now I really have no reason togo to DS. I have an outlet mall 5 mins from me that pretty much has everything DS offers. Really the only reason we hit DS is WOD because it is so unique. Now it will just be a big boring Disney Store that looks like a Macy's inside. Kind of like the resort rooms are looking like Hilton's inside. I am not liking this pattern at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom