Main Street Fountain Removal

matt9112

I've never experienced it as quiet. The pathways are so narrow that you're constantly moving to get out of people's way. And given that it's a child care center, you have all the strollers trying to cram through the narrow paths.

depends on time of day....very quiet if the park is empty. sadly that's rare these days.

matt9112

And yet, fountains were opened in the hub astroturf areas and at Gaston's. And throughout property outside of the MK.

Which belies speculation that the Adventureland and other fountains have been and are being closed for environmental reasons or any other anti-fountain policy.

The big driver of change this decade at the MK seems to be operational considerations to deal with the massive crowds. This seems to drive the destruction of the hub and now its perimeter.

why don't they you know attack the root of the problem....the crowds?

Monorail_Red_77

Main Street West has been used as a "temporary" bypass ever since HEA debuted. Currently it is not at all themed, but commonly used. Most likely this is to facilitate easier use of that temporary bypass.
I have used the West Mainstreet Bypass once, even before the hub construction started. But, not since then. It has a different feel as compared to the pre themed East Mainstreet Bypass. When I was in it you could see all of the vintage street cars that run along mainstreet in their storage garage areas. Pretty cool. But I cannot see them applying a theme to this area since it is more than a simple backstage parking lot. mostly because of the parade setup and vehicle storage. Though I'm sure if they try hard enough they could make it happen.
I think this bypass has been used for some time although not as frequent as the east side.

Monorail_Red_77

I wonder if we may see a fountain return to this area. Maybe they put one in the planter area near Crystal Palace. I'm thinking kinda how they have the fountains in the hub area inside the planters as opposed to in the middle of guest traffic flow.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

One thing I wish they'd do, but I know it won't happen:

Instead of making by-passes to Main Street make actual side streets with unique/interesting stores and theaters (well, East side is getting that). Edison square would be cool.

The problem I'd see with the West side is that when you'd need the by-pass you'd have the parade in the way. You could argue that the parade has always been in the way, of course. I mean, I've been there and thought, "Crap.. The parade is happening. I need to choose which side I want to be on for what I want to do because the parade will kill crossing the park."

DisneyOutsider

Am I wrong to find it amusing how something as simple as this can set people off?

I don't think you understand...

This little bathroom corner next to the hot dog stand was LITERALLY HEAVEN! It's the main reason I come to the parks at all... and now that the fountain has been removed, it's no longer possible for me to go hang out in that area.

EricPZ

I don't think you understand...

This little bathroom corner next to the hot dog stand was LITERALLY HEAVEN! It's the main reason I come to the parks at all... and now that the fountain has been removed, it's no longer possible for me to go hang out in that area.
I know the area...I've changed my toddlers diapers in the baby care facility there on several occasions. I don't believe removing the fountain is worth worrying about.

hobovampire

I know the area...I've changed my toddlers diapers in the baby care facility there on several occasions. I don't believe removing the fountain is worth worrying about.
See, I dunno, I kinda see where fella is comin from. My siblings and I would often make bets on how many people couldn't wait in line and used the fountain instead post-fireworks when the crowds are at the heftiest. Sometimes we wait or the crowds to die down and throw pennies in it.
The Pee-Pee fountain will be missed.

SteamboatJoe

Am I wrong to find it amusing how something as simple as this can set people off?

I think, for some, the fountain is merely emblematic of a bigger issue they have with the management and creative direction of the park. Absent any logical explanation, this just looks like another downgrade, albeit a fairly minor one, to the overall look, feel, and character of the park.

Plussing these types of areas that other operators would've just ignored was a hallmark of Disney quality and detail and it seems, at times, like this high standard is slipping or is purposely being lowered for the sake of a few extra bucks.

I tend to agree this decision is probably more related to crowd management than anything but it does seem to have some characteristics of the unimaginitive, bean-counter, lower quality for higher cost mindset that many have criticized WDW operations/management of having lately.

EDIT: To be fair, they are making significant (overdue) financial investment in all 4 parks. I don't agree with the creative direction of all of those decisions but I do think the parks will be better and healthier overall because of them.

Last edited:

Randyland

The bottom line is that those who love going to the Magic Kingdom, and have done so for many years, simply do not like to see things being changed. It is viewed upon as breaking tradition, and desiccation of hallowed grounds. There are way too many posts outlining how Guest do not like the changes over the years, for it not to be taken into consideration by the decision makers.... Yet, changes continue, and so goes the breaking of the undying loyalty of the true Disney lover. The increased number of Guests in attendance drive the movements of changes, but no one seems to recognize that 10 new Guests could never equal only 1 old Guest who believed in the Magic of the dream.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The issue with those fountains is how their water circulation system was constructed and a lack of desire to spend the money necessary to change it.

The former is logical and understandable based on the age of the park, The latter is the abandonment of the 'Disney Difference' and what made a Disney park stand head and shoulders above the rest

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
After decades of increased attendance, I wouldn't be surprised if more and more things that take up space get removed.

At least they got the wishing well side of the castle bypass done. There's your quiet water feature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom