News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disney will be getting everything Fox had that relates to entertainment meaning yes the rights that Fox had concerning the Star Wars films will be with Disney. This could very well mean some form of release of the theatrical cuts in the future.

Only if the rumor that George destroyed the masters after theatrical release of the special editions isn't true.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes. But if you want to see a bunch of Star Wars fans wet their pants (i include myself in that) then go redundant.

The ONLY thing that Disney would do for me is to (1) find a decent master or first run of the original 3 movies and re-release them in the theatres and (2) take that master or first run and create Blu-rays in a boxed set.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As a big Star Wars fan myself I personally don't want to see the Fox logo before the new films. I know its nostalgic but they were never Fox's films to begin with, just Lucas's. I do however wish they would create a simple fanfare for the Lucasfilm logo .

Fox owns a New Hope. Fox had distribution rights to the first 6 episodes. I don't want to see the Fox opening removed from those...it's a part of that opening crawl, imho

bclane

I have the original theatrical releases on DVD. You have to know which 3 DVD pack to buy. It's nice seeing the opening crawl without Episode IV: A New Hope.
That is true, but unfortunately those are sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc and so the quality isn’t that great. I’m hoping for a 4K HDR masterpiece make bclane happy edition. Please Mickey, make it happen!

Movielover

Fox owns a New Hope. Fox had distribution rights to the first 6 episodes. I don't want to see the Fox opening removed from those...it's a part of that opening crawl, imho

Yes, but they were always the child of Lucas. Fox didn't even want to make the movies in the first place. It was only by Alan Ladd, the head of the studio at the time, who was impressed by Lucas's talent that allowed the film to be green lit. I certainly don't want to see the Fox logo disappear from the first 6, they've been altered too much already...

LAKid53

Premium Member
That is true, but unfortunately those are sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc and so the quality isn’t that great. I’m hoping for a 4K HDR masterpiece make bclane happy edition. Please Mickey, make it happen!

True, but it's better than that "Why, George, why?!!" special edition. I took my daughter to see Star Wars when it was re-released to introduce her to the best damn movie franchise. Didn't realize George had messed it up. I was livid and almost walked out.

I agree, make it 4k. So I can be in nirvana watching A New Hope on my 65" 4k Samsung. Oh, and a theatrical showing would be nice, too.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, but they were always the child of Lucas. Fox didn't even want to make the movies in the first place. It was only by Alan Ladd, the head of the studio at the time, who was impressed by Lucas's talent that allowed the film to be green lit. I certainly don't want to see the Fox logo disappear from the first 6, they've been altered too much already...

Yes, and that's what I said. Lucas was turned down by every major studio. Ladd recognized what Lucas was bringing him. But he got ownership in return for financing.

Movielover

Yes, and that's what I said. Lucas was turned down by every major studio. Ladd recognized whay Lucas was bringing him. But he got ownership in return for financing.

I think we can all just be happy about what may come from this deal...

And the fact that we have a new Star Wars movie being released in 5 days!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

bclane

True, but it's better than that "Why, George, why?!!" special edition. I took my daughter to see Star Wars when it was re-released to introduce her to the best damn movie franchise. Didn't release George had messed it up. I was livid and almost walked out.

I agree, make it 4k. So I can be in nirvana watching A New Hope on my 65" 4k Samsung. Oh, and a theatrical showing would be nice, too.
Agreed 10000%.

And if they do release an original unaltered boxed set, I’ll probably buy two just to show my appreciation. Don’t judge me. Lol!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think we can all just be happy about what may come from this deal...

And the fact that we have a new Star Wars movie being released in 5 days!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

If the ONLY thing to come from this deal was that 1st film and original theatrical releases, I'd be happy as a clam....

Although a new Die Hard film would be nice, if Bruce isn't too old.

andysol

Biggest thing out of this isn’t even the movies- it’s the 60% control of Hulu. They just got their adult streaming “network” to compete with Netflix.

A funny side park-related note is that Universal has Marvel and Simpsons, so just like that- they have another IP land based around a Disney owned property. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom