Disneyland "Social Clubs"

socaljoeyb

Original Poster
David Koenig wrote an interesting article today about the drama between 2 DL Social Clubs (lawsuits filed, smears, etc.). During my trips to the resort I have never have problems with them, however I can see their attire and numbers being intimidating to the average guest.

How bad is this situation? Does the stuff in the article commonly happen?

Does Disney need to do something about this?

TROR

I believe someone on MiceChat said that if Disney were to stop the monthly payment plan for APs, this problem would go away. Personally, I'd like to see them do just this as I view the social gangs as part of the overcrowding problem in Disneyland. I also view them as trashy, as evidenced by this article, and I've stated a few times how I'm sick of seeing trashy people at Disney parks.

SuddenStorm

I had no idea these Disney Gangs were a thing. Personally, I thought the names and outfits Koenig mentioned were quite ridiculous- I'm fairly obsessed with the park and it's rich history- but would never be caught dead in a jacket that said "The Main Street Elite" or ever consider joining a Disneyland "social club".

That said- there can't be more than 500 people total that are a part of these various groups, so I'd imagine the problem really isn't that huge- although the turf war Koenig discussed was especially amusing- and frankly, very ridiculous.

If I didn't know better, I would have guessed I was reading an article from The Onion.

People should be able to enjoy the parks how they choose- so long as their clothing, actions, and speech don't inconvenience the thousands of other people who are there to enjoy the park in a more traditional fashion. I don't think Disney needs to ban anything like this (or even know if they can), but they also shouldn't do anything to support them (like letting them think they can "play security" and help the CM's and stuff as mentioned in the article).

Last edited:

D.Silentu

The comment section is especially spicy- lots of good drama going on.

From the way some are talking, it sounds like there may be several social club members on that board. I'm curious, did anyone else think it strange that Disney, according to the article, allowed one of these groups to organize an unofficial charity event in the park?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Having been involved in the arranging of group events in the past, many unofficial events happen during park hours.

Rule Number 1 -You cannot collect money on Disney property, so if a group wanted to raise funds for charity, if they did the sign ups in advance and collected the money before the event.

You cannot imply that Disney is supporting the event in any way.

Your event cannot interfere with normal park operations or may any staff impersonate a Cast Member.

Those are the basics.

Some events may rent out a group area, such as the old Big Thunder area.

There are more, but those are the basics.

So no surprise in Disney allowing the event. It helps drive increased paid attendance, plus in-park sales.

Californian Elitist

I'm sorry I can't help it but cringe when I see motorcycle jackets/vests and mickey mouse combined in the park. These people can't decide if they want to be a kid or an adult. :banghead:

Mickey Mouse can’t be seen on motorcycle vests? Why not? He’s on other articles of clothing. Also, what would that have to do with being an adult or a child? Are the adults walking around the parks in Mickey/Minnie ears also children?

Kind of hypocritical of you to make this sort of comment, no? One would argue adults chatting on forums dedicated to theme parks is childlike and maybe even odd. Yet we’re here.

TROR

Are the adults walking around the parks in Mickey/Minnie ears also children?
yeah

Kind of hypocritical of you to make this sort of comment, no? One would argue adults chatting on forums dedicated to theme parks is childlike and maybe even odd. Yet we’re here.
Theme parks a storytelling medium no different than movies or books besides the amount of money they cost to create. Not sure where the idea of theme parks being for children comes from actually?

Californian Elitist

yeah

Theme parks a storytelling medium no different than movies or books besides the amount of money they cost to create. Not sure where the idea of theme parks being for children comes from actually?

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, regarding the first part.

To your second part, that explanation probably wouldn’t fly with someone who thinks going to theme parks is childish. Also, lots of the stories from Disney theme parks stem from children’s books and tales. Someone may look at you as “trashy” for spending time in theme parks on your own free will. “You actually like going to theme parks? I’d rather spend my money on a trip to Europe, visiting the cultural landmarks and drinking fine wine. You know, something actually classy and adult-like.”

It’s hypocritical of so-called fans to judge other fans for how they decide to express themselves in the parks, whether it’s bounding, the social clubs, etc. This isn’t The Edison.

TROR

To your second part, that explanation probably wouldn’t fly with someone who thinks going to theme parks is childish. Also, lots of the stories from Disney theme parks stem from children’s books and tales.

If someone thinks theme parks are childish, that's their own fault. Reality is they're no different than movies. Yes, they can be childish and stupid, like a comic book movie, or they could be educational like a documentary, or they can tell a grand story like an old Roman epic. It's a form of entertainment, and just like there are children's books and children's movies, there are also ones for adults.

Someone may look at you as “trashy” for spending time in theme parks on your own free will. “You actually like going to theme parks? I’d rather spend my money on a trip to Europe, visiting the cultural landmarks and drinking fine wine. You know, something actually classy and adult-like.”

That's because trashy people have ruined theme parks. They must be weeded out.

Tony the Tigger

And I thought people on these boards took things too seriously.

No matter which side of this story is more accurate, Disney needs to shut this behavior down.

Social groups are one thing. Clearly it has gone too far when people think they “own the park,“ or are more important than any other guest, and can take on roles as if they were security.

Disney biker gangs. Get. A. Life.

Californian Elitist

If someone thinks theme parks are childish, that's their own fault. Reality is they're no different than movies. Yes, they can be childish and stupid, like a comic book movie, or they could be educational like a documentary, or they can tell a grand story like an old Roman epic. It's a form of entertainment, and just like there are children's books and children's movies, there are also ones for adults.

That's because trashy people have ruined theme parks. They must be weeded out.

That’s not reality. Reality is we live on a planet by the name of earth. You believing theme parks to be like movies and books is an opinion.

No one needs to be “weeded out.” What I would suggest is try designing and creating a time machine (make sure it works) and head to the 50’s or 60’s.

Now, this whole “feud” business is ridiculous and a waste of time.

Phroobar

No, they just have REAL gang issues.
I set them up and you knock them down.

In reality, I don't think MM really has that much of a gang problem anymore. The surrounding area is very much like south Orange County with newer homes. MM has just as much security around as Disneyland does. Their security will actually do something about line jumping while DL cast members never do anything. I think that perception is more of a racist thing and memories of an event over thirty years ago. Sure, you have a lot of Hispanic teenagers and some rougher looking people but I see these same people a lot at Disneyland now too. The majority of crimes that happen at theme parks are shoplifting and unattended bags being stolen. Violent crime almost never happens in any theme park and their crime rates are actually lower than the surrounding cities.

Last edited:

westie

Not sure if its still there but in WDW there was/is a Harley Davidson themed store that specialized in all the custom Disney biker wear. Albeit I think its funny but if you want to be a Disney biker, so be it. There's worse things out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom