Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

I ran the full marathon untrained, the course and atmosphere does give you wings. Don't worry & enjoy
Totally agree. I think I've actually trained for 2 of the prior 9 years I've run. My fiance is doing her first half, so we've been training using the mileage from the Galloway program. I'm doing Goofy and not doing any additional training for the full & not too worried. It's more about having fun and the atmosphere helps you get through a lot of the course.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
LOL @RunningKoen. You and I have very different definitions of fun! :joyfull: At the moment a half marathon is still an acheivable challenge distance for me so I think I'll stick with it - particularly as it probably takes me longer to run a half than it takes you to run a full!

RunningKoen

LOL @RunningKoen. You and I have very different definitions of fun! :joyfull: At the moment a half marathon is still an acheivable challenge distance for me so I think I'll stick with it - particularly as it probably takes me longer to run a half than it takes you to run a full!

True & true.

I do however admire everyone who's taking themselves to complete such a achievable challenge, so best of luck! ;-)

surfsupdon

Don't worry, my training has been sidelined for almost two weeks. Which I know isn't a long time, but for me, in my world, it's an eternity lol

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yikes! I was already nervous before I saw your post but if someone who runs as much as you do says they're nervous, that bumps me into the scared zone.

He's running Goofy. You're doing just the Half. You'll be okay. This isn't your first rodeo.

LAKid53

Premium Member
4:10, within the first 2000 finishers. It's a piece of cake, those miles ;-)

But for real, I have no idea how I pulled it off. It really was the magic of Disney, the crowds, the characters, the route and the atmosphere.

Since that weekend, I havent ran past 13.1M.

For you, yeah. But congrats on that outstanding finish for your first....and last...marathon. No training, didn't hit the "wall"... Mind boggling.

Edit: That's about a 9.5 m/m average pace. With. No. Training. Gobsmacked.

werac

So, is anyone else just getting excited! I mean there is always the thought that maybe I didn't
practice enough, but the excitement is great. None of the other races I run during the year
can compare with Disney.
Nervous! Signed up for the 10K as my first RunDisney ever and got knee issues (still do) starting in September hoping to at least walk the 10K if I can't do a run/walk...Also my first solo trip to Disney so I am nervous about that as well

LAKid53

Premium Member
Nervous! Signed up for the 10K as my first RunDisney ever and got knee issues (still do) starting in September hoping to at least walk the 10K if I can't do a run/walk...Also my first solo trip to Disney so I am nervous about that as well

You'll be okay. Most of my trips to WDW are solo..for runDisney races.

FerretAfros

The event guide has been posted. In the past they've added more information closer to the event, but this one looks pretty complete already:
http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwmar18

Assuming the maps are correct, the Half and Full will enter MK through the bus loop and main entrance, rather than backstage as in the past. The rest of the courses appear to be unchanged (including no Pandora).

Presumably we'll see waivers posted next week. The corrals for the Half and Full only go through H, so they'll likely release us in smaller waves like what they did at Wine & Dine and Paris to help break up the crowds

Those are the only changes from previous years I've noticed (other than previously announced schedule changes for the expo & 5K)

lukacseven

...The corrals for the Half and Full only go through H, so they'll likely release us in smaller waves like what they did at Wine & Dine and Paris to help break up the crowds...
So, they sub-divided the corrals further into waves? Why not just have each wave as a separate corral like they used to?

Joe_90

That would create a 200 corral system. They release a very small amount of runners and after just a minute the next mini wave.

It works. At least, I think it works.

It works OK for the first few (fast) corrals. Down the back there is a certain amount of elbow jostling to get as far away from the Balloon Ladies as possible. Every second counts back there so everybody wants to be at the front of the corral for an early start. (Reported to me by my DW who's finish time wanders close to the max time limit for the races.)

lukacseven

In past years, I've been in B, C, D corrals for half & full. My concern this year is I'm running the half w/ my fiance - it'll be her first half and she did not run a race long enough to submit a proof of time until after the deadline. I'm afraid we'll get stuck in corral H.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom