Disney's Parks Chief Emerges as Contender to Succeed Iger

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Last time I checked Disney has had quite a few hits that were not related to any acquisition during the Iger era. This includes huge hits like Frozen.

So just because they have had success with Pixar, Marval, and Lucas, doesn't mean they are just an IP distribution company. However in all fairness, most large studios, including Paramount, Universal, Sony, and Fox are just distribution companies now and have been for decades. That is how Hollywood has done business for like 30 years.
While I agree Frozen was a "hit", it is certainly not a quality film from a critical standpoint...I won't bore you with all that I find wrong with it here...but just know its soundtrack (and maybe Olaf) is the sole reason it is the blockbuster it was. And yet, one could also directly tie its success into the bringing on board of JL and co. post-Pixar merger...
Yes, I am being a stickler here. ;)

Furthermore though, I think Disney (and yes, Hollywood at large) has delved headlong into the franchise mentality. Meaning that nothing can simply exist as a stand-alone film (something Walt was strictly against), and MUST have sequels and spinoffs galore. That I will grant you, is keeping with the times. But again, at a moment when Disney could have shown themselves to be (for lack of a better term) "different" than other Hollywood machines, they continue to play the game and cash their nice bonus checks along the way. Iger is not a risk taker, not an innovator, not a blazer of new territory, not an inspirer, and simply not a creative person.

Phew. OK, I'm done.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

89% of critics (according to Rotten Tomatoes) seem to not share your opinion on that.
Lol, I figured someone would say that when I posted that. I didn't mean critics thought it was bad, but when you break the movie down critically, a lot of it falls apart. But of course keep in mind, its all subjective.

dweezil78

Lol, I figured someone would say that when I posted that. I didn't mean critics thought it was bad, but when you break the movie down critically, a lot of it falls apart. But of course keep in mind, its all subjective.

Isn't that what critics do? I think what you mean is, when you break it down critically. When 89% of critics broke it down well, critically, they didn't seem to find the same issues you seem to have with it.

dweezil78

Meaning that nothing can simply exist as a stand-alone film (something Walt was strictly against), and MUST have sequels and spinoffs galore.

Also, the idea of the big movie/IP franchise as it is today, did not exist when Walt was alive. But Walt and Roy sure knew how to merchandise the cr@p out of their successes. I highly doubt either would be strictly against it.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Isn't that what critics do? I think what you mean is, when you break it down critically. When 89% of critics broke it down well, critically, they didn't seem to find the same issues you seem to have with it.
Yes you're right. Truthfully, I hated Frozen.
I hated it more when it took over Maelstrom.
It's a *****y movie, with a *****y soundtrack and a *****y talking Snowman.
Better? :)

dweezil78

Of course, no one says you're not entitled to your opinion. Just don't try to defend it as the general consensus when it's not! I don't like the movie either, but I won't sit here and pretend it wasn't a huge well-received success all around.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
cf91c4bc1010e68e625767906e6c5f673e49ea53953c53507024d616d1621c38.jpg

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Also, the idea of the big movie/IP franchise as it is today, did not exist when Walt was alive. But Walt and Roy sure knew how to merchandise the cr@p out of their successes. I highly doubt either would be strictly against it.
Merchandising is slightly different than planning sequels for the next 5-10 years and not blazing new ground creatively.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed. Walt Disney took the Davy Crockett TV series (which, is a franchise if you're telling story after story about the same person) and then packaged those TV episodes and released it theatrically as a Davy Crockett movie. Twice.

dweezil78

...in movie theaters...?

Exactly. Was Disney considered creatively bankrupt for consistently churning out new Mickey & Friends cartoons in theaters?

I'm not a fan of sequels and would rather see more original output from the company, just making the point that Walt was not against playing in comfortable/familiar territory for an extended period of time. And people often tend to forget just how different the entertainment landscape was when he was in charge. It's not even close to apples to apples as it is today and you need to look for parallels to see how Walt may have handled things if he were alive today.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Exactly. Was Disney considered creatively bankrupt for consistently churning out new Mickey & Friends cartoons in theaters?

I'm not a fan of sequels and would rather see more original output from the company, just making the point that Walt was not against playing in comfortable/familiar territory for an extended period of time. And people often tend to forget just how different the entertainment landscape was when he was in charge. It's not even close to apples to apples as it is today and you need to look for parallels to see how Walt may have handled things if he were alive today.
Not at all. When you're leading the charge in a particular field, its hard to be called "creatively bankrupt". But even he knew that there was life and growth beyond that.

Also, I would hardly call Walt's early years "comfortable". Living out of your studio because you can't afford rent anywhere else and eating beans out of a can for dinner...

dweezil78

Not at all. When you're leading the charge in a particular field, its hard to be called "creatively bankrupt". But even he knew that there was life and growth beyond that.

Also, I would hardly call Walt's early years "comfortable". Living out of your studio because you can't afford rent anywhere else and eating beans out of a can for dinner...

Look, all I'm saying is, people put Walt on some pedestal as if he would absolutely shun every action the company makes today. I think that is absolutely so far from the truth and we forget that he was around in a completely different era of show business where the things we're talking about just simply did not exist then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom