Magical Express Park or Hotel?

GregorClegane

Original Poster
I was curious if the Magical Express would drop off at Epcot prior to Port Orleans. Since I am flying in at 9:00 I thought about just going to Epcot and renting a locker for our carry on luggage, then enjoying the park, rather than going to the hotel first then going to the park.

I just wanted to see if Disney does this or if other people have done this as well.

Simba's Mom

And I think they will only drop you off at the hotel where you have your reservations. The DME reservation is tied into your resort confirmation, so unless you're lucky enough to be on the same route/bus as where you want to go, you're going to that one.

MickeyMomV

And I think they will only drop you off at the hotel where you have your reservations. The DME reservation is tied into your resort confirmation, so unless you're lucky enough to be on the same route/bus as where you want to go, you're going to that one.
This is correct. Once you get to the DME area at MCO they scan your magic band and direct you to the bus that lines up with your reservation/hotel.

I guess one thought would be if you wanted to check with the DME in advance you can see if you can take a DME bus to the boardwalk or yacht and beach club and walk over from there. By the time you rent a locker it may be about the same price to just drop your bags at your actual hotel and take a uber/taxi to the park.

GregorClegane

Original Poster
Thank you, I am trying to plan accordingly because I arrive at 9:30 at the airport and have a 12:15 lunch reservation in Epcot, so I am trying to figure out the best plan for that.

Rob562

I guess one thought would be if you wanted to check with the DME in advance you can see if you can take a DME bus to the boardwalk or yacht and beach club and walk over from there. By the time you rent a locker it may be about the same price to just drop your bags at your actual hotel and take a uber/taxi to the park.

I'm 99.9% sure DME would not accommodate that. The agreement Disney has with the airport is that they are strictly a transportation service for guests to/from their hotels and that they have to be pre-booked. They made those concessions to appease the taxi/limo/shuttle companies that also service the airport.

If they were to start letting guests choose where they want to go other than their booked hotel, those other companies would have legal standing to say Disney/DME is now a common carrier and thus in breach of that agreement.

-Rob

Last edited:

dreamfinder

They don't check when you get off the bus, just when you get on. So if you packed everything as checked luggage, and only had park necessities in your carry on, you could simply get off the first stop your DME bus gets to and get on an Epcot bus there. All your checked luggage would still be delivered to your hotel, and you just keep your carry on with you in the park. (IE backback) That could save you 20-30 minutes depending on what bus stop your resort ends up being on the route. Assuming your flight arrives on time, you are quick to deplane, and don't make any stops in the airport I think you might make it. But if your arrival is delayed, or you they just dispatched a bus to your resort, you might miss. I'd guess its usually 30 mins from gate to DME, another 15 mins for bus, 45 mins to WDW. Then another 15 mins to wait for Epcot bus, and 20 mins transport, you would make your 12:15. But shifting any of those times, you would miss. If in doubt, either drop the money on an Uber/Taxi or reschedule your reservation.

Trying to bring luggage through security into the park (where the lockers are) would be a pain (if they even let you do it), and I wouldn't recommend it.

GregorClegane

Original Poster
They don't check when you get off the bus, just when you get on. So if you packed everything as checked luggage, and only had park necessities in your carry on, you could simply get off the first stop your DME bus gets to and get on an Epcot bus there. All your checked luggage would still be delivered to your hotel, and you just keep your carry on with you in the park. (IE backback) That could save you 20-30 minutes depending on what bus stop your resort ends up being on the route. Assuming your flight arrives on time, you are quick to deplane, and don't make any stops in the airport I think you might make it. But if your arrival is delayed, or you they just dispatched a bus to your resort, you might miss. I'd guess its usually 30 mins from gate to DME, another 15 mins for bus, 45 mins to WDW. Then another 15 mins to wait for Epcot bus, and 20 mins transport, you would make your 12:15. But shifting any of those times, you would miss. If in doubt, either drop the money on an Uber/Taxi or reschedule your reservation.

Trying to bring luggage through security into the park (where the lockers are) would be a pain (if they even let you do it), and I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you for the extra info. I was thinking Epcot had lockers prior to going through security, but if that isn't the case maybe the hotel can keep them. I guess I could always grab an UBER once at the hotel, then I wouldn't have to wait around for the Epcot bus.

DisneyJoe

Many resorts (definitely deluxe, and perhaps some moderates) have CM greeters that meet a DME bus with their iPads to attempt to speed the check in process by meeting you at the bus and gathering info and walking you to the check in desk, depending on how busy that time is. I'm not sure what would happen if they expected you at a resort and you didn't show up because you got off the bus at a different one.

GregorClegane

Original Poster
Many resorts (definitely deluxe, and perhaps some moderates) have CM greeters that meet a DME bus with their iPads to attempt to speed the check in process by meeting you at the bus and gathering info and walking you to the check in desk, depending on how busy that time is. I'm not sure what would happen if they expected you at a resort and you didn't show up because you got off the bus at a different one.

Good to know, I already did the online check-in, but I assume that any keys or whatnot won't be ready until at least 3:00pm. That was my thought of going into Epcot for awhile first.

DisneyJoe

Good to know, I already did the online check-in, but I assume that any keys or whatnot won't be ready until at least 3:00pm. That was my thought of going into Epcot for awhile first.
Not necessarily. First, if you have Magic Bands, they are your room "key". Second, you can check in as soon as you arrive, and if your room is ready, you can get access to it, otherwise, you can check your bags with Bell Services and go to the parks. With online check in, it is possible you will receive a text message before you land telling you your room number - or you will get it later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom