It Sounds Like We're Getting A New STAR WARS Trilogy Featuring The Same Cast Of Characters

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...featuring-the-same-cast-of-characters-a154964

We know that there are still a number of Star Wars spinoffs in the works (including a movie revolving around Obi-Wan Kenobi) but what comes after Star Wars Episode IX in 2019? Well, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy has now revealed that the studio is currently in the process of planning the next ten years worth of films and it appears as if the focus will remain on the franchise's new cast of heroes.

"We’re sitting down now, we’re talking about the next ten years of Star Wars stories, and we’re looking at narratively where that might go," Kennedy says below. "Future stories beyond Episode IX with these new characters: Rey, Poe, Finn, BB-8. But we’re also looking at working with people that are interested in coming into the Star Wars world and taking us to places that we haven’t been yet. And that’s exciting too because its a vast galaxy far, far away, so the possibilities are endless.

Princess Leia

I really wish they’d stop releasing one film a year. Over saturation is bound to happen, and it could be sooner rather than later.

If they want to make Star Wars X-XII, wait a little bit. I’m not say that they should wait 16 years, but maybe wait for 4 or 5. Let the actors get a little older, pursue other projects, time off, etc. The first two trilogies had 3 year gaps between them, and that was fine. Make the release of a Star Wars film an event.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I really wish they’d stop releasing one film a year. Over saturation is bound to happen, and it could be sooner rather than later.

If they want to make Star Wars X-XII, wait a little bit. I’m not say that they should wait 16 years, but maybe wait for 4 or 5. Let the actors get a little older, pursue other projects, time off, etc. The first two trilogies had 3 year gaps between them, and that was fine. Make the release of a Star Wars film an event.
I have never quite understood this logic. If you simply look at screen time, Game of Thrones is the rough equivalent of 26 movies, Walking Dead is around 46, Doctor Who is well into three digits and they are all still going strong and we go nuts waiting a few months for them to start again.

As long as the content is good, they could release a movie every month and I would not care.

Princess Leia

I have never quite understood this logic. If you simply look at screen time, Game of Thrones is the rough equivalent of 26 movies, Walking Dead is around 46, Doctor Who is well into three digits and they are all still going strong and we go nuts waiting a few months for them to start again.

As long as the content is good, they could release a movie every month and I would not care.
I can’t speak for The Walking Dead, but Game of Thrones could have easily been trimmed a bit (example- sexpositon in the earlier seasons, Jon & Bran’s near miss at Craster’s, the poor attempt of including Dorne in the show). I can also admit that GRRM’s source books could also use a better editor. When the quality went down in Season 5, I stopped watching. I continued when I heard 6 was good, and while I’m excited about season 8, the quality of 7 makes me a little leery.

I want the quality of the new Star Wars films to be great, and I think TFA and R1 were good and fantastic, respectively. I’m just a little cautious about prequel projects like Solo and ObiWan. I love Star Wars so much (dressed up as Leia to work on Tuesday, and Rey to pass out candy that night), and I don’t want to see the quality of the prequels seep back into the franchise.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can’t speak for The Walking Dead, but Game of Thrones could have been trimmed a bit (example- sexpositon in the earlier seasons, Jon & Bran’s near miss at Craster’s, the poor attempt of including Dorne in the show).

I want the quality of the new Star Wars films to be great, and I think TFA and R1 were good and fantastic, respectively. I’m just a little cautious about prequel projects like Solo and ObiWan
As do I. If they start producing crappy direct to DVD movies like the mouse did all those years ago then I will be the first person calling for them to put a bullet in it.

However, If we can get a Force Awakens or a Rogue 1 every year, sign me up.

erasure fan1

If they can do 2 or 3 Marvel movies a year, and still make them all really good, they can do it with star wars. I have no problems with going back into the prequel era because there is nothing wrong with the characters (less Jar Jar) and the lore from that time is still good. As for the next set of films, I wouldn't mind if they used the same people but I would rather a new trilogy set in the old Republic first then go to10-12.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If they can do 2 or 3 Marvel movies a year, and still make them all really good, they can do it with star wars. I have no problems with going back into the prequel era because there is nothing wrong with the characters (less Jar Jar) and the lore from that time is still good. As for the next set of films, I wouldn't mind if they used the same people but I would rather a new trilogy set in the old Republic first then go to10-12.
I am not sure how I would feel about a KOTOR ear series. Part of me want that to stay in the realm of video games and novels, but another part really wants to see characters like Malgus get some screen time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Personally, they can keep the stuff like Rogue One. A needless money grab, IMHO, and that's coming from a Star Wars fan since the first movie. Did we really need an entire movie about the Rebels stealing the plans for the original Death Star? No, not really.

A single origin film around Han Solo would be fine. A movie exploring what happened in the years leading up to TFA would be good. But that's not how Disney does things anymore. Gotta have spin-offs and origin movies and fill-in-the-gap movies and minor character movies. They are giving Star Wars the Marvel treatment - A movie (or movies) for everyone, and then everyone gets together in a few movies.

DisneyFreak

As long as the content remains up to par then I think this is fantastic. It killed me as a kid waiting three years for another movie and the drought between 1983 and 1999 was horrendous.

Disney didn't pay $4 billion to let the franchise sit and collect dust after Episodes VII-IX were complete.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personally, they can keep the stuff like Rogue One. A needless money grab, IMHO, and that's coming from a Star Wars fan since the first movie. Did we really need an entire movie about the Rebels stealing the plans for the original Death Star? No, not really.

A single origin film around Han Solo would be fine. A movie exploring what happened in the years leading up to TFA would be good. But that's not how Disney does things anymore. Gotta have spin-offs and origin movies and fill-in-the-gap movies and minor character movies. They are giving Star Wars the Marvel treatment - A movie (or movies) for everyone, and then everyone gets together in a few movies.
Yes.

erasure fan1

When rogue one was announced, I had the same feeling. But once the movie came out and it was AWESOME, I thought if this is what we get every time, bring on the gap fillers and side stories. Do I want original stories? Of course. But I would hardly call a movie as good as rogue one a money grab. If anything it ads a lot more weight to EPIV knowing the sacrifice these rebels made. And I also commend Disney for not whimping out and actually killing off all of them.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
As do I. If they start producing crappy direct to DVD movies like the mouse did all those years ago then I will be the first person calling for them to put a bullet in it.

However, If we can get a Force Awakens or a Rogue 1 every year, sign me up.

I definitely agree with this. If they are well done, I could care if they put out 5 year. I would go to them and buy them digitally.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
New 'Star Wars' trilogy green-lit by Disney: http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-j...last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

Rumored to have been cut from that article:

When asked why make another film trilogy - "It's like 'Frozen' for geeks - 'Star Wars' just keeps printing money for us!!!"

Music heard coming from Kathleen Kennedy's office -

Several Disney execs, including Bob Chapek, were seen in a conference room prior to the decision watching the following -

Bob Chapek was reportedly singing a tune similar to the original "Energy" song, from Universe of Energy, that sounded something like, "Synergy... You make us proud, you make us money by the pound..."

That said... ;) I'm curious to see where they take things in a new, non-Skywalker-focused trilogy, particularly with Rian Johnson at the helm.

ppete1975

A sith movie... old jedis and siths... darth vader between the 3 and 4
and I'm super stoked about obi wan movie, so much to talk about while waiting for luke to grow up, and so many regrets... id love to see a castaway style movie.. where hes losing his mind. Then add some adventures of him saving luke, fighting gangsters and sandpeople. add Black Krrsantan and what a movie!!

Princess Leia

Pics or it didn't happen ;)
The Leia look was mostly ‘inspired’ but I had a white dress, a silver scarf (since I couldn’t find a belt), and my hair up in two buns, sooo close enough :p

Attachments

• D017ED25-8350-408C-9B9D-BA0249B9D61E.jpeg
    D017ED25-8350-408C-9B9D-BA0249B9D61E.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 78CA3811-1253-47D5-A828-C2270C6957E1.jpeg
    78CA3811-1253-47D5-A828-C2270C6957E1.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 239

ppete1975

The Leia look was mostly ‘inspired’ but I had a white dress, a silver scarf (since I couldn’t find a belt), and my hair up in two buns, sooo close enough :p
You did good you look cute, I didn't dress up at all. I was going to go as 70s purple pants hulk but the party got cancelled last second. I was going body paint no fake muscles lol.

BrianLo

Thor Ragnarok to me is a great reason why multiple movies can work. Sending certain characters away for a couples of years really made me miss them. They can definitely do more Star Wars films, but they need to branch out, instead of narrowly sticking to the Skywalker and friends story branch.

Seems like what Rian will be doing, especially if this is set temporally and in a different location of the galaxy.

What I don't want is anymore than 1 film every 2 or so years (with several years break between trilogies) for the Skywalker saga.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom