Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - I'm devastated for you! It clearly wasn't in the cards this time and was certainly the right call to make, but what a bummer! Hope it's nothing more serious than a terrible bruise ... and that you'll be ready and able when we run the DLP half next year :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: (for you I'd even consider one of the challenges :rolleyes:)

RunningKoen

I wish there was a way the tracker in your bib could recognize when runners take bathroom breaks. I've lost close to 15 minutes waiting in long lines at the scare porta potties along the course.
Using a GPS watch? My garmin trackes 'time moved' aswell. I didn t move for 44 seconds during the DLP half marathon (A corral hard core business <3)

Or you can just analyse the race info and check you're pace whenever you're stopping for a sanitary stop, food or drink post or photo stop.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@LAKid53 - I'm devastated for you! It clearly wasn't in the cards this time and was certainly the right call to make, but what a bummer! Hope it's nothing more serious than a terrible bruise ... and that you'll be ready and able when we run the DLP half next year :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: (for you I'd even consider one of the challenges :rolleyes:)

I didn't fall. I just took a step (on an even, level surface) and felt that twinge, kinda, like when you unexpectedly step on a surface a little lower than you expected, like not paying attention and stepping off a curb. But it was enough of a twinge that I thought "Oh, no, just what I needed!"

I'll have run both Princess and Dark Side before Paris.... And I doubt I'll be doing any challenges.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Using a GPS watch? My garmin trackes 'time moved' aswell. I didn t move for 44 seconds during the DLP half marathon (A corral hard core business <3)

Or you can just analyse the race info and check you're pace whenever you're stopping for a sanitary stop, food or drink post or photo stop.

I use the Fitbit Ionic and I'm not sure if it can track time moved - just got it a few weeks ago. I usually pause my tracker when taking breaks. Just wish the official Disney could...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Dark Side is early April, while Paris is end of september. 5,5 months in between. ;-)

And I do the Virtual Shorts in the summer, so I will have several races before then.

My son in law sent me this yesterday....I saw it and thought, are they telling me something in a funny way. With the comment "future daughter"....

123951.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've been getting severe weather alerts all morning regarding heavy, dense fog in the Orlando area. This is the view from my lake view room at Boulder Ridge (Wilderness Lodge) a few minutes ago...

20171105_074102.jpg

The lake is missing. Can't imagine running in this...in the dark.

Figment82

Oh man, I’m so sorry @LAKid53, that’s a terrible bummer! I’m a klutz too - I can literally trip myself standing still, so I understand! Hopefully your knee will feel better with some rest and you’ll be all ready for the party!

Unfortunately, the same problems that plagued me during the Star Wars half returned this time - humidity and a narrow/congested course. I actually ended up with almost the same time I had in April. Was hoping for better, but c’est la vie... I still have the Space Coast Half in a few weeks - hopefully I can redeem myself!

Also, I swear the mileage was off a bit. I know all about tangents and how they measure the course, but I was consistently a good .5 miles ahead on my phone - and I wasn’t alone. I could hear other people’s GPS devices going off at the same time. It started to get depressing after a while, haha!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh man, I’m so sorry @LAKid53, that’s a terrible bummer! I’m a klutz too - I can literally trip myself standing still, so I understand! Hopefully your knee will feel better with some rest and you’ll be all ready for the party!

Unfortunately, the same problems that plagued me during the Star Wars half returned this time - humidity and a narrow/congested course. I actually ended up with almost the same time I had in April. Was hoping for better, but c’est la vie... I still have the Space Coast Half in a few weeks - hopefully I can redeem myself!

Also, I swear the mileage was off a bit. I know all about tangents and how they measure the course, but I was consistently a good .5 miles ahead on my phone - and I wasn’t alone. I could hear other people’s GPS devices going off at the same time. It started to get depressing after a while, haha!

Thanks. Glad you were able to finish. How bad was the fog? It was pretty socked in here at WL. Not being able to see Bay Lake or the islands until close to 9 am was rather spooky.

I have the same issue with my Fitbit - it indicates a mile about a quarter mile before rD's mile markers.

Wasn't that run along the path to the Boardwalk fun with that fence? Wasn't it great running through Pandora in the early morning and being able to stop and see things? Were the barges lite and out on the river like they were for the 5k?

Looks like rain off and on for the rest of the day. Hope it's done by party time. I've got some ice again on my knee and it's starting to feel better. So in spite of not getting those two medals, it was wise to sit out the Half. I want to enjoy my post race days and not be one of those guests on a scooter....

Figment82

Thanks. Glad you were able to finish. How bad was the fog? It was pretty socked in here at WL. Not being able to see Bay Lake or the islands until close to 9 am was rather spooky.

I have the same issue with my Fitbit - it indicates a mile about a quarter mile before rD's mile markers.

Wasn't that run along the path to the Boardwalk fun with that fence? Wasn't it great running through Pandora in the early morning and being able to stop and see things? Were the barges lite and out on the river like they were for the 5k?

Looks like rain off and on for the rest of the day. Hope it's done by party time. I've got some ice again on my knee and it's starting to feel better. So in spite of not getting those two medals, it was wise to sit out the Half. I want to enjoy my post race days and not be one of those guests on a scooter....

The fog wasn’t too bad. You could see it hanging in the air but it never really caused any visual impacts. I was grateful for the overcast clouds - the sun tried to peek out a few times but I was thankful it stayed hidden.

That part between the Studios and BoardWalk was awful! I haven’t been over there lately so I didn’t know how bad the construction was - yikes! A cluster, indeed! And the dreaded DAK parking lot bottleneck...

It was great to run through Pandora (the boardwalk beforehand, not so much!) but people were flat out stopping to take selfies instead of moving to the side. But I love the early morning atmosphere in that area - and the drummers were a great touch! I didn’t see the barges lit up. They did have the IllumiNations torches lit as usual, one of my favorite details!

LAKid53

Premium Member
The fog wasn’t too bad. You could see it hanging in the air but it never really caused any visual impacts. I was grateful for the overcast clouds - the sun tried to peek out a few times but I was thankful it stayed hidden.

That part between the Studios and BoardWalk was awful! I haven’t been over there lately so I didn’t know how bad the construction was - yikes! A cluster, indeed! And the dreaded DAK parking lot bottleneck...

It was great to run through Pandora (the boardwalk beforehand, not so much!) but people were flat out stopping to take selfies instead of moving to the side. But I love the early morning atmosphere in that area - and the drummers were a great touch! I didn’t see the barges lit up. They did have the IllumiNations torches lit as usual, one of my favorite details!

So the same course as the Dark Side, but running AK in reverse from the 5k. I agree, running UP that boardwalk into Pandora would not be fun.

Didn't realize the party doesn't start until 10 pm. Got an ADR at Spice Roads for 7 that I just changed to 8:25. It would be too tempting to wander around WS for 2 hours waiting for the party to start. Last time i had time to kill, I bought a nice leather purse in Italy, on sale, of course. And then there's MouseGear, another dangerous place for my wallet, lol.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It was great to run through Pandora (the boardwalk beforehand, not so much!) but people were flat out stopping to take selfies instead of moving to the side.

I swear people's brains go out the window when they start taking selfies. Had to dart around several at the DLP 5 km finish because they literally stopped just before the finish line to take a selfie! WTH? Your medal is proof that you crossed the finish line! :banghead: (I may or I may not have bumped one or two trying to run around them :rolleyes:)

LAKid53

Premium Member
I swear people's brains go out the window when they start taking selfies. Had to dart around several at the DLP 5 km finish because they literally stopped just before the finish line to take a selfie! WTH? Your medal is proof that you crossed the finish line! :banghead: (I may or I may not have bumped one or two trying to run around them :rolleyes:)

That's one of my pet peeves when running..people who don't understand or ignore running etiquette. Walking more than two abreast in tight spots...and on the left. Running through people without announcing "coming through" or "on your left/"right" when having to pass close to others. Watched a runner put her hand on the shoulder and literally push aside someone who was walking with a partner - and they were properly to the right - as she ran between them, and didn't say a word, not even excuse me. If she'd done that to me, I'd have stuck out my foot and "accidentally" tripped her. The look on the faces of those two walkers ahead of me as this young woman pushed her way through them was priceless...daggers. I almost called out a runner who hit me with her arm as she brushed pass me. I always wait until there's enough room to pass and say "on your left/right" if I end up being too close.

And then there's the ones who cut in front of you and then stop, without signaling their intent. It's a simple raise your hand, people.

Or not move to the right to grab and drink a cup of water...and then just toss the cup, not caring if you hit another runner. I've had a few surprise "baths" thanks to other runners.

Figment82

Or not move to the right to grab and drink a cup of water...and then just toss the cup, not caring if you hit another runner. I've had a few surprise "baths" thanks to other runners.

Oh man that almost happened to me today. I was so thankful it was water and not PowerAde! I also love when someone grabs and cup and proceeds to slowly drink and walk right next to the tables, thereby blocking you from being able to get over to reach the volunteers. :rolleyes:

Figment82

So the same course as the Dark Side, but running AK in reverse from the 5k. I agree, running UP that boardwalk into Pandora would not be fun.

Didn't realize the party doesn't start until 10 pm. Got an ADR at Spice Roads for 7 that I just changed to 8:25. It would be too tempting to wander around WS for 2 hours waiting for the party to start. Last time i had time to kill, I bought a nice leather purse in Italy, on sale, of course. And then there's MouseGear, another dangerous place for my wallet, lol.

Yeah, almost exactly as Dark Side, except Africa/Pandora instead of Asia and the Y&B side rather than BoardWalk (curse those double bridges!).

Yikes, 10pm? I’ll be in bed by then, haha! I’ve never been to the after party, even after 8 years. When the races were at night, I just wanted to get home. Now, with it being a Sunday night and work in the morning, I opt for sleep instead! Good idea on the later dining time! ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah, almost exactly as Dark Side, except Africa/Pandora instead of Asia and the Y&B side rather than BoardWalk (curse those double bridges!).

Yikes, 10pm? I’ll be in bed by then, haha! I’ve never been to the after party, even after 8 years. When the races were at night, I just wanted to get home. Now, with it being a Sunday night and work in the morning, I opt for sleep instead! Good idea on the later dining time! ;)

If I'd run this AM, I doubt I'd make it to the party. I was pretty well done after the 10k. Getting back to the resort after just a few hours at MK (long enough for Mousekeeping to do my room), a very kind gentleman reopened the elevator doors for me as he saw me approaching. He said I looked beat and I probably couldn't have to wait for the next one. He was absolutely right...and I thanked him profusely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom