MLB 2017 Season Discussion

DisneyDoctor

I went to edit my last post, and ended up deleting it. :hilarious: Must be the shock of Cleveland going out early.

Anyhow, what I was wondering was, if Houston ends up beating the Yanks in the ALCS, would this be the first time a team has beaten both Boston & New York to make it into the World Series? I can't remember if any other team has done this in the AL playoffs before.
Interesting thought. Based on the short three minutes of research I just did, no I don't think that has ever happened! Sort of a mind boggling thought, a new AL team beating two teams with not only a huge rivalry, but some of the richest, if not most rich, history in baseball. Good for the Astros though, love Altuve.

DisneyDoctor

The rainout on Wednesday hurt the Cubs. Instead of getting to face Tanner Roark they had to face Strasburg again. I still think the Cubs pull out the Game 5 win tonight in DC.
I don't think Gio can shut down the Cubs tonight. But, crazier things have happened, i.e. Yankees last night.

Lucky

I would have to flip a coin to guess who'll win tonight's Game 5.
I think most baseball playoff games are pretty much coin flips. The Nationals got terrific starts from Strasburg and Scherzer in games 1 and 3 and lost them both. They got a mediocre start from Gio in game 2 and won. After each of the 4 games in this series the analysts have talked about how "the momentum" is now with whichever team won, but that team has gone on to lose the next game all three times.

The Astros and Indians both looked dominant after the first two games of their series. One of them went on to win in 4, and the other lost the next 3 and the series.

Comparing the 4 major pro team sports, the playoffs in baseball and hockey seem a lot less predictable than in football or basketball.

DisneyDoctor

I think most baseball playoff games are pretty much coin flips. The Nationals got terrific starts from Strasburg and Scherzer in games 1 and 3 and lost them both. They got a mediocre start from Gio in game 2 and won. After each of the 4 games in this series the analysts have talked about how "the momentum" is now with whichever team won, but that team has gone on to lose the next game all three times.

The Astros and Indians both looked dominant after the first two games of their series. One of them went on to win in 4, and the other lost the next 3 and the series.

Comparing the 4 major pro team sports, the playoffs in baseball and hockey seem a lot less predictable than in football or basketball.
Just one of the many, many reasons why baseball is such a beloved sport!

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
I would have to flip a coin to guess who'll win tonight's Game 5. The Nats have been a top contender all season long, and the Cubs, while nowhere near as consistent this year as Washington, have the reigning champion momentum pushing them. Should be a good finale to this series. Either of these 2 teams I could realistically see going all the way to the end.

The thing is, the Nationals are a top contender...in the regular season. They choke every single time in the NLDS, I'm starting to call them the Cincinnati Bengals of MLB...high powered team...cant come through in the clutch. I'll be surprised if they win tonight.

disneygeek90

Still hoping for a Yankee/Cubs matchup, my two favorite teams, though Cubs are clinging and Yanks have to go back to Houston. Hoping they can get it done in 6. It's been a joy watching this team play all year that no one gave a real shot.

DisneyDoctor

Still hoping for a Yankee/Cubs matchup, my two favorite teams, though Cubs are clinging and Yanks have to go back to Houston. Hoping they can get it done in 6. It's been a joy watching this team play all year that no one gave a real shot.
As a Cubs fan, I couldn't hope for anything better. Although, as a baseball fan, it'd be nice to see the Astros win.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Are we heading into a NY-LA World Series next week? I can't imagine any TV network exec for a station running the WS not being excited about this possibility, given the widespread national fan base for each team...

One word - YES!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom