Former Wet 'n Wild Site

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
Orlando Business Journal has renderings

Here are some highlights:

The theme park filed plans with the city of Orlando for a development with 4,000 hotel rooms that will encompass two or three branded hotel properties. "Hotels will be branded/themed to complement existing on-site Universal hotels, and will feature resort-style landscaping, resort amenities including retail and food and beverage outlets, resort-style pools and other resort features in keeping with the brands for each respective property," said the plans.

A traffic study said the 4,000 hotel rooms will be split into 1,200 rooms on the west side of Universal Boulevard and the remaining 2,800 rooms on the east side.

Industry insiders said Universal was looking at the potential to build up to 4,000 rooms on the former water park parcel that would have inspiration similar to Walt Disney World's All-Star Resort properties. They added that requests for proposals are being gathered.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...orlando-shares-a-look-at-hotel-plans-for.html

JT3000

New rumors are that one hotel will be Cirque du Soleil themed and the other will be DreamWorks themed and the complex will include a Cirque produced DreamWorks show.

Well, that would explain La Nouba getting the axe. Not sure these are the most appealing themes for a hotel though.

JoeCamel

Well, that would explain La Nouba getting the axe. Not sure these are the most appealing themes for a hotel though.
Expect a Cirque show back at DS. It will have plenty of DIS$ IP shoved in it. Gee, I thought I went to see them for their original, unique brand of entertainment. Guess I was wrong all these years and what I really wanted was toons mixed in with my acrobatics.

JoeCamel

I heard it on universal newscast

Been up for sale for a year. Think those guys are official arms of the company? They could have taken an option on it at any time. They have not exercised such an option to date. It did not come up for sale 3 days ago.

trr1

Been up for sale for a year. Think those guys are official arms of the company? They could have taken an option on it at any time. They have not exercised such an option to date. It did not come up for sale 3 days ago.
not sure

JoeCamel

That would be cool but I can't believe that Universal would start buying up small plots of land in the thought of one day buying the neighbors etc. WalGreens or whoever could just hang on and ask a ridiculous price. It could take for ever and Universal may not get the right to go over I-4.

Too many question marks for a big company. I'm wonder what the shuttle service will look like? Just buses? 4,000 rooms would produce many bus trips in a crowded area.
Can you say Gondolas?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have mixed emotions. I have no problem staying four nights at the Portofino. An awesome resort. Such Charm. We split stay usually We actually didn't hit Uni, we abruptly changed our plans and stayed at Disney this trip as Hurricane Irma was in the middle of our trip. Not knowing what it would be like outside the world we stayed put vs Themepark/Resort hopping which is our norm. I can write a pro con list what is better what is worse on the topic of Disney Vs Uni. But with my stays at Wilderness Lodge in September this year Uni wins the transportation battle. The launches from the Portifino to the Hub are timely and fast. Once you are in the hub there your need to commute and waste time is over. It was designed very well. Wilderness the only complaint for a Deluxe was their transportation. It shouldn't take me 40 minutes to go to or leave the MK. It is a 5 minute bus ride. Not much more for the direct boat route. It wasn't a glitch cause it happened every trip with the MK. The other parks we were in tandem with the Contemporary as well with Springs. The added time to drive almost to the MK stopping at the Contemporary and then back tracking to the parks or Spring made for very long commutes. I didn't get it, the parks were all walk ons for us because of Irma yet the transportation system still couldn't keep up before or after Irma. Uni did it right with a central hub. At certain times of day from the Portfolio we will slip into the dock of the Hard Rock but it is all along the same channel and same in reverse. It is moments not roads away. I'm impressed with how Uni has a great grasp on their transportation. Something Disney still struggles with, keeps changing up and yet still fails upon. Uni doesn't need a $20 Minnie Mouse van.

Our solution to an expensive vacation of almost 2 weeks at the Wilderness Lodge (which we do love) was to pass on Disney's unreliable transportation and just use Uber. For $5 to $10 (a drop in the bucket for the resort/food/pass cost we dropped) Free Unreliable transportation wasn't worth the aggravation in the grand scheme of overall costs. We bit the bullet and Uber became the norm over relying on Disney to get us to their parks. We did take a pass on the Minnie-Mobile though. Paying $20 for what Uber brought to the same table for $5 to $10 wasn't worth the Polka-dots. Uber was cheaper than a car rental and I didn't have to wade to a parking lot to car that was a bazillion degrees and was free to enjoy an evening cocktail utilizing Uber. A Win all the way around.

Last edited:

GLaDOS

Can't say I'm excited or really care about the new resort on the W-n-W land. I have friends who live 12 minutes from the universal gate so either I stay right on site or stay with them. A resort across the highway doesn't do much for me. In fact with the number of rooms they are talking about I'm not sure Universal will be able to fill the rooms??????

Universal's current resorts are at 90% capacity for the vast majority of the year the past 4 years. They need more rooms ASAP

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom