News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

jpeden

In the Parks
No
There is a difference between replacing an attraction that had some educational component with frozen and adding a new attraction.

To add to this - at least Brave (if it's Brave) takes place in the U.K. Frozen takes place in a fictional land that is inspired by multiple Norse cultures. It does not take place in Norway. That's the biggest issue with Frozen in Norway.

Sir_Cliff

They still have original films in the pipeline. If you want to see MORE of that, then make sure Coco is make a big hit.
Coco does look fantastic and I'll certainly go and see it! I don't want to pile on Pixar as I think Inside Out was an incredible film, but I do just wonder why they are leaning so heavily on sequels at the moment. In recent years, Disney seems to have been far better at putting out memorable original animated films.

shortstop

I haven't actually seen Brave, but I get the impression it does a good job of showcasing Scottish culture, whereas the other IPs we were all hoping for more reflect POP culture, which I don't necessarily think is the purpose of WS. Here's hoping Brave gives us a decent attraction. I'm hopeful.

jaxonp

IT's going to be a newer IP.. like with in the last 10 years.... I can't imagine Disney going deep in the well for this attraction. The goal: How can we sell to young families today??? Poppins doesn't fit the bill.

Castle Cake Apologist

IT's going to be a newer IP.. like with in the last 10 years.... I can't imagine Disney going deep in the well for this attraction. The goal: How can we sell to young families today??? Poppins doesn't fit the bill.

There's a Mary Poppins sequel literally coming out next year.

Not to mention the fact that the 1964 film is a treasured masterpiece that today's children are still familiar with and love.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

I menat to post this here but did so in the spirted thread but, When frozen goes in Norway everyone is all up in arms but they would be perfectly fine with Poppins, Alice or Pan, two of which don't even take place in the UK fpr the majority of the movie.

Frozen is mostly an original story that takes place in a fictional land. It's not hard to see why people think it doesn't fit where they put it. Not to mention that it was a major attraction with absolutely zero cultural relevance to the pavilion which completely replaced another major attraction that was culturally relevant to the pavilion. There's also the fact that Disney shoehorned an attraction based on their most successful film in years into a space with small hourly capacity, which also made people scratch their heads.

Poppins, Alice, and Pan are all based on classic British literature and their stories are woven into the fabric of the culture. Aside from that, this attraction would not be replacing anything, and is rumored to be relatively minor.

There's really no comparison at all.

Castle Cake Apologist

While I appreciate your love of Merida, maybe DON'T broadcast your passwords on message boards?

You should update your post to remove the password from the quote.

How exactly would that matter?
Fine, I'll change it again. :rolleyes:

Really? You can't think of any reason why it would be a bad idea to post your work password on a public website in which you also list your occupation and location, not to mention personal details like your date of birth and gender?

raymusiccity

The strange thing with Pixar, though, is their dive into sequels. Inside Out proves that they can still make an incredible original animated feature, but it seems that almost all they're doing at the moment is reliving their glory days.

Not necessarily a bad road to travel down. 'Toy Story' just evolved into a higher level of entertainment with each telling! :) Looking forward to 'Incredibles 2'.

Daveeeeed

It's a cute scene, but let's not oversell it. It doesn't show up in Disney montages the way that other scenes do. The opening to the Lion King, the ballroom dance from Beauty & The Beast, the dress transformation in Cinderella, Sorcerer Mickey, the spaghetti scene from Lady & The Tramp, etc.

And, remember, Sleeping Beauty wasn't all that popular when it first came out, either. It took years of theatrical re-releases, home video, and TV broadcasts to win over people.
The thing that gets to me is that Wall-e
They still have original films in the pipeline. If you want to see MORE of that, then make sure Coco is make a big hit.
It could make a billion, but still be a B film like Finding Dory etc. It obviously won't, but the film needs to be great, and honestly, it just looks like another one of Pixar's B films.

I'm still waiting for the next A film like Inside out or Up. To be honest, if they released one original film every few years, but made it incredible that would work for me, but in the meantime, their sequels have to be just as awesome. I have faith in the Incredibles 2, but the first is arguably Pixar's best film with its complex characters, excellent dialogue, and stunning locations. You forget you're watching an animated film when you watch it.

Daveeeeed

Frozen is mostly an original story that takes place in a fictional land. It's not hard to see why people think it doesn't fit where they put it. Not to mention that it was a major attraction with absolutely zero cultural relevance to the pavilion which completely replaced another major attraction that was culturally relevant to the pavilion. There's also the fact that Disney shoehorned an attraction based on their most successful film in years into a space with small hourly capacity, which also made people scratch their heads.

Poppins, Alice, and Pan are all based on classic British literature and their stories are woven into the fabric of the culture. Aside from that, this attraction would not be replacing anything, and is rumored to be relatively minor.

There's really no comparison at all.
Saving Mr. Banks too.

nickys

Premium Member
You're giving "everyone" a lot of credit there, beyond Maleficent. Especially when it comes to the average guest.

Any parent knows that "everyone" usually means a couple of cool kids....

As in " but everyone has a new iPhone"
Or. "but everyone else's mum lets them stay out until 2am"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom