When another Guest ruins an experience/attraction for you

danyoung56

ninjaprincesst, I tend to agree with you. But I also know, from all of my vast experience of raising exactly ZERO kids, that I could be wrong about all of this. So I don't come down too judgemental when someone says they have a difficult kid. As long as the parent is trying, and not just ignoring, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

John park hopper

That is all abunch of excuses for letting a kid be a brat, sorry she a brat. All these parents these days just make up this stressor and meltdown stuff its called being a brat, and if you use displine them they will stop, period the end. Its just this stop that crap us just that crap, if you actually discipline them they will stop, and if you raise them right they wont have temper tantrums, there is no such thing as melt downs, its brats having a meltdown. My daughter is 18 now,not one temper tantrum ever in 18 years, I never had to spank her ever, she was just raised to know how to behave.

To a degree I can sgree with you. From my own experience with 3 boys once past the age of 5 there were no temper tantrums because they knew it would not be tolerated by me or their mother you are correct disolpine and boundries are the key to well behaved children and later adults.

jaklgreen

Kids are smart and they are manipulative. If they think that there is even a small chance that they will get what they want by any means, including tantrums, then they will do it. It is up to the parents to nip that in the bud when they child is very small, 2-3 years old. They know at that age what right from wrong is and what you expect from them. I am not saying that a child will never throw a tantrum, they pretty much all do, what I am saying is that there should be only 1. If the parent's response is swift and there is absolutely no budging on the parent's part then the child will quickly learn that it will go bad for them if they try it again. Most temper tantrums I see from kids, either at WDW or at the store, is followed by the parent capitulating to the child, giving the child all of the power and the adults none. Parenting is hard and it is constant, if you allow the child to run the house then there will be non stop issues. Kids(and adults) are going to have bad days and cry or whine, that is different from a full blown tantrum. A tantrum is truly from a spoiled brat.

I would like to amend that I am talking about in public. Kids are allowed to melt down at home, it's their safe zone. But as your grandmas say, it is how they behave in public that matters.

Last edited:

allgiggles

That is all abunch of excuses for letting a kid be a brat, sorry she a brat. All these parents these days just make up this stressor and meltdown stuff its called being a brat, and if you use displine them they will stop, period the end. Its just this stop that crap us just that crap, if you actually discipline them they will stop, and if you raise them right they wont have temper tantrums, there is no such thing as melt downs, its brats having a meltdown. My daughter is 18 now,not one temper tantrum ever in 18 years, I never had to spank her ever, she was just raised to know how to behave.

It's so easy to judge when you haven't been in the situation. I don't need your approval or understanding of my situation but I do think you're being quite rude. I know my child and I know the situation, you don't. I also know what it's like to raise a child who doesn't have many meltdowns -- I have 4 of those. For them, discipline worked. For #5, we were dealing with a whole different type of meltdown. Be happy you had an easy-going personality child and didn't ever once have a meltdown. You should clone her.

Oh, by the way, that "brat" of mine...she's an incredibly mature child now....accelerated academically, number 1 in her class, and extremely advanced on 4 different musical instruments and very competent on 3 more. The counselors, teachers, and advisers who have worked with her have told us numerous times that the type of meltdowns she had as a toddler/preschooler are very common in gifted children...it's their brain working at hyper-speed and not being stimulated enough. You see, once she learned how/where to channel her energies, the tantrums/meltdowns went away, and the accelerated academics and musical abilities excelled and she became very easy going. Thank heaven's we didn't just discipline the "brat" and stifle all of her creative and intellectual energy. By the way, whether you believe it or not, it wasn't as simple as "just disciplining" the child. If you ever dealt with a child like her, you'd understand. But you were blessed with a perfect child and not my "brat" so you don't understand what it's like to raise *HER*. She's not your child. It's easy to be perfect on the internet where no one knows you in real life, isn't it? Our "brat" is an amazing child and I'm very thankful that she is surrounded by a supportive "village" and not a judgmental one.

Let me know when your "perfect parenting" handbook comes out --- I'd love to read it.

SourcererMark79

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DW and I also do not have children, so I speak from zero experience when trying to get little ones in order, though I do have experience herding cats. When I started this thread, I failed to mention that the dad was trying everything he could in a nice way to get the little one to chill out. Mom didn't do anything, as if she was so used to this kind of behavior she knew it was hopeless. So, short of dad gagging the kids mouth shut, I don't see anyway this could have gone down any differently. It unfortunately was an awful experience, but I'll be back there again soon to do it again, this time hopefully a bit quieter.

danyoung56

Kids are smart and they are manipulative. If they think that there is even a small chance that they will get what they want by any means, including tantrums, then they will do it. It is up to the parents to nip that in the bud when they child is very small, 2-3 years old. They know at that age what right from wrong is and what you expect from them. I am not saying that a child will never throw a tantrum, they pretty much all do, what I am saying is that there should be only 1. If the parents response is swift and there is absolutely no budging on the parent's part then the child will quickly learn that it will go bad for them if they try it again. Most temper tantrums I see from kids, either at WDW or at the store, is followed by the parent capitulating to the child, giving the child all of the power and the adults none. Parenting is hard and it is constant, if you allow the child to run the house then there will be non stop issues. Kids(and adults) are going to have bad days and cry or whine, that is different from a full blown tantrum. A tantrum is truly from a spoiled brat.

Wow - nicely put!

danyoung56

It's so easy to judge when you haven't been in the situation. I don't need your approval or understanding of my situation but I do think you're being quite rude. I know my child and I know the situation, you don't. I also know what it's like to raise a child who doesn't have many meltdowns -- I have 4 of those. For them, discipline worked. For #5, we were dealing with a whole different type of meltdown. Be happy you had an easy-going personality child and didn't ever once have a meltdown. You should clone her.

Oh, by the way, that "brat" of mine...she's an incredibly mature child now....accelerated academically, number 1 in her class, and extremely advanced on 4 different musical instruments and very competent on 3 more. The counselors, teachers, and advisers who have worked with her have told us numerous times that the type of meltdowns she had as a toddler/preschooler are very common in gifted children...it's their brain working at hyper-speed and not being stimulated enough. You see, once she learned how/where to channel her energies, the tantrums/meltdowns went away, and the accelerated academics and musical abilities excelled and she became very easy going. Thank heaven's we didn't just discipline the "brat" and stifle all of her creative and intellectual energy. By the way, whether you believe it or not, it wasn't as simple as "just disciplining" the child. If you ever dealt with a child like her, you'd understand. But you were blessed with a perfect child and not my "brat" so you don't understand what it's like to raise *HER*. She's not your child. It's easy to be perfect on the internet where no one knows you in real life, isn't it? Our "brat" is an amazing child and I'm very thankful that she is surrounded by a supportive "village" and not a judgmental one.

Let me know when your "perfect parenting" handbook comes out --- I'd love to read it.

Wow - nicely put!

Incomudro

ninjaprincesst, I tend to agree with you. But I also know, from all of my vast experience of raising exactly ZERO kids, that I could be wrong about all of this. So I don't come down too judgemental when someone says they have a difficult kid. As long as the parent is trying, and not just ignoring, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Seeing the parent trying makes a tremendous difference in my book.
And part of that would be one of the parents say - removing a screaming kid from a restaurant.

Incomudro

Kids are smart and they are manipulative. If they think that there is even a small chance that they will get what they want by any means, including tantrums, then they will do it. It is up to the parents to nip that in the bud when they child is very small, 2-3 years old. They know at that age what right from wrong is and what you expect from them. I am not saying that a child will never throw a tantrum, they pretty much all do, what I am saying is that there should be only 1. If the parent's response is swift and there is absolutely no budging on the parent's part then the child will quickly learn that it will go bad for them if they try it again. Most temper tantrums I see from kids, either at WDW or at the store, is followed by the parent capitulating to the child, giving the child all of the power and the adults none. Parenting is hard and it is constant, if you allow the child to run the house then there will be non stop issues. Kids(and adults) are going to have bad days and cry or whine, that is different from a full blown tantrum. A tantrum is truly from a spoiled brat.

I would like to amend that I am talking about in public. Kids are allowed to melt down at home, it's their safe zone. But as your grandmas say, it is how they behave in public that matters.
Nailed it.
I always used to say "someone is steering the ship."
"It's either going to be us, or the kids."
There is a difference between a meltdown because a kid is hot, and exhausted vs one who is using the tactic to get what they want.
They only use the tactic to get what they want if it's worked in the past.

John park hopper

Seeing the parent trying makes a tremendous difference in my book.
And part of that would be one of the parents say - removing a screaming kid from a restaurant.

I could not agree more. It does not matter whether a child has a medical issue or just acting up, it is up to the parent to insure their child is not negatively impacting other people around them- be it in a resturant, movie etc. This whole series of posts on child behaviour started with a comment parents were oblivious to their childs behaviour and ruining a dinning experience of others.

Figaro928

Wow... so glad i shared my little temper tantrum story:p Thanks to everyone who insinuated that my parenting skills are lack luster. lol... got a good laugh at that one.

Anyway.. I'll go back to now ignoring my kids :hilarious::inlove::hilarious:

Serious note though... my little 2 year old *brat* that threw a tantrum on KS grew up to be a respectable little gentleman.

***this is total sarcasm, i really did have a fun giggle over logging back after a week and seeing all the derailed comments about kids and parents and tantrums***

DanielleOG

First trip to WDW with my boyfriend May 2016. We were following a touring plan and hopped on the people mover for the first time. There was a woman in the car in front of us who was by far the most obnoxious woman in the world. Incredibly loud it was impossible to ignore her. We somehow still managed to enjoy the ride. When it was done we were headed to the Carousel of Progress. On the way there we hear that same woman shout that that's where she's heading. We looked at each other and just went "nope!" and skipped to the next ride. Luckily we did the CoP later on. We still talk about that woman from time to time.

graphite1326

I said something similar in one of my earlier post and was mocked. My two boys never threw tantrums or had meltdowns. They are now fine young men. We raised them right.

Incomudro

First trip to WDW with my boyfriend May 2016. We were following a touring plan and hopped on the people mover for the first time. There was a woman in the car in front of us who was by far the most obnoxious woman in the world. Incredibly loud it was impossible to ignore her. We somehow still managed to enjoy the ride. When it was done we were headed to the Carousel of Progress. On the way there we hear that same woman shout that that's where she's heading. We looked at each other and just went "nope!" and skipped to the next ride. Luckily we did the CoP later on. We still talk about that woman from time to time.

Smart move, good to be alert like that!

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
Other guests using flash photography has ruined so many experiences for me over the years. It usually bothers me most during Wishes/Happily Ever After because everyone is in such close proximity and I'll wind up with someone directly behind me or beside me who decides they need to film the entire show with their flash on, which is incredibly distracting.

DanielleOG

Other guests using flash photography has ruined so many experiences for me over the years. It usually bothers me most during Wishes/Happily Ever After because everyone is in such close proximity and I'll wind up with someone directly behind me or beside me who decides they need to film the entire show with their flash on, which is incredibly distracting.
Similar to that, people filming fireworks on their phones. I'm short and I can't stand watching the fireworks just to have someone's giant smart phone blocking my view. Enjoy the moment, people! If you want to watch the fireworks again at home, there's YouTube for that.

Jedi Stitch

Ever once in awhile I find myself on a ride with someone who must be the exact negative spot in the universe and must let everyone around them know this. Why is it when it your first ride, you are stuck next to the guy who has rode it so many times he doesn't get joy out of it. I get BO in the heat, and some people in ability to think, hey maybe I should bring more pit stick to reaply my melting afternoon temp times. I don't get how as soon as the doors enclose in some enclosed space, be Monorail, or packed pre show area, some one either thinks "hey its a great time to check for that Shart", or to stretch those sweaty pits in your face.

allgiggles

Similar to that, people filming fireworks on their phones. I'm short and I can't stand watching the fireworks just to have someone's giant smart phone blocking my view. Enjoy the moment, people! If you want to watch the fireworks again at home, there's YouTube for that.

I'm short, too, and somehow I always manage to end up behind the person recording the fireworks on their full-size i-Pad/Tablet. Seriously, just go home and search YouTube. There are videos of every nighttime show at Disney since the beginning of time...and many of them are a far better quality that what you're going to end up with on your phone/table while holding it over your head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom