Disneyland Half Marathon

kevlightyear

Yeah, Clif had no presence at the Expo. They gave out sport beans on the course.

Also on the course were Race Guard support teams. We visited their booth at the expo. Celebration Hospital still ran the med tents, but the Race Guard duos were running the course and were there to provide on the spot first aid. I saw them a bunch--really cool service.
http://www.raceguards.org

Texas84

Well Sunday morning came around and in spite of the heat, I thought I might go for it, after all I did a 11 mile run in 90' weather back home. However I knew it would be a challenge, so in a brilliantly foolish stroke of "genius", I decided to do the run/walk with the 2:00 pacer. This in spite of the fact that I have never done the run/walk before. My logic was "it's hot" I need to do something different. What I failed to take into account was that in spite of the walk breaks I had not trained to run an 8:40 pace even for short bursts. So I could not get enough wind back during the walk breaks to sustain the increased speed I was churning out for the first 5 miles of the race.

I saw the 2:00 pacer in corral B and I just laughed. Hahaha, NO! :D

RunningKoen

Saw a lady pass out after the race near the ferris wheel.

It was just so hot, people forget to keep hydrating.

The extreme heat just quickens the process, but this is a problem in general.

I've seen several people going down, or ambulances on the route during 15K/10M races without heat (running in the Netherlands ... )where they lack hydration before or during the race. It even happened to a friend of mine during a 10K race with max temperature around 60-65?

At the first time, it was quite scary for me to see; but after a while you'll almost get used to it. Same for people struggling with (severe) injuries during a race. Runners are weird people for sure.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Yes, Clif is phased out, they do not provide energy shots or bars any longer. It was some sport jelly bean.

Galloway were the official pacers, but Beast Pacers were also present at the race...who run the entire course, which is what is also needed. Hope WDW races can get a running only pace group too.

After I asked, I noticed that Clif was no longer listed as a sponsor. Disappointing that they "replaced" it with beans. Admittedly I'd never recommend using a random gel during a race that you didn't typically train with, but I find that doing a gel for gel swap to be much more consistent at least than swapping a gel for a bean.

Were the Beast Pacers official? Or just there.

I saw the 2:00 pacer in corral B and I just laughed. Hahaha, NO! :D

I've noticed that some pacers have no clue about properly positioning themselves in a corral. One WDW race I did 5-6 years ago, the pacer I was running with put herself way early, and was passed by 2 other groups. Heck, last half I did a few weeks ago the pacer was looking to the runners to tell him how close he was to the pace.

Texas84

I've noticed that some pacers have no clue about properly positioning themselves in a corral. One WDW race I did 5-6 years ago, the pacer I was running with put herself way early, and was passed by 2 other groups. Heck, last half I did a few weeks ago the pacer was looking to the runners to tell him how close he was to the pace.

He was probably in the correct corral but there was NO way I was running a 2-hour half that day. :)

surfsupdon

The faster pacers, at least, have been incredibly helpful. They monitor the time on their fancy watches, and we have good group conversations to take your mind off the miles.

I have also noticed that sometimes we get a pacer change around mile 8. Meaning our pacer we started with will drop back and a new pacer will meet us and begin around mile 8.

Mark P.

Glad I ran 2017.

https://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/run-disney/

We have heard from many of you over the past few months regarding registration for runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our runDisney race events and want to share the following update with you.

Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters.

After careful consideration and weighing all possibilities, we have made the very difficult decision to place all runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort on hiatus beginning in 2018. This includes the associated Coast to Coast Race Challenges.

Anyone who has registered for one of these races will be contacted directly by runDisney today by email and will receive a full refund for registration fees and for any commemorative items they may have purchased.

While news of this hiatus is sad to share, we are so thankful for the magic and memories you have helped create at our race weekends through the years. We look forward to hosting the upcoming Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort November 9-12, and we hope to see many of you there.

We encourage runners to continue to visit runDisney.com for other race opportunities. A full schedule of races at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris are currently still being offered, in addition to our virtual race series. Guests with questions can contact rundisney@disneysports.com.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@Surferboy567, if (and that's a BIG if) the Anaheim races resume, make sure (1) the thread title gets changed if the race name does and (2) ask the mods to repin the thread(s). There's a lot of angst and some anger on social media when runDisney announces more or updates to existing WDW races and is silent on the DLR ones. We don't want to upset our West Coast brethren.

Surferboy567

@Surferboy567, if (and that's a BIG if) the Anaheim races resume, make sure (1) the thread title gets changed if the race name does and (2) ask the mods to repin the thread(s). There's a lot of angst and some anger on social media when runDisney announces more or updates to existing WDW races and is silent on the DLR ones. We don't want to upset our West Coast brethren.

No problem, it’s unlikely though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom