Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
thanks all for the comments on the fireworks shots!

I think my camera is pretty awesome, but truth be told my old Sony Nex-7 could have also done a great job with the fireworks. Any DSLR as well. Or even a point & shoot where you can control the settings.

The key is knowing how to take these long exposure photos. My first "real" video on our Youtube video goes through the "how". I covered most of the important points. The biggest thing I failed to mention is to use manual focusing (although I hinted at it). Anyway, here's the video if you are so inclined.

If you're not all too interested just know it starts off a kinda awkward and goofy leaving plenty of room to make fun of me, so there's that.

I hope it can at least inspire some to make the effort as I was certainly inspired by others!

If you have any questions, fire away.

imthewalrus79

I generally, in the past, have kinda' just skimmed through most trip reports and not chimed in very often. And, although I have yet to chime in on this one (and this is one of the few TRs I've actually followed all the way through), the fireworks photos were the tipping point. Besides the fact that all of your photos are pretty amazing, I also hafta' say BRAVO sir to those fireworks pics...simply STUNNING...!!!!!!! :joyfull: :)

A couple of other things off the top of my head...
I was a bit surprised you had never ridden the WDWRR, or been at MK during sunset. :jawdrop: ;) But, I know there are a large number of things we have yet to do at WDW that would make others go :jawdrop:, also...!!! :hilarious: :)

Anyway, an awesome TR all the way around, and thanks for taking the time to share it with us...!!! :)

I love sunset at the Disney Parks. In Florida, I love being on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom watching the sun go down and the lights come on. When I'm out in California, I love grabbing some dinner, sitting in New Orleans Square by the Rivers of America listening to some great New Orleans jazz play.

@fractal You've had some amazing shots throughout these trip reports. But man, these fireworks photos are beyond amazing. Disney should definitely use you to photograph the parks for their promotional materials! I've been looking at panels like this to hang in my living room: https://www.thesevenshop.com/produc...aEHwYRNPtQmgaAsxJEALw_wcB&variant=40524685901

Now, I'm finding that I don't think any of the shots I've seen on these panels would look as good as a lot of your shots of the fireworks.

fractal

Original Poster
With Mission HEA complete and MK open until midnight, Sterg and I made our way to Haunted Mansion. As an aside, I do miss the days of MK staying open until 1 or 2am.

HM is always a little better at night and there was little wait on this one.

_DSC2196-X4.jpg

After the shot in the stretching room, I put the camera away to enjoy one of my favorites.

Next stop was Splash.

_DSC2253-X2.jpg

which is also pretty cool at night.

_DSC2254-X2.jpg

_DSC2264-X2.jpg

_DSC2269-X4.jpg

_DSC2272-X4.jpg

_DSC2276-X2.jpg

Howdy boys!

_DSC2286-X2.jpg

After Splash, we headed back to the Hub; but not before a few more photos. I didn't feel like setting up the tripod so I utilized the posts along the river to capture these 10 second exposures.

_DSC2299-4K.jpg

_DSC2301-X5.jpg

The railing on the bridge provided the stability for these 1/2 second shots. Although I took my camera strap off my neck, I made sure to wrap it around my wrist securely. The last thing I needed was to drop
camera and lens in the water.

_DSC2303-X2.jpg

_DSC2304-X2.jpg

Finally back at the hub. I think I used the top of a trash can for these.

_DSC2305-X5.jpg

_DSC2309-X5.jpg

We stayed for The Kiss Goodnight, which Sterg never knew about, then turned to head down Main Street.

_DSC2312-X5.jpg

Last edited:

ksr99

Sterg making another video.

_DSC2046-X2.jpg

We were quite the pair as we merrily walked towards the castle.

_DSC2047-X2.jpg

_DSC2049-X2.jpg

Everything was right in the world. For those moments around the castle that evening I really did leave all my worries behind. I remember looking at Sterg as he walked around with a big smile on his face. I felt relief that I didn't have the burden of everyone else's enjoyment and the pressure to get to the next "thing to do". I was in a true state of Hakuna Matata.

A problem free, philosophy - at least for that small slice of time.

_DSC2050-X2.jpg

We left the hub (but would be back!).

Magical sunset.

DSC00266-X2.jpg

_DSC2055-X2.jpg

With no dinner plans we were free to make them on the fly.

Which we did!

_DSC2056-X2.jpg

Cheapest meal I've ever had at Disney.

_DSC2057-X2.jpg

Come to Papa! Dole whip #2 for the Day!

_DSC2058-X2.jpg

As I explained to Sterg the story and history behind Dole Whips in the Tiki Room (and MK now allowing it!) we made our way to another Walt classic.

_DSC2060-X2.jpg
@fractal that castle pic!!!

fractal

Original Poster
Currently waiting for the next fractal family vacation like....
16-Dwight-Kurt-Schrute-III.png

Spectacular trip report :) - you've really inspired me to try to be more photogenic on my next trip!
Thanks @spacemt354 ! I was inspired by others 10 years ago. Very worthwhile.

I love sunset at the Disney Parks. In Florida, I love being on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom watching the sun go down and the lights come on. When I'm out in California, I love grabbing some dinner, sitting in New Orleans Square by the Rivers of America listening to some great New Orleans jazz play.

@fractal You've had some amazing shots throughout these trip reports. But man, these fireworks photos are beyond amazing. Disney should definitely use you to photograph the parks for their promotional materials! I've been looking at panels like this to hang in my living room: https://www.thesevenshop.com/produc...aEHwYRNPtQmgaAsxJEALw_wcB&variant=40524685901

Now, I'm finding that I don't think any of the shots I've seen on these panels would look as good as a lot of your shots of the fireworks.
Yes, need to be in the parks more around sunset! Thanks for the compliments! You can order my prints of my photos pretty cheap on my smugmug account if interested!

We love Magic Kingdom at night, and also miss the days of 2:00 am park closing.
Amen!

@fractal that castle pic!!!
Thanks sir!

WOW...just WOW!!!
I'm blushing! Thanks @PrincessL !

I know you've heard this a million times already, but your pictures are AMAZING :) it's really making me consider buying a mirrorless camera
Thanks @Lyssa! Mirrorless photos are no better or worse than comparable DSLRs but each have it's advantages and disadvantages. Mirrorless suits me right.

donaldtoo

With Mission HEA complete and MK open until midnight, Sterg and I made our way to Haunted Mansion. As an aside, I do miss the days of MK staying open until 1 or 2am.

HM is always a little better at night and there was little wait on this one.

_DSC2196-X2.jpg

After the shot in the stretching room, I put the camera away to enjoy one of my favorites.

Next stop was Splash.

_DSC2253-X2.jpg

which is also pretty cool at night.

_DSC2254-X2.jpg

_DSC2264-X2.jpg

_DSC2272-X2.jpg

_DSC2276-X2.jpg

Howdy boys!

_DSC2286-X2.jpg

After Splash, we headed back to the Hub; but not before a few more photos. I didn't feel like setting up the tripod so I utilized the posts along the river to capture these 10 second exposures.

_DSC2299-X3.jpg

_DSC2301-X2.jpg

The railing on the bridge provided the stability for these 1/2 second shots. Although I took my camera strap off my neck, I made sure to wrap it around my wrist securely. The last thing I needed was to drop
camera and lens in the water.

_DSC2303-X2.jpg

_DSC2304-X2.jpg

Finally back at the hub. I think I used the top of a trash can for these.

_DSC2306-X2.jpg

_DSC2308-X2.jpg

We stayed for The Kiss Goodnight, which Sterg never knew about, then turned to head down Main Street.

_DSC2312-X2.jpg

Ahhh, yes, we also very much miss those super-late MK hours from years past. I remember when you had to have a wristband for them...good times...! :happy: :)

Again, awesome pics!
I really like the ones of RoA with the glassy-water reflections...! :)

Lyssa

Thanks @Lyssa! Mirrorless photos are no better or worse than comparable DSLRs but each have it's advantages and disadvantages. Mirrorless suits me right.

I love my DSLR, it's just such a hassle to carry around to places, especially at an amusement park [though it was great at National Parks], so I'm trying to find a camera that takes DSLR level photos, but I can carry around easier, and mirrorless seems to be a front contender for that

fractal

Original Poster
Earlier that day I was walking down Main Street in sunlight, now it was at night and although I was not alone, Sterg was more than willing to wait as I added more photos to my collection.

No long exposures here, these are all hand-held but I think they came out pretty good.

_DSC2313-X2.jpg

_DSC2315-X2.jpg

_DSC2316-X4.jpg

_DSC2319-X2.jpg

_DSC2320-X2.jpg

Sterg and I discussed how people (including us) just did not want to leave Magic Kingdom.
The park was closed, the Kiss goodbye was over but there was still a nice sized crowd just milling around. I think it's the feeling you have just being in MK.

_DSC2323-X4.jpg

In hindsight, I wish I would have taken out my tripod. Oh well, next time.

_DSC2324-X5.jpg

_DSC2325-X2.jpg

Glad we didn't have to wait in this line.

_DSC2328-X2.jpg

There was a huge line however for the Yacht and Beach Club buses. By contrast the Boardwalk bus line (which was right next to us) was almost empty. As I saw a Boardwalk bus approach I asked Sterg if he was up going to the Boardwalk and walking to the YC from there. He was game and before long we were here...

_DSC2330-X2.jpg

_DSC2332-X5.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Sterg was hungry so while he waited for a slice of pizza I took some shots of the Boardwalk.

_DSC2336-X2.jpg

I was tempted but decided against the Margarita.

_DSC2341-X2.jpg

A late night crowd had gathered.

_DSC2342-X5.jpg

I was able to shoot this at ISO 500, f/3.5 on my 18mm lens. The camera's in body stabilization really helped out as I managed a pretty slow shutter speed of 1/15 of a second.

_DSC2343-X2.jpg

Used the railing to help take this. It wasn't completely flat so I did my best to keep the camera still for 1.6 seconds.

_DSC2340-X5.jpg

On the way back to YC we stopped for a few more photos. I like the moon over the Lighthouse. A few things I would have done different, switch out the 18mm lens for my 55mm lens. I really had to crop this photo too much. Also should have taken the time to break out the tripod. But it was late and we were running on fumes.

_DSC2347-X5.jpg

Last one for the evening.

_DSC2349-X5.jpg

With that we went up to our room and officially ended "Boy's Day". We learned that the "girls" also had a fun time so for a Friday that didn't start off that great, everything worked out pretty awesome!

Up next : More dodging rain drops, My biggest disappointment of the trip, and Pirates get even.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Yet another "absolutely stunning" vote on your HEA photos.

I'm sure it's just that I've hung out with lawyers for way too long, but you should consider watermarking those with a copyright before posting them online. Wouldn't want to see those gorgeous images turn up somewhere without proper credit to you. Not that any of our members would do such a thing, but once they're on the internet...anything could happen. :confused: (I know, I know, I'm a horrible suspicious person)

Well, should have followed your advise. So far I've caught 2 people (that I follow!) on instagram that stole one of my photos and posted as their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom