Trip Report Disneyland and D23 Expo 2017 Completed

Hello! Okay, I guess I didn't think of the most creative title but it does the job. :)

My husband (Brad) and I (Amy) decided last year in July while riding Mickey's Fun Wheel at California Adventure to attend the D23 Expo in 2017. Why? We were looking over at the Convention Center from the top of the wheel and I told him that's where the Expo would be held and how it might be fun to go. He agreed.

When we returned from California I book our hotel rooms and in December 2016 on Christmas Eve I purchased our 3 day tickets (with early bird pricing) to the Expo. Somewhere on some unimportant date I also bought airfare! Ha! We had renewed our premier pass in September, so admission was covered for Disneyland.

Fast forward not to July 2017 and our travel dates were July 12 to July 18, 2017. Hey look at that, we would be there on Disneyland's birthday too! We were hoping that the train and boats would be back in operation (spoiler alert...) they weren't, but Fantasmic did open while we were there.

So here we go!

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @ @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We were having fun exploring the vendor area but it was getting close to the time to head into the Pirates panel, but we decided to head down one more aisle before going to the Pirates panel. BEST DECISION EVER!!!

As soon as we turned the corner I saw a man talking to some people and I saw the man in the middle was Bob Gurr! I was so excited I actually tugged on Brad's arm and fan girled out and said, "Brad, Brad, that's Bob Gurr!!!" Soon, like 5 seconds later, the people he was talking to left and in a move that is unusual for me (I'm generally shy and introverted) we went over and said hello. He was very nice and chatted with us for a bit. I really don't remember much of the conversation, he is such a legend I was in awe. At the end of our conversation with him Brad shook his hand and Bob refused to shake my hand. He said that ladies get hugs instead! So a conversation with Bob Gurr, a picture with Bob Gurr, and a hug from Bob Gurr! This is the best day ever!!!
IMG_2301.JPG

After we left Bob we walked a couple more feet to another booth and I was looking at a book and was standing next to a guy. This guy was talking to the vendor, and then I looked at the guy next to me and much to my surprise was another Disney Imagineer, Tom Nabbe. I had recently learned more about Tom Nabbe and his work with Disney especially his work at Walt Disney World so again I was thrilled. This time I didn't even tell Brad who it was before I started talking to Mr. Nabbe. I'm pretty sure I had a coherent conversation with him and he was kind enough to get his picture taken with me too. I love that his tie has Mickey's on it.
IMG_2302.JPG

It was time to head to the Pirates panel now. By the time we got there there, which was really steps away, the doors were open and people were going in. We had our Stage Pass in our hand but no one collected them and once we walked in the room we saw it was an arena (three levels of seating, scoreboard on the wall, plenty of seats). So Stage Pass unneeded and time was wasted in line. But I was flying high after my Imagineer encounters and I thought that if we hadn't stood in that Stage Pass line we wouldn't have seen that parade and I might not have met the some Imagineers, it all worked out for the best.
IMG_2304.JPG

Since we had never been to D23 before we really didn't know what to expect out of a panel, and with this Pirates panel we had no idea who was going to be presenting They did ask that people not take pictures or video. I ended up taking just a couple at the start, but for the meat of the presentation I just sat back and enjoyed the panel. I did notice people in the audiance taking pictures and video throughout the presentation, but generally being a rule follower I mostly refrained. I do see that the whole panel is up on YouTube, if you are interested it was a great panel and worth a watch.

The moderator of the panel, I'm blanking out on his name right now.
IMG_4559.JPG

Soon we were introduced to the rest of the panel. Remember how I was worried about Brad swooning over Mark Hamill. Well I was already riding high after encounters with Bob Gurr and Tom Nabbe, but now....I was able so see Tony Baxter, Orlando Ferrante, and Marty Sklar! (Sorry for the blur, remember I was trying to follow the rules.)
IMG_2305.JPG

Also on the panel was Kim Irvine (Imagineer & daughter of legendary Leota Toombs Thomas), Luc Mayrand (did stuff on DLP's Pirates) Nancy Seruto (worked on Shanghai's Pirates).
IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

Like I said it was a very interesting panel and it was so cool to hear stories about the development of Pirates of the Caribbean from people how either worked personally on it or knew/worked with people how did. I also found it interesting to hear how the newer parks have taken the Pirates of the Caribbean in new directions. There was a point when the removal of the Redhead/Auction scene came up and some people booed. I like the scene and I am disappointed to see it removed but I can understand why it is but I was not among the people booing in the audience. What I liked though was Marty Sklar's response to the boos and how he pointed out that from day one of Disneyland Walt was always changing things and looking for ways to make things better, it was not meant to be stagnant, it helped me accept (not necessarily like) the change.

After the Pirates panel there were two interesting panels left for the day, both at the same time. One was called Melodies in Walt’s Time: The Music of Disney Live-Action Films , and the other was Park Stars by the Walt Disney Archives. Brad really didn't care which one. So the choice was mine and I picked Park Stars. We headed up to the Walt Disney Archives Stage, and there was a session already going so we got in the standby line for Park Stars. There were a few people waiting we were probably the 20th people there and the wait was an hour, but that was fine I still needed time to digest what I had seen in the last couple of hours anyway. The wait was fine and we ended up chatting with people around us. Then it was time to head to the panel When they started having us standbyers enter they told us that the room was almost at capacity and most people who were in standby would not get in. Again we were thankful we had entered the stand by line early. And sure enough when we entered the room there weren't many spots left. The Archives stage was in a large room but only sat a couple hundred people. We should have gotten our stage pass for this!

The panel was fun though. It basically was a celebration of Parks characters and the Imagineers presenting had some funny stories and memories to share. The guy presenting was around my age and had a lot of WDW experiences as a kid, it was almost like he and I had travelled together as a kid. The presentation also had a lot of Epcot characters so that made me happy. Some of the characters were discussed were Dreamfinder, Orange Bird, Country Bears, but others like the "people" Spaceship Earth & Horizons, the Carousel of Progress family, and Figment. I especially enjoyed the video clips of Dreamfinder and Horizons. I didn't know what the photo policy was so I just took a picture of the screen when we entered and enjoyed the show.

The panel was supposed to start at 6pm and didn't end up starting until close to 6:20 pm. I got a little worried, I hoped they wouldn't cut it short (they didn't) but the panel was supposed to be an hour and we had a Steakhouse 55 reservation at the Disneyland Hotel at 7:20pm. Which if the panel got done at 7pm like it was supposed we would have plenty of time to walk to the Disneyland Hotel, check our bags, and change into a nice shirt for dinner. Well, I guess we wouldn't be making our reservation on time, but we would try to see if they would seat us anyway.

IMG_2310.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We ended up getting to the Disneyland Hotel around 7:40-7:45 and went right to Steakhouse 55. Hubs checked us in and explained that our panel at the Expo had run late, which was believeble because we still had our Expo lanyards on and probably looked a little harried. The cast member said that was fine and they were running behind as well. We sat in the lounge and thought about getting a drink or snack but we though them running late would be like 15 minutes and we didn't want to fill up on other stuff. Well, we finally got a table at 8:20pm. I guess we should have changed our shirt but we saw other people in park/expo gear too, but we definitely should have gone to bell services and checked our shopping bags and back packs, I felt a little like a sherpa walking through the restaurant. Oh well, that didn't impact our service at all which was great!

We were both excited for real food. We basically had only eaten Pringles, Kind bars, and Slim Jims with its "cheese" stick today.
IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

Brad got a sea and land tartare for a starter. Beef on one and tuna on the other. He loved it.
IMG_2315.JPG

I got the french onion soup. I love french onion soup and make a really good version at home, but I'm always nervous about it at restaurants, sometimes the onions are too hard or there isn't a lot of flavor in the broth. But both times I've had Steakhouse 55's soup it is fantastic! And look at that cheese!
IMG_2316.JPG

Yummy sourdough bread, which I was able to "freely" enjoy a piece somewhat guilt free because my blood sugar had dropped pretty low while waiting to be seated and I needed the carbs/sugar.
IMG_2317.JPG

Hubs got the Kansas City steak, he wanted to compare it to the Kansas City he gets at the Yachtsman in WDW.
IMG_2319.JPG

He also got the seasonal risotto, which was a duck confit one. This was really the only disappointment of the meal, it really didn't have a lot of flavor and he didn't eat much and didn't even want it boxed up to bring back to the hotel.
IMG_2321.JPG

I got the ribeye, it is my favorite cut. I'm not so much into the bone in it, but whatever. It was perfect.
IMG_2318.JPG

To me the steak was secondary, I was really there for the truffle mac and cheese. I first had truffle mac and cheese at this restaurant and fell in love. I really dislike mushrooms but for some reason I gave it a whirl the first time we ate here and black truffles are not like any mushroom I have ever had. Leave it to me to like one of the most expensive mushrooms. So whenever I can get truffle mac and cheese I get it. The Yachtsman has excellent truffle mac and cheese too. And sorry Steakhouse 55, the Yachtsman does their truffle mac and cheese a little better. Don't get me wrong, both are fantastic but we both agreed that between the two restaurants Yachtsman has the slight edge even with the steaks.
IMG_2322.JPG

Since we got appetizers, bread, steaks, and sides we were too full to order dessert. Which is sad because the 24 layer chocolate cake is really good here. But with the early morning, all the excitement of the day, and now a real meal (and an excellent one) we were ready to roll back to the hotel.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So we headed out to Downtown Disney, going through there was the shortest route to our hotel on Harbor Blvd. On the way we had a great idea....we would be passing the Earl of Sandwich so Brad went and got us sandwiches for tomorrow at the Expo so we wouldn't have to stand in line for real food at the Expo. Plus Earl of Sandwich is great. He got us ham and cheese and the Italian, on for breakfast and one for lunch. While he did that I went to the Kayla's Cakes kiosk and bought macarons, those are fantastic and I like to buy some while we are there and this was the perfect opportunity to buy them since we were just headed to the hotel anyway.

I had a little wait for Brad and saw some of the fireworks going on at Disneyland. But that also meant we had to exit the area with all the fireworks people. Once we got back to the hotel we got our bags ready for day two of the Expo. We would be waking up a little earlier today because we did not want to get stuck outside again.

A little of Downtown Disney while I waited.
IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

Up next: Day 2 of D23 Expo

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
D23 Expo Day 2!

Saturday was the first day to sell out of the Expo, so we knew that if it would be crazy today would be the day. We stuck to our plan of no large panels, especially when we heard about the snafu that happened yesterday. Short recap of the snafu as we understand it since we weren't present....When the Legends panel got done, the exiting crowd got turned around or something leading people that were supposed to exit the Legends panel back into the hall and LOTS of people waiting for the animation panel that should have gotten in to the Animation panel were not so they were given a wrist band to attend either the Live Action or Parks and Resorts on Saturday.

I will say we really thought about going to Parks and Resorts, like many times we thought about trying, but in the end we knew it was going to be live-streamed and there were live tweets going out with every announcement.

Anyway, we were up a little before 4am and at the Convention Center a little before 5am. We expected to be put into the basement Hall E waiting area but that was already full so we were directed to the second floor waiting area. As waiting areas go it is heaven, it was indoors, by a window which allowed us exposure to natural light to set our internal clocks and keep us a little warmer (the AC was cranked in here), it had carpet, and two sets of bathrooms were very close by.

As we got onto the escalator the guy next to us turned around and said good morning and it was great to see us again. It turned out to be the one of the guys next to us while we waited outside yesterday, and part of the group we originally followed to the convention center yesterday! I guess they didn't want to be left outside either. Once on the second floor there were three areas to choose to wait, one that would be lead into the area for the first big panel (Live Action) and the other two for the show floor. Of the other two show floor areas they would be let in at different ends of the show floor we chose to wait in the one that would be let into the middle part of the show floor. The first row of waiting space was filled and we were in the middle of the second and we were okay with that. So we had from now about 5am to 9am to wait. It may seem crazy but I would rather show up early and wait having passed through security than show up later and wait in the hot sun outside.

So here are some pictures of waiting time...
A photo of the banner upon entering the building today.
IMG_4562.JPG

A couple scenes of the second floor waiting area.
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG

D23EXPO2017 061.JPG

Me within the taped waiting row lines. We spent our time waiting by talking to people around us, eating our ham and cheese Earl of Sandwich sandwich, napping, and I started my second 25 cent book from the library. And I'm wrapped up in a travel blanket, this little guy was extremely handy today and the next. As I said it was freezing at times, especially when just sitting and waiting. Honestly if it had started to snow inside it wouldn't have surprised me one bit. But I guess it was better to be too cold than hot.
D23EXPO2017 063.JPG

Brad played on his phone sometimes too. My phone was dying and the batter charge was going kaput fast so I tended to save my battery power. The ladies behind Brad (which were actually ahead of us in line) were fun to talk to. They live in the Orlando area and the younger one is a cast member at WDW. It was their first time at Disneyland (they were going when the Expo was done) so we spent some time talking about it. I wish I knew how to contact them, because I would like to know what they thought about Disneyland.

Most of the time while we waited inside there wasn't anyone in the third waiting line in front of us so we had plenty of space. I would have liked the wall to lean up on though like the ladies behind us. The chair in the picture might be a purchase we make for 2019.
IMG_2333.JPG

So as it got lighter we went to the window to see what the crowd situation looked like outside. YIKES!! People as far as the eye could see. I was very glad to be in the Arctic inside.
IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
As we were waiting event workers would often go through and ask if people were waiting for the show floor or Live Action just to make sure people were in the right place. I thought that was a good idea and when then closer to opening they started announcing that people could head up to the 3rd floor if they were planning on going to the Power of the Princess panel. We had thought about going to that panel. I will say that there were so many interesting panels offered at the Expo. The quality of the panels was very high too, and because there were so many I wanted to see it made it difficult to choose especially when some were offered at the same time. When we came home I was able to watch many of them I had to miss on Youtube, so thanks youtubers!

Anyway shortly before 9am we started moving and soon were on the show floor. Brad wanted to go to the Dream Store so he could get a D23 Expo shirt and I wanted some pins and I was curious about the Epcot shirt. But there was a 10 am panel we wanted to get to as well so we had to bee line for the Dream Store. Once we got there we were able to walk right in and in the end we only spent 10 minutes shopping and a couple minutes for check out. And all of our purchases fit easily into our backpack this time!

Here is a blurry picture of the Dream Store once we exited. You can kind of tell it is now busy and line has formed.
IMG_2339.JPG

Some of the merch. I ended up buying an ornament with the Epcot design.
IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

We also saw where the Lion King VR experience was, but we never took a chance to go to it. Which is fine we have both seen the Broadway version before. In fact I saw it in Minneapolis during test performances before it started on Broadway.
IMG_2335.JPG

So after shopping we headed back up to the second floor to the Walt Disney Archives stage for the Marc Davis panel. To be honest I probably could have spent each day of the Expo going to panels at this stage and been perfectly happy. I love all the Disney history stuff and my dream job would be to work at the Disney Archives so it was right up my alley.
IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

A look at the part of the room. We could have sat closer, but hubby thought this was a good spot. The spot where we sat yesterday that had no one in front of us because it was on the main aisle was open and I thought that would be a better spot but I let hubs pick the spot. Turns out he wished he had listened to me. Right before the panel began I saw a guy right behind us with a baby. The baby was sleeping but I wasn't sure it would stay that way, but it was too late to move all the chairs were taken. And towards the end of the panel the baby woke up and started to fuss. Not very loud at first but it got louder and it was fairly disruptive. It made it difficult to hear the last 10 minutes or so of the presentation. People around us, including us turned around a couple times but the guy didn't do much to soothe the baby. Now I know it isn't the baby's fault at all and baby's fuss but we really thought that as the baby grew louder that it was common courtesy to take the baby to the back of the room or leave the room. I get that the dad probably wanted to see the presentation, but when the baby is in his face being loud how much did he really hear either?
IMG_2341.JPG

D23EXPO2017 064.JPG

Pete Docter was one of the panelists.
IMG_2351.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Like I mentioned the panel was about Marc Davis and the men presenting the panel had been able to meet Marc Davis quite a bit before he passed and obviously worked for Disney. They have been working on a book about Marc Davis and his time at WED and that was the focus of the panel. The panel was fantastic. I enjoy Marc Davis' artwork, work, and humor so I was pretty pumped about this information. The book sounds fabulous, but the downer was they said it probably wouldn't be released until 2019!!

I took a few pictures during the panel.
IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

Unused concept art for Jungle Cruise
IMG_2355.JPG

A ghost that never made it to the Haunted Mansion
IMG_2358.JPG

Thunder Mesa concept art
IMG_2364.JPG

At the end of the panel
IMG_2367.JPG

After the Marc Davis panel we again played with the idea of going to wait in line for Parks and Resorts panel but we heard the line was packed and possibly full so we decided to stick with our original plan of wandering around the show floor and seeing things there.
IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

Center Stage had a lot of things happening throughout the day. We probably would have been fairly happy hanging out here most of the day too.
IMG_2370.JPG

And we went through the Disney Voluntears booth and by going through the line we helped pack a goodie bag that is sent to children's hospitals. I don't mind helping with that at all. Plus we got a cool sticker and a Voluntears bag for helping.
IMG_4571.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A view of the set of of the Voluntears assembly line.
D23EXPO2017 067.JPG

We looked around at the Marvel stuff. Except for Guardians and AntMan I haven't watched any Marvel stuff so I don't get to thrilled about it. I do enjoy Guardians a lot though. So I really took pictures for Brad.
D23EXPO2017 069.JPG

D23EXPO2017 072.JPG

Except for this, this was for me.:joyfull:
IMG_2382.JPG

Then we waited in line for a Disney animator to draw a character of our choice for us. Each animator had specific characters they specialize in but neither of us cared which animator we got. Some people in line were waiting for certain animators so from time to time certain ones would be free and people like us that didn't care would go to that one. Once we got closer as not to skip in front of anyone we got our pictures. Both of us ended up having the same animator. I got Mickey and Brad got Goofy. The animator was really nice and he and I chatted about Marc Davis and the panel I'd seen and he and Brad talked more about what being an animator is like.

My Mickey being drawn.
IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

D23EXPO2017 073.JPG

While I was waiting for Brad, a little session started at the Oh My Disney Stage. It was an interview with Pam Brandon, who writes the Disney cookbooks. I was hoping there would be a give away of one of her books, there is one I don't have and want. There wasn't much of a crowd, like me and 3 other people so I thought my chances were high. Sadly there was no give away.
IMG_2399.JPG

We checked out the Duck Tales Money Pit. I loved Duck Tales as a kid, I was probably at the age when it came out that was maybe a year or two older than what they were shooting for but it was a can't miss show for me. That and Rescue Rangers. And when I only got 4 tv channels as a kid, beggars couldn't be choosers. So anyway, when it was announced that Duck Tales was coming back, it was a happy day! I have watched the first episode/movie and while the original is still the best (in my mind) this new one is pretty cool.

So as a Duck Tales girl, it was very tempting to jump into Scrooge's Money Pit. However, I am still me. I have a fear of falling and with the falling hurting myself, meaning jumping into something (balls, water, whatever) is not something that screams fun to me. I was the kid that took a long bathroom break at swim lessons when we had to practice jumping into the water.

Then all the people going in and out....ick. And it didn't seem easy to get in and out of. So I was a little relieved when the line was cut off for the day and all wristbands had been given out. Brad said we could try on Sunday and we did go over on Sunday but again the line had been cut off. And honestly I really don't regret not jumping. I do wish I could have got the Duck Tales patches that were given to jumpers though. I think hubs would have enjoyed it though, he doesn't have any of the fears I have.
IMG_2405.JPG

Figgy1

Premium Member
So after the parade we were re-energized and thinking that it was pretty great that we just happened to see the parade. What luck! How could it get better!?!?!
In the vendor area there was some fun stuff too look at including some more old Disney props thrown in. Like an original Space Mountain vehicle.
View attachment 226237

View attachment 226238

A photo op
View attachment 226239

There were some some podcasters, travel agencies with displays and authors that have written Disney themed books that had displays. Some of the books looked so interesting! And vendors of Disney memorabilia, including some vintage stuff. When I saw a lot of the vintage Disney stuff I was cursing the fact that we had only brought one suitcase each. There was a lot of stuff I wanted. I won't be making the one suitcase mistake in 2019! It was interesting to look at some of the vintage stuff because as a collector there were some things that I have at home, so I was particularly interested in how much they were selling some of that for.
View attachment 226240
An example of some of the vintage glasses. I have a few of these at home too. I probably should have gotten the orange bird glass.
View attachment 226241

Some Figment stuff. @figmentfan423 , I bet you would have been loving these.
View attachment 226242

View attachment 226243

View attachment 226244
A sea serpent from the Disneyland 20,000 Leagues attraction, and it still worked.
View attachment 226245
Thank you for sparing my wallet

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the great detailed insight on the D23 panels and all the photos!

What an amazing experience you had at D23! I really liked your photos--I've only seen photos of the panel presentations before, but you shared many other things going on, exhibits, meet and greets, FOOD :hungry:, etc. :happy:

Don't worry you two, I have more to share!

Thank you for sparing my wallet

I had restraint and my wallet was spared too!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
An example of some of the vintage glasses. I have a few of these at home too. I probably should have gotten the orange bird glass.
img_2290-jpg.226241

There were so many things I wanted to comment on yesterday from your thread, but I ran out of time. So here's a few. I love those glasses!! Were those sold in gift shops years ago? I can't recall seeing them, or may I just forgot about them, it's been so long. They're really cute and vintage!

As soon as we turned the corner I saw a man talking to some people and I saw the man in the middle was Bob Gurr! I was so excited I actually tugged on Brad's arm and fan girled out and said, "Brad, Brad, that's Bob Gurr!!!" Soon, like 5 seconds later, the people he was talking to left and in a move that is unusual for me (I'm generally shy and introverted) we went over and said hello. He was very nice and chatted with us for a bit. I really don't remember much of the conversation, he is such a legend I was in awe. At the end of our conversation with him Brad shook his hand and Bob refused to shake my hand. He said that ladies get hugs instead! So a conversation with Bob Gurr, a picture with Bob Gurr, and a hug from Bob Gurr! This is the best day ever!!!
img_2301-jpg.226249

How cool was this, that you got to meet him!! :jawdrop: :)

Then we waited in line for a Disney animator to draw a character of our choice for us. Each animator had specific characters they specialize in but neither of us cared which animator we got. Some people in line were waiting for certain animators so from time to time certain ones would be free and people like us that didn't care would go to that one. Once we got closer as not to skip in front of anyone we got our pictures. Both of us ended up having the same animator. I got Mickey and Brad got Goofy. The animator was really nice and he and I chatted about Marc Davis and the panel I'd seen and he and Brad talked more about what being an animator is like.

My Mickey being drawn.
img_4575-jpg.226321

I am so jealous!! I'd love to meet a Disney artist and watch him work his magic on paper. You were very fortunate to experience this!! :happy:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ha! My wallet would have been debt for quite a while. I don't know how you restrained yourself.

Limited space in the suitcase and I did not want to pay extra to have anything shipped. However, I probably should have bought an extra suitcase out there because mine broke on the way home and I need to get a new one now anyway.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
There were so many things I wanted to comment on yesterday from your thread, but I ran out of time. So here's a few. I love those glasses!! Were those sold in gift shops years ago? I can't recall seeing them, or may I just forgot about them, it's been so long. They're really cute and vintage!

How cool was this, that you got to meet him!! :jawdrop: :)

I am so jealous!! I'd love to meet a Disney artist and watch him work his magic on paper. You were very fortunate to experience this!! :happy:

Depends on the glass. Some were sold in the park. Some designs were given as promotions. Some of the glasses like the Pluto and Donald glass in the bottom of the pictures were given away as promotions in the late 30's -early 40's, some of the glassware had been given out with the milkman and some held sour cream or cottage cheese. Others were sold in dime stores. When my mom and I first started to collect vintage Disneyanna, back when I was in middle school so well over 25 years ago, we bought collector guides that had a lot of information about the early glassware. I have always been particularly interested in any of the vintage Disney glassware of any type because some of it is quite rare because it is so breakable. And people used the glassware so sometimes finding things in excellent condition can be quite rewarding. I have a couple planters (2 Donald and one Bambi) that I found super cheap at a sale and in superb condition, and all are from the 1940's. So how I restrained myself from buying some of this stuff I really don't know!

It was really cool to have a Disney artist draw stuff just for us, he did sign and personalize it for us too. I have been meaning to frame them up since we came back but I haven't made it to a store that has decent frames yet (nor have I measured them). Mostly because by the end of the summer the budget runs a little low, so I need to get my September check again before I go shopping for fun stuff again.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few more things from wandering around the show floor.
IMG_2409.JPG

Disneyland railroad car
IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

Star Wars snow speeder signed by cast members
IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

Paige O'Hara signing some of her Belle art work in the art area. If I was a bigger fan of Belle and Beauty and the Beast this would have been a must do. But it was still cool seeing the voice of Belle. I tried to get close enough so I could hear her talk, so I could hear Belle, but it was fairly loud in that area so I wasn't able to hear her. I did see that she spend a decent amount of time talking to the people that were buying her stuff while she was signing. I thought that was nice for people who are her fans.
IMG_2434.JPG

Some Jungle Cruisers
IMG_2435.JPG

Buzz art work
IMG_2437.JPG

Then there was a competition for art based on the Pirates theme, to compliment the Archives Pirates display. There was a lot of cool stuff.
This one was a model of the facade of the Pirates attraction from every park that had the attraction.
IMG_2440.JPG

Maybe this is how the new Redhead scene should be?
IMG_2450.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Some more of the Pirate art.
IMG_2445.JPG

I think this was the winner but I can't remember.
IMG_2446.JPG

A quilt
IMG_2448.JPG

Just a look at the show floor. An interesting fact on the show floor that I heard on a podcast after, I don't know if it is true or not...but they said that Disney is the only major convention in this space that ever pays for the carpet to be laid down all over the show floor because it makes it more of a comfort for guests. If that is true, thanks Disney & D23!
IMG_2449.JPG

Then we played Fix it Felix. The game was surprisingly difficult!
IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Everyone is of course free to read this post and part of the next one but I'm mainly posting these for @MinnieM123 . I thought about you while I took all of these. I have pictures of the descriptions of the outfits too so if you want me to post those for you to read I can. I just went with posting the outfits today.

So the next exhibit we went to was a display of Minnie Mouse fashions and the Minnie van made by Honda. The fashions had been used by Ms. Mouse in various parks and other events.
IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

Shanghai outfit
IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was fun to look at the detail on the outfits. They were works of art themselves. At the end of the line that went through the fashions we got a pin that looked like the Minnievan and then we got our picture taken with the van.
IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

Tokyo Sea one
IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

Outfit for Hong Kong
IMG_2488.JPG

The van. I loved that they had a sign that it wasn't really for driving on the road. Could you imagine driving down the road in this!?!
IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

8f25fe97-cfe1-49a9-9d86-bfed6830c275.jpg

There were props you could wear with the car, that's why Brad is wearing mouse ears. I'm more of a stick in the mud and it creeps me out a little to wear things that hundreds of others have put on, so I did not.
D23EXPO2017 093.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We found some other fashions on the show floor nearby.
IMG_2471.JPG

Then there was a display of dresses used in some live action movies.
IMG_2472.JPG

Queen of Hearts
IMG_2491.JPG

Maleficent
IMG_2493.JPG

Cruella DeVille
IMG_2496.JPG

Giselle from Enchanted
IMG_2497.JPG

Belle. I had seen this at WDW in March, and it really is a lovely dress.
IMG_2499.JPG

And Cinderella
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG

Very pretty dresses but they don't have to worry about me wearing them. So teeny tiny, I guess the girls that wear these don't eat like I do!;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom