Alice in Wonderland updates

Figments Friend

I rode the updated version of 'Alice' last month and thought it was very well done.
I won't give away any 'spoilers' for those like me who purposely avoided them beforehand, but it is a excellent example of a refresh done RIGHT.

Really pleased with the interior updates, but not overly pleased with the changes that had to be made to the exterior elevated track.
Although designed better visually then what i was expecting, the wonderful 'about to fall off the edge' feeling that was once there is now gone.
I miss that...but over alll the refresh is great.

Looking forward to what may be in store for 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' and 'Snow White's Scary Adventures'.

mickEblu

Have you been on Monsters Inc. in Tokyo?!? The last time I was there it was still kinda new and I missed out on a Fastpass and couldn't bear the Standby wait when the rest of Tokyo Disneyland called my name.

Yes, the longest Disneyland Resort ride is Pirates at about 16 minutes (8 minutes longer than the WDW version). The longest WDW ride is Ellen's Energy Adventure at about 45 minutes (time for a potty break!).

The Disneyland Resort at its two parks has a total of 77 Attractions, 55 of which are rides; Disneyland Park has 46 Attractions with 34 of those being rides, and DCA has 31 Attractions with 21 of those being rides.

The Walt Disney World Resort at its four parks has a total of 85 Attractions, 46 of which are rides: Magic Kingdom Park has 34 Attractions, 25 of which are rides, Epcot has 23 Attractions, 8 of which are rides, DHS has 15 Attractions, 6 of which are rides, and DAK has 13 Attractions, 7 of which are rides.

Back on topic to the Alice In Wonderland dark ride at Disneyland, or @raven24 will kill me!...

The rumor from the Al Lutz/Miceage Updates for the last 12 months or so has been that all five of Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides will be getting Extreme Makeovers of sorts, introducing new animatronics and digital mapping effects and new lighting/audio and updated technology throughout the ride. The Miceage updates had been talking about new animatronics for Alice In Wonderland that used a "projected face", and that was months before the animatronics for the Dwarfs Mine Train at WDW had been revealed. It's now apparent that the SDMT debuted this new projected face animatronic technology first, while it's simultaneously being installed in the Alice In Wonderland dark ride, to be followed according to Miceage by a long closure this Fall of Peter Pan's Flight, then Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc.

We've all assumed the Queen of Hearts will have a new projected face. But maybe also the White Rabbit? Tweedle Dee and Dum? I look forward to finding out next month!

The newly updated dark rides would open in phases through the spring of 2015 after they each get a two to three month rehab, and then they would be hyped as part of the 60th Anniversary for Disneyland as the "NEW!" thing you should go see.

This latest Alice In Wonderland rehab from March to July is the first one to happen. For the record, Disney has yet to acknowledge this and it's simply been a juicy rumor scooped by Miceage Updates for over a year now. Interestingly, the Little Mermaid ride at DCA reopened last month after a long rehab with new lighting and lots of new additions throughout the ride, and Disney's Parks Blog or any Disney spokesman never mentioned it. They just quietly upgraded and changed the Mermaid ride, so they may not say a word when Alice opens either.

Alice In Wonderland officially reopens at Disneyland on Independence Day, July 4th. But I wonder if it might open a day or two early?

Here's another good pic from the new Dateline Disneyland on Miceage, showing the newly widened outdoor track. I hope this is worth all this mess and fuss.
IMG_6860-L.jpg

That big Ficus tree was planted during the last major Alice In Wonderland makeover, in 1983-84. It's grown to massive proportions now, but Ficus trees just love the SoCal climate and it still looks very healthy. A big change from the treeless version of this ride in the 1950's and 60's!
alice6-58.jpg

Well hey TP! I was at Disneyland yesterday admiring the huge tree outside of Alice in Wonderland and wanted to know what kind of tree it was. So I decided to google "what type of tree is outside Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland" and guess whose post comes up?Lol.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear it's a ficus tree (although I know there are many different types). I planted 40 of them (4 footers) in my backyard over a year and half ago and most of them are already between 7 and 9 feet tall. I was shocked to read that they planted the one at Disneyland in 1984 considering how huge it is.

On another note, are they still doing the horticulture tours at DL?

DLR92

Lol. I wanted my very own "wall of trees." I dont think they re the same as the type outside Alice though. They're the kind you plant to create a hedge.

If you don't maintain them, they will gladly grow as a tree. :p
Your very lucky to grow them. They will have a hard time in my desert climate. Too hot and low moisture and extremely cold winters. :arghh:

mickEblu

If you don't maintain them, they will gladly grow as a tree. :p
Your very lucky to grow them. They will have a hard time in my desert climate. Too hot and low moisture and extremely cold winters. :arghh:

Hahah right they will. With that said, the ones in my backyard looks like a different species(?)

Yeah they grow really well here and don't even need that much water.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

For some reason, I was thinking about this ride the other day and I was baffled as to why they haven't enclosed the outdoor portion. Then it could always be open instead of closing it when it rains and they wouldn't have to worry about people falling off the track and turn it into a big platform. It would also be less awkward to be zig-zagging in the outdoor portion in a silly caterpillar car while everyone looked at you. They could theme that part to be another scene or two instead of having the scene be that you escaped to Disneyland's Fantasyland before arriving at the tea party inside a door. Knowing modern Disney, it would probably be like the King Kong 360 scene.

Brer Oswald

For some reason, I was thinking about this ride the other day and I was baffled as to why they haven't enclosed the outdoor portion. Then it could always be open instead of closing it when it rains and they wouldn't have to worry about people falling off the track and turn it into a big platform. It would also be less awkward to be zig-zagging in the outdoor portion in a silly caterpillar car while everyone looked at you. They could theme that part to be another scene or two instead of having the scene be that you escaped to Disneyland's Fantasyland before arriving at the tea party inside a door. Knowing modern Disney, it would probably be like the King Kong 360 scene.
The outdoor portion is part of the charm. Yeah it would be nice to have an extra scene, but the outdoor section is one of the reasons Alice stands out among the other dark rides!

mickEblu

Nah. It's too unique. Besides it would probably take away from the outside charm when standing in line.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's not charming since they turned it into a giant platform. The only outdoor portion that remains charming is where the vehicles first enter the rabbit hole immediately next to the walkway. The outdoor portion is extremely ugly now. Even as a ride experience, it's terrible. It's just an awkward slow zig-zag ride on a solid platform.

mickEblu

It's not charming since they turned it into a giant platform. The only outdoor portion that remains charming is where the vehicles first enter the rabbit hole immediately next to the walkway. The outdoor portion is extremely ugly now. Even as a ride experience, it's terrible. It's just an awkward slow zig-zag ride on a solid platform.

It's charming because I said so. The landscaping and giant pastel colored leaves? The ginormous tree that you can touch as you wind down the outdoor track? Cmon.

George Lucas on a Bench

I do sometimes have dreams about these rides. Something about the Fantasyland dark rides lends themselves to bizarre almost nightmarish surreal David Lynch dreams. One I frequently have is that I'm in the Magic Kingdom version of the Snow White ride with the wishing well scene and the painting of a guy in the woods telling you to go back.

Brer Oswald

I do sometimes have dreams about these rides. Something about the Fantasyland dark rides lends themselves to bizarre almost nightmarish surreal David Lynch dreams. One I frequently have is that I'm in the Magic Kingdom version of the Snow White ride with the wishing well scene and the painting of a guy in the woods telling you to go back.
I understand. I have the same types of dreams, although sometimes I'm in Splash Mountain, or Small World (generally when I'm in Small World, it's a nightmare).

Brer Oswald

Weirdly, I dream about the revised version of the Snow White ride and not the original horrifying version. What does that mean?
I don't know. I try not to make sense of my dreams. The other night I dreamt I was in Disneyland's Splash Mountain, and the set design was based on a farm similar to Living With the Land, rather than the Briar Patch. Doesn't make any sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom