Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

No Name

The ride is weird. Why, as we look at old structures, do we see videos of modern buildings and tourists? The physical and video aspects of the ride are completely disjointed. I understand the desire to provide more for ADHD people to enjoy, but that can be accomplished with while keeping it cohesive.

I see room for improvement to say the very least.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 123

ppete1975

I honestly don't think it would take much... many of the scenes look straight out of coco, of course the screens would need new video but this could be done super cheap... id be sad to see Donald go... the classic Disney characters are really underused in all 4 parks

RSoxNo1

Just dug through some material. Assuming everything is prefect the ride system was designed for a max of 2400 an hour. But as we know everything is hardly ever perfect (though load/unload are split)
That's a bit aggressive, but I suppose it's a similar setup to Frozen Ever After with bigger boats.

Frozen is 4 rows that seat 2-3, Gran Fiesta Tour is 5 rows that seat 3-4.

cheezbat

I don't believe it's the Pixar version of the Book of Life, while admitedly it shares certain similarities, they are completely different movies. Just because both of them are about The Day of the Dead, it doesn't mean they have to be seen as competence or ripoffs or "Pixar Version", they can perfectly coexist. Honestly, as a Mexican, I appreciate the representation my culture is getting. Maybe you should open your mind a little ;)
If it was a live action movie or something sure. Instead it's another kid film about the Day of he Dead. It's just like A Bugs Life and Antz...or Toy Story and Small Soliders. Never a good idea to be the second one making a movie based off a similar idea. They will always look like copycats.

HMF

The ride is weird. Why, as we look at old structures, do we see videos of modern buildings and tourists? The physical and video aspects of the ride are completely disjointed. I understand the desire to provide more for ADHD people to enjoy, but that can be accomplished with while keeping it cohesive.

I see room for improvement to say the very least.
That is one of the problems with the fact that they discarded the three cultures narrative for Gran Fiesta. In the first scene in particular the sets are clearly still designed to blend in with the original Ancient Culture scene from El Rio. Throwing Donald and images of modern Mexico do not blend with the set at all. for example.
14674393629_4869cf0f5a.jpg

Donald-Duck-Gran-Fiesta-Tour-Epcot-Attraction.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyFan18

If it was a live action movie or something sure. Instead it's another kid film about the Day of he Dead. It's just like A Bugs Life and Antz...or Toy Story and Small Soliders. Never a good idea to be the second one making a movie based off a similar idea. They will always look like copycats.

Actually Batman vs. Superman and Captain America: Civil War, faced the exact same dilema. Many people said that Captain America was a copycat (so I don't think being a life action movie saves from that criticism), and yet it was both a Rotten Tomatoes and Box Office succes...

Please tell me it's not a switch of the video screens from Caballero's to Coco with 1 animatronic. This film could really up the attraction.

So it is a little bit tricky, Martin said that it is a big overlay and that it's budget is not a small one. However, we should expect something between the lines of El Rio to Gran Fiesta, and not Maelstrom to Frozen, so they are definitely not gutting it down. I guess we will get the videos switched, and maybe some of the physical sets changed. FWIW, I do agree that it could up the attraction.
Unless @marni1971 , or any other insider can tell us more details, I guess we will have to wait and see :(

Last edited:

alias8703

That is one of the problems with the fact that they discarded the three cultures narrative for Gran Fiesta. In the first scene in particular the sets are clearly still designed to blend in with the original Ancient Culture scene from El Rio. Throwing Donald and images of modern Mexico do not blend with the set at all. for example.
14674393629_4869cf0f5a.jpg

Donald-Duck-Gran-Fiesta-Tour-Epcot-Attraction.jpg

Woof that is some ugly "blending" wow. This certainly does need an update!

RSoxNo1

Actually Batman vs. Superman and Captain America: Civil War, faced the exact same dilema. Many people said that Captain America was a copycat (so I don't think being a life action movie saves from that criticism), and yet it was both a Rotten Tomatoes and Box Office succes...

So it is a little bit tricky, Martin said that it is a big overlay and that it's budget is not a small one. However, we should expect something between the lines of El Rio to Gran Fiesta, and not Maelstrom to Frozen, so they are definitely not gutting it down. I guess we will get the videos switched, and maybe some of the physical sets changed. FWIW, I do agree that it could up the attraction.
Unless @marni1971 , or any other insider can tell us more details, I guess we will have to wait and see :(
Quality wins out.

Biff215

WDWThemeParks.com has a collection of useful tools including fan created blueprints of attractions. Ed Film created this image that shows the size of the shops compared to the relative queue. I could see both shops being taken out for queue space if necessary.

r-1410141099-MexicoPavilion1.jpg
Looks like you could at least double the queue using those shops, but that's still not holding that many people. I think they have to be very careful in how they retheme this attraction due to this, unless they simply don't care about ruining the entire pavilion with a line that snakes all the way outside.

Biff215

I was at La Gran Fiesta today and they had extra switchbacking with make-shift ropes as drawn below. The queue moved very quickly, and it seemed the ride itself moved quickly with less time to look at each scene...but that could be subjectively inaccurate.

View attachment 226197
Must be the Food & Wine effect as we walked right on about a week ago in the evening. I've seen those temporary switchbacks in use before, but only once or twice. Could you imagine any more of those in there? It's a shame the space isn't set up better, I just fear any changes will have an adverse effect on the pavilion itself.

DisneyFan18

The transition would be more than Rio -> Gran Fiesta, but still, some scenes will be near identical with different video, while I know of at least one that would change the physical set.

That sounds great, thanks for the info. Would you say that the videos will match their sorroundings so that they don't look awkwardly placed like some videos in Gran Fiesta Tour? :)

disneyC97

I was at La Gran Fiesta today and they had extra switchbacking with make-shift ropes as drawn below. The queue moved very quickly, and it seemed the ride itself moved quickly with less time to look at each scene...but that could be subjectively inaccurate.

View attachment 226197
The line snaked out of the pavilion in the early days of EPCOT. I'd rather see that temporarily than the shop spaces removed.

HMF

The transition would be more than Rio -> Gran Fiesta, but still, some scenes will be near identical with different video, while I know of at least one that would change the physical set.
It wouldn't be the "It's a third world" scene would it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom