Let's save Innoventions! (Upcoming project announcement and planning thread.)

Do you think you believe in this idea and want to help?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
Please note, this is a planning thread and is under construction! There are some mistakes I will get around to fixing them soon! This is for announcing my idea and to give people a general idea. The final project will be neater and better explained! Thank you.

Ok, so we pretty much all know that Innoventions is on it's last leg. There are only two exhibits and the whole place is just sad. For the longest time, I didn't even know Innoventions was a thing! (I went into the building for maybe one minute, only saw construction stuff and blockades on the sides of the hallways and just assumed it was supposed to be closed! ) However, I had been doing some Disney researching and I found out about what a great attraction it used to be.

Here's my idea: I would like to start a petition to save Innoventions, but not JUST a petition, but also an email showcasing a huge group idea to help fix Innoventions.

What I'm doing:

I want to show Disney that Innoventions DOES have potential! I think they have just given up on it because they don't know how to make it interesting for people and how to keep it relevant. I have several ideas on what they could do to make it fun for all ages and how to make it a bit more lasting. However, I will need help finding some good diagrams of both sides of Innoventions. (I found one but any other ones would help me make it look more professional.) I am working on my concept idea right now, and I will post them once they are completed. Any and all critiques and suggestions will be more than welcome.

What you can do:
This is meant to show people that lot's of people really care about the current state of not just Innoventions, but Epcot as a whole! I think if Disney sees just how many people care, they might just make a change a listen to us! I want YOUR ideas! Anything realating to Future World is fair game.

The whole reason why I think having both a petition and a short letter with all of our suggestions is a good idea is because not only does it show we care, but it shows what we WANT to see and the potential it has! Hopefully, if there is any interest in this, we will be able to start soon. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT IDEAS RIGHT NOW, IT IS STILL IN THE PLANNING PHASE. Thank you.

We can do this!;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am a big fan of innoventions, it is one of my favorite epcot pavilions of all time, but it's time for it to go. And besides if rumors are true, the new small buildings in the upcoming future world are popular innoventions spaces reborn.
One of the plans has no replacements save for shopping and fast food.

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
I am a big fan of innoventions, it is one of my favorite epcot pavilions of all time, but it's time for it to go. And besides if rumors are true, the new small buildings in the upcoming future world are popular innoventions spaces reborn.

In response to you both, I heard that they might indeed just put more shops there. I'm not sure if I phrased my original post correctly or not, but I DO want the pavilion reborn. I am currently working on a design and very detailed desc. of a remodeled version of Innoventions. The whole point of this is to tell Disney how it could be interesting and that people want to see a FIXED Innoventions.

TwilightZone

A little disappointing, but hey if they reuse props then maybe dreamfinder's ship can live on if Disney ultimately decides to make the next imagination just figment.
In response to you both, I heard that they might indeed just put more shops there. I'm not sure if I phrased my original post correctly or not, but I DO want the pavilion reborn. I am currently working on a design and very detailed desc. of a remodeled version of Innoventions. The whole point of this is to tell Disney how it could be interesting and that people want to see a FIXED Innoventions.
It's a good goal, but ultimately one that will never happen. Disney wants to kill of any sponsors they have so they can 100% control. Which isn't a bad thing. We can finally have a less meh themed test track!

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
Nice idea, but his sort of thing hasn't saved the countless other great attractions Disney has ripped out.

A little disappointing, but hey if they reuse props then maybe dreamfinder's ship can live on if Disney ultimately decides to make the next imagination just figment.

It's a good goal, but ultimately one that will never happen. Disney wants to kill of any sponsors they have so they can 100% control. Which isn't a bad thing. We can finally have a less meh themed test track!

Ok so, I'm not quite sure how to say this, but...

I'm looking for people to help me with this and share ideas. So, if you are going to say "it's never going to work", that's not very helpful and is opposite of the whole point. Please don't take this the wrong way! I do want constructive criticism on my idea once I finish them! It's just that I'm just a kid who wants to save something I think is cool, and could be good if an effort was put into it. All I really want is people who have ideas, even small ones. Even if Disney never even READS the finished email and our suggestions, It's still fun to put out creative ideas together.

Side note: All of what I have in mind is really hard to explain in a short manner, but I will say that I don't want Disney to simply just put more random exhibits there just to fill Innoventions, I want to make it a more major attraction that people look forward to each visit to Epcot. Which means: NO MORE SPONSORED STUFF! (maybe one sponsor for the whole attraction but that's it.)

spacemt354

Chili's

I'm looking for people to help me with this and share ideas. So, if you are going to say "it's never going to work", that's not very helpful and is opposite of the whole point. Please don't take this the wrong way! I do want constructive criticism on my idea once I finish them! It's just that I'm just a kid who wants to save something I think is cool, and could be good if an effort was put into it. All I really want is people who have ideas, even small ones. Even if Disney never even READS the finished email and our suggestions, It's still fun to put out creative ideas together.

Side note: All of what I have in mind is really hard to explain in a short manner, but I will say that I don't want Disney to simply just put more random exhibits there just to fill Innoventions, I want to make it a more major attraction that people look forward to each visit to Epcot. Which means: NO MORE SPONSORED STUFF! (maybe one sponsor for the whole attraction but that's it.)
First off - welcome to the imagineer forum! If you have an idea for how to fix Innoventions, I think it would be more fun to just talk about it here and possible build up an actual proposal with people around the forum. I doubt Disney takes suggestions via e-mail so it might just be easier to submit your ideas here. :)

In a competition last year we transformed Innoventions into the New Horizons Pavilion - a bit of blue sky, but might be something you'd like.
Year Five: Imagineers and the Order of the Pavilion

Gryffindor presents...
gryffindor_flag_by_kooro_sama-d3ud5ym.jpg

New Horizons Pavilion

Epcot embodies a vision for an experimental prototype community of tomorrow. A vision that was never realized, however still the thematic core of the park to this day. Despite these notions, over the years, Future World in particular has devolved into a state of disarray. Of contrasting and disjointed irrelevancies that saturate the message of the themed land.

A vision of a community of the future and the progress of tomorrow, while apparent in some instances, lacks a central hub of relevance; an issue that can be directly correlated to the sparse and scanty current edition of Innoventions. The "showcase" of new technologies to help our greater global community seems to be the core (the CommuniCore) of the issues surrounding Future World. If Innoventions was truly a visceral environment that connected guests with the technology of today and the experiments of tomorrow, it would give Epcot a "hub" that connected all of its other Future World pavilions together to fit one cohesive narrative.

full

Ever since the early planning stages of Epcot, Innoventions (or formally known as CommuniCore) was the largest Epcot "pavilion" in terms of space occupation. It was the center of attention and the area where all guests had to walk to in order to traverse into the other areas of Future World and beyond.

Our vision for the central hub of Epcot seeks to capitalize on its prime location and plethora of acreage to create a living, breathing, hub of the theme park. A hub that truly embodies the original goals of Epcot, by having it be not only the proper hub of Future World, but of Epcot (a community) as well.

By incorporating inspirations from the original city design of Epcot, the New Horizons Pavilion will invite guests to journey into the future of Century 3 and beyond...into the living, global community that is represented at the end of the park's gateway attraction Spaceship Earth.

Planning and Design
Epcot_Full_24533.jpg

In order to accommodate such a pavilion, Innoventions East and West will be permanently closed and removed in sections. During the construction in the center of the park, guests will be able to access Future World East and West through wrap around entrances (by Journey into Imagination for Future World West and by The Odyssey Restaurant for Future World East)

Architecturally, there will be no more East and West Pavilions. Instead, there will be one, large domed pavilion with four separate levels of function.

The roof of the pavilion will be curved to a domed center point (55 feet above sea level) so as to not block the views of Spaceship Earth from the World Showcase Lagoon and other areas of the park. With the Fountain of Nations being removed, fountains will be placed on top of the roof (akin to the Swan and Dolphin fountains high above the ground of their hotels) and will go off periodically throughout the day.

The one thing that will be staying is the peaceful and futuristic Innoventions Background music (as played above) and will be the soundtrack of the pavilion.

There will be 4 entrance locations to the pavilion:

- Guests can enter via the Project Tomorrow post-show area of Spaceship Earth. Now when guests come off Spaceship Earth, it will feel as if they are entering into an actual "future" community hub. There will also be separate entrances connected to the side paths next to Spaceship Earth for guests skipping that attraction on their way into the park.

- An entrance connecting out onto World Showcase

- Two side entrances accessed from Future World East or West.

Inside the Pavilion when guests enter, they will be immersed in a large atrium will all sorts of activities to explore...

Main Concourse
27370098000_a5f9dd16ef_k.jpg

Upon entering, guests notice the color pallets and designs, accenting a futuristic flair, with light blues, grays, tans, and multi-colored additions, creating a lively center for Epcot.

The 1st floor of the New Horizons Pavilion acts as the park's "freeway" of transportation throughout Future World. Moving walkways expedite the process of traveling to and from the East and West sides of Future World. Furthermore, surrounding the center platform are several technological exhibits, a restaurant, shop, and meet&greet (more details later)

Riding the escalator (or elevator) to the 2nd floor and guests can browse through a second shopping area, a small cafe, as well as one of the crowing additions to Future World...the Peoplemover.

Ascending even higher into the domed atrium to the 3rd floor, and guests can board an Omnimover vehicle for a voyage into "The Final Frontier" - the story of how technological achievements over the years and years to come have created a global community of tomorrow, today.

1st Floor
20160614_144910_zps9lkdx5fp.jpg

If You Can Dream It Labs - presented by Apple
Approaching from the Spaceship Earth entrance to the pavilion on your left will be an interactive design laboratory which enables guests to create new technology that will be useful into the 21st century and beyond. Acting as a makeshift post-post show to the Spaceship Earth finale and Project Tomorrow, these laboratories will set guests up at specific design stations for a variety of technology of the 21st century. If you're interested in designing technology for outer space, you venture to the space port and with assist from design guides, follow the "story" on each design studio to help build technology for the future.

For instance, the space port story - a group of explorers are on the Moon and their communications are lost. You are given 3 options to see how you can restore the communication and you work together with friends and family to try and solve the mystery and get the communication back by creating new solutions to the problems. It's an interactive exhibit that actually requires critical thinking skills and deductive reasoning, making it a unique location in Epcot and something that embodies the edutainment values of the original theme park.

Digital Design
Adjacent to the If You Can Dream It Labs is a technological wonder in "Digital Design." You are guided into a room by a cast member who will introduce you to the digital world. You sit in a black lit theater as a screen illuminates in front of you and you watch a 15 minute film on the age of technology (specifically computers) and how they have impacted the digital world and the progress of tomorrow.

Club 82 - sponsored by Coca-Cola
Replacing Club Cool will be a re-imagined soft-drink stop from countries around the world. Utilizing the same space as Club Cool today, this new area will feature all forms of Beverly...just kidding...instead this new section will remove Beverly and replace it with flavors from Brazil, Spain, Iceland, New Zealand, and more. Even reinstating the Germany flavor that was removed a few years ago (the orange/coke flavor)

Perfect Park Acres
Replacing Mouse Gears will be an even more expansive gift area specializing in a variety of Epcot specific merchandise that you won't be able to find in any other merchandise location in Walt Disney World. These specific manufactures include 1982 exclusive merchandise from opening day including pins, shirts, and mor. In addition, several Project City gear as well as maps, concept art, and more are also sold at Perfect Park Acres

Perfect Park Acres so named for the green belt in the original Epcot Design. The latest in "hoverburb communities" - it is also a subtle nod at Tomorrowland at the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, which situates a Green Line Peoplemover out to Perfect Park Acres.

Tom Morrow Meet and Greet
Next to Perfect Park Acres is a unique Meet and Greet offering that contributes to the world building of Epcot and to the story as a whole. Tom Morrow (from Flight to the Moon in Tomorrowland ) will have a Meet and Greet location in the New Horizons Pavilion. Rather than continue the Epcot Character Spot of today and have classic Disney characters mesh with the futuristic tones and clash with the overarching theme, Tom Morrow will serve to enhance the story of the future, as an approachable, nostalgic Disney Meet and greet character. Tom Morrow merchandise will also be sold at Perfect Park Acres.

Epcot Retrospective
In the current iteration of Innoventions, Innoventions West has a D-zone location next to Club Cool that includes a small area chronically the history of the park. In this new pavilion, this notion will be expanded upon with actual physical sets and designs, acting as a walk-through "One Man's Dream" type location, but for Epcot history.

The story and history behind this park is abound and making that a central location of the park's "hub" pavilion will only enhance that story and contribute mightily to the overarching theme.

World Go 'Round Cafe
2016-06-13_01-48-16_zpsavt33h8p.jpg

As will traverse around the New Horizons Pavilion, we end on the right hand side as you enter from the Spaceship Earth entrance, and the quick service restaurant, World Go 'Round. This restaurant serves lunch and dinner and a sample menu is provided below:

World Go 'Round Cafe Sample Menu
(all entrees include choice of applesauce, fries, onion rings, or chips as a side)

Soups/Salads

Progress Salad - served on top of a blue cheese mix - $8.99
French Onion Soup - with cheddar cheese - $7.99

Entrees
Expo Burger - served with pepper jack cheese with house sauce - $12.99
Motion Burger -barbeque sauce and onions on cheddar cheese - $12.99
Energy Burger - served with swiss cheese and avocados - $11.99
Veggie Veggie Burger - veggie burger for gluten free/vegan diets - $12.99
World Fajitas - served with peppers, sour cream and guac - $10.99

Side Dishes
Pile of 50/50 Fries and Onion Rings - $5.99

For Children 3-9
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich - $4.99
Macaroni and Cheese - $5.99

Desserts
Carrot Cake - $4.99
Chocolate Cake - $4.99
Ice Cream Sundae - $6.99

Beverages
Soft Drinks - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta, Iced Tea, Apple Juice, Pink Lemonade - $2.50
Bottled Water - $2.50
Orange Juice - $1.99
Chocolate Milk/Low-Fat Milk - $1.99
Tea - $1.99
Coffee - $2.50

2nd Floor
20160614_145128_zpsqudo7tsa.jpg

The Epcot Peoplemover
13436188_1330304350317933_1749758850_n.jpg

(aerial view of the attraction)

The Peoplemover will be showcased on the second floor of the pavilion. While on board the Peoplemover, it will take guests around the second floor, showcasing what the pavilion has to offer. While riding, you'll have narration throughout the ride, and there will be information about the progress of transportation and how it was made over time. This is to educate guests about transportation and how it has affected the world and where we are now, compared to where we started in a relaxing, unique way. Where the Peoplemover is going to travel is through the second floor of the pavilion, going outside of the center, making a stop at the world showcase, while going back into the pavilion and going around mission space with a backstage dark tunnel with a show scene of Progress City, and coming back to the main concourse.

City Builders
Dueling as a post show for The Final Frontier as well as a stand-alone interactive location, City Builders allows its guests to sit at design stations and essentially build a city from the ground up. Starting in the current year and working your way up 100 years, you'll be able to create your own city using futuristic designs and your own customized layouts.

This type of creative exercise acts as a segue from the attraction itself as a post-show area because The Final Frontier is all about how technology has contributed to the future of our cities and the world as a whole.

Alpha Centauri
On the 2nd floor perched over the atrium and looking out onto Future World East, a table service restaurant will regale guests with an elegant dining experience in the center of Epcot. Serving lunch and dinner daily, this restaurant specializes in a style reminiscent of the now extinct Odyssey Restaurant across the way. Using the Odyssey as a special event stand now, this new restaurant will give Future World its second table service restaurant and bring about a stylized flair to it as well that blends in with the surrounding area.

Green Eyes - presented by Hess
Next to the Peoplemover and across from the table service restaurant is an exhibit entitled Green Eyes, a look into a greener tomorrow for the earth and our inhabitants. By cutting down on our cost of fossil fuels, and driving towards a more energy friendly future, we see the impact it can have on our society of the future. An impact that is seen in this quaint setting, displaying some of the ways that we are building towards a greener tomorrow thanks to Hess.

3rd Floor

The Final Frontier

As you ascent to the 3rd floor you can make your way to the queue for The Final Frontier, which winds around images and designs of cities over the years, beginning in the early times to the present day.

The queue chronicles the years leading up to the start of the attraction (which begins in the present day/ reachable future. Essentially the story of the ride elicits how we as a global community use technology and innovation to live together on this earth. Combining technology from all sorts of different fields, many of which are prevalent in Future World, some of which aren't, this attraction attempts to bridge the gap between the colliding Future World narratives, and bring them together in one cohesive message that we are on this earth together, and therefore we must innovate and create together for a better tomorrow, today.

Ride Layout
27496579592_dfea31b19d_k.jpg

Loading Area
As you board your Omnimover vehicles (using similar technology to Horizons) you hear Michael Caine's voice over narration of your journey as you begin to ascent into a dark tunnel (a subtle nod to Adventure Thru Inner Space at Disneyland)

Scene 1 - A New Renaissance
Narrator: The 21st century marks a new era in human innovation. A critical moment in time where we have the ability and responsibility to harmonize contemporary living for generations ahead of us. A segue into a connected world, one of innovation and achievement... a new horizon...

Scene 2/3 - City Bending/Building
27558964081_d6f89c380e_k.jpg

Music begins to swell and you enter a large show scene. With water below you and a city on the horizon as the sun sets. The city begins to evolve and grow before your eyes, using a new projection effect combined with animatronic that makes it looks like blocks are sculpting the buildings.

The buildings begin to bend around you as they grow, and continue shape-shifting as they peak the horizon and invert overhead for an amazing visual effect.

Narrator: As the world's population rises, a new dilemma rises for the inhabitants of our Spaceship Earth. A place to live. A place of peace. We must strive to co-exist and build a community of tomorrow that will encourage the people of today. Technology has swept over us in the last century to the point of towering skyscrapers and endless possibilities. Rising higher and higher, with each new peak comes a new challenge to face. And we must face it together.

Scene 4 - Transportation
27356425350_e1d937ca40_k.jpg

Night falls over the attraction as you transition into the next scene, which shows billions of digital lights shinning all around you as you soar under enormous physical sets of overpasses with whizzing cars and commuters all around you attempting to reach the city

Narrator: With large inhabitant areas, a growing concern has been the commotion and volume of areas and their negative effects on this earth. Through hydroelectric cars, wind and solar power, and energy efficient lights and roads, our future is luminescent as we drive into the future.

Scene 5 - Communication and Digital Tunnel

With a subtle nod to the Rainbow Tunnel from the Imagination Pavilion, your Omnimovers enter into a large super network of glowing luminescent colors and streams. You hear voice echos of people on cell-phones, see code soaring by you at the speed of light, as you are in the center of the digital tunnel.

Narrator: Technology has shrunk this world while at the same time expanding it. We can now communicate and interact with one another like we never could before. More and more people can interact and co-exist in the virtual realm thanks to the driving force of technology. It is our responsibility though, to use this communicative privilege to our collective advantage into the future.

Scene 6/7 - Eco-Green Environment

You enter into the city in daylight after the tunnel and arrive at a towering, rotating skyscraper as your vehicles circle it as it spins with the sun to project solar power to run the electricity of the building.

Narrator: Our dreamers make the world go round. If we continue to innovate to create a better future, tomorrow's child will benefit. Using green energy and Eco-friendly practices have enabled cities to grow and expand at astronomical rates. However while we must protect the earth, we also must protect ourselves.

Scene 8 - Nanotechnology
2016-06-13_03-03-13_zpssnexqxi2.jpg

The transition goes dark and you see fluorescent streaks of green light flying through the sky. As you approach closer you realize these streaks are action potentials of neurons flying through the brain as you enter deeper.

Narrator: Technology of our age has enabled us to enhance our health and related science fields, creating not only a safer environment for out planet, but also keeping humans from harm as well. As the influx of treatments and cures for diseases and ailments begins to grow, we will live in a healthier habitat thanks to the contribution of technology in our lives. MRIs nanotechnology, robotic surgery, science fiction to people of centuries past, however realities for our community today.

Scene 9/10 - Meteorology
2016-06-13_01-34-11_zpsunmiqad8.jpg

From the lobes of the brain to the vast emptiness of outer space, you transition to a dark room that suddenly is illuminated with the reflection of the earth as you see a satellite orbiting the planet as it zooms past you.

Narrator: While we can do everything we can to protect the earth, sometimes it doesn't do everything to protect us, and our new surveillance technology of growing storm patterns and weather of mother earth has contributed to our abilities to predict certain events and prepare ourselves and our communities in ways we weren't capable of beforehand.

Scene 11/12 - Space Exploration
20160613_154137_zpsicbl3auq.jpg

Your vehicles rotate 180 degrees and turn out towards the vastness of space in a large dome like set piece located on the 4th floor of the pavilion (your vehicles have ascended to the 4th floor)

With the earth behind, you see the international space station and the moon on the horizon.

Narrator: Our innovations have not only impacted our world, but potential worlds beyond. Space exploration and deep space exploration may be imminent in the coming years as our intelligence and preparation from our advancement in technology has enabled us to dream big and pursue things that would not have been possible before.

Scene 13/14 - New Horizon and Project City
27024112883_d44e4ece85_k.jpg

As you fall back down to earth (back to the 3rd floor) you are surrounded by a utopian society curving around your omnimovers.

Narrator: As we push forward in time and into the 22nd century, we must keep in mind our vision of the future. The future can be a positive, harmonic place if we work together to achieve a common goal. A project city of the future, with the expansive technological accomplishments humanity has achieved, is not out of the question. An experimental prototype community of tomorrow attempts to persuade that justification, and visualize our Final Frontier...

The attraction ends with peaceful music as you gaze at the incredible motion based visual set piece around you as you return to the unload area and post-show area.

Conclusion
The New Horizons Pavilion will be a symbol of Epcot's message for the future, and a tether between all of the eclectic pavilions of Future World tying the story together into one cohesive hub. Not only will the New Horizons Pavilion bring all of the themes of Future World together as one, but it will build off the story of Epcot and lend a hand in fixing the narrative of Epcot as we keep moving forward...

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
First off - welcome to the imagineer forum! If you have an idea for how to fix Innoventions, I think it would be more fun to just talk about it here and possible build up an actual proposal with people around the forum. I doubt Disney takes suggestions via e-mail so it might just be easier to submit your ideas here. :)

In a competition last year we transformed Innoventions into the New Horizons Pavilion - a bit of blue sky, but might be something you'd like.
What would be the best way to give them a suggestion and a petition?

s8film40

Well I hope you don't take what I said the wrong way. I totally get what you want to do, because I've been there. I wanted to save Horizons, I made buttons to try to campaign to save the Adventurers club and I've participated in these type of efforts for countless other great attractions now replaced by mediocre things that the Disney company deemed were more important. All I can say is from my experience if you want to do something productive take the time we have to document what's there. The only thing you're going to save is the memory of what it was. Take a look at the Horizons Resurrected project. In order to accomplish that information is needed, photos of things that most people wouldn't normally photograph, video walkthroughs etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom