News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

disneyC97

Sooooo....

You showed up, got mad that Universal didn't control the weather properly, apparently didn't ride Spidey, Potter, Cat, or any of the other great (far more than 10%) attractions that would have been open, and then left.
I rode all those attractions plus Kong and Dragon Challenge. They were fun. Just my experience. No shade to those that enjoy this park more.

Sketch105

I imagine they are. There's a fair amount of stuff that can be remade pretty easily like the bits of metal from the Alien scene, but things like the spacesuits in that same scene will probably be saved.

That depends on Twentieth Century Fox. Usually any item from a contract agreement with another film company or licensed property has a rule that requires it to be destroyed or not visible to the public if the original agreement ends (i.e., the attraction the agreement was made for closes).

I could see generic props like boxes, plants, and the even the gangster car transported to other parts of the park or other attractions, but anything that can easily be traced (the flowers or munchkins in Oz, the Arc of the Covenant, the spacesuits and Aliens from Alien) will be torn apart.

Although now that I think of it, do you think the Arc of the Covenant in the display cases was simply a mold of the one in the ride? or the actual thing from the movie?

Sometimes fabrications are passed off as the real thing..it happens.

WDWTank

That depends on Twentieth Century Fox. Usually any item from a contract agreement with another film company or licensed property has a rule that requires it to be destroyed or not visible to the public if the original agreement ends (i.e., the attraction the agreement was made for closes).

I could see generic props like boxes, plants, and the even the gangster car transported to other parts of the park or other attractions, but anything that can easily be traced (the flowers or munchkins in Oz, the Arc of the Covenant, the spacesuits and Aliens from Alien) will be torn apart.

Although now that I think of it, do you think the Arc of the Covenant in the display cases was simply a mold of the one in the ride? or the actual thing from the movie?

They should make molds of the props if they need to be torn apart:) that should sneak around the licensing agreement ;)

WDWTank

What the was the REAL reason why The Great Movie Ride closed? I was at the Studios park today and everything including Muppets was more crowded than usual. Do shareholders play a role for these types of decisions?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In addition to the cost of labor and the difficulties and the cost of those difficulties of a live-fire display, I imagine the 'cost' included the capital expense of repair. The attraction was getting to the point that to bring it up to snuff they'd be spending a big big chunk o'money.

Then there's the lack of merchandising of the attractions "IP" and all that missing money.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
False.

Let's look at the opening day attractions, shall we?

https://touringplans.com/disneyland/attractions/opening-dates

I'm not going to count the Disneyland Band and railroad stations, that it lists, which makes the list:
Direct IP rides:
  • King Arthur carrousel
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures
Rides heavily featuring IP:
  • Main Street Cinema
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats
Rides related to IP:
  • Jungle Cruise (built as a ride based on and to promote Tru-Life Adventures movie series)
So that's a far majority right there. All the rides were either directly or indirectly based on IP or were founded in Walt's fascination with transportation (Riverboat, Railroad, Autopia).

Next couple of rides to open followed in the IP vein:
Direct IP -- Robinson Crusoe Treehouse, 1962

WDWTank

In addition to the cost of labor and the difficulties and the cost of those difficulties of a live-fire display, I imagine the 'cost' included the capital expense of repair. The attraction was getting to the point that to bring it up to snuff they'd be spending a big big chunk o'money.

Then there's the lack of merchandising of the attractions "IP" and all that missing money.
Why couldn't they merchandise Wizard of Oz? The most popular family movie of all time? Also, they could've just added a gift shop :)

asianway

Disney owns Indy

Imagineer Mitch

I know this has probably been discussed a lot before but why can't Disney use the Chinese Theater as it's park icon? It's always tower of terror, but why can't the theater be the icon along with the castle, tree, and SSE?

Sketch105

I know this has probably been discussed a lot before but why can't Disney use the Chinese Theater as it's park icon? It's always tower of terror, but why can't the theater be the icon along with the castle, tree, and SSE?

Originally, it was, but because the "Hat" replaced it for so many years, people have forgotten what it once symbolized..... so they tend to use the Tower of Terror instead. I think they are waiting on the revamp on the park to anoint a new icon.

There's rumors that Graumann didn't like their theatre being used on Disney advertising, but I think that's hogwash because you don't allow people to build a replica of your theatre in the main sightline of your park and not allow them to use it promoting the park it's in.

lazyboy97o

Originally, it was, but because the "Hat" replaced it for so many years, people have forgotten what it once symbolized..... so they tend to use the Tower of Terror instead. I think they are waiting on the revamp on the park to anoint a new icon.

There's rumors that Graumann didn't like their theatre being used on Disney advertising, but I think that's hogwash because you don't allow people to build a replica of your theatre in the main sightline of your park and not allow them to use it promoting the park it's in.
There was no licensing with Mann Theaters as the theater predates the US recognizing architecture as a copyrightable work.

DisneyDodo

So they closed it because it was too expensive to operate? Why didn't they wait until after Toy Story Land opens?

They want MMRR to be completed in time for SWGE, because that is when they will really need the added capacity (even more so than now, as the capacity added by the 4 rides in TSL and SWGE is expected to pale in comparison to the added attendance SWGE will bring to DHS).

Tom Morrow

My assumption has always been that the Chinese Theater doesn't translate well to a literal simplistic icon the way that a castle, sphere, tree, hat, and the Earful Tower do/did. Tower of Terror's "shape" works slightly better and is probably being used as a placeholder icon for the time being.

asianway

My assumption has always been that the Chinese Theater doesn't translate well to a literal simplistic icon the way that a castle, sphere, tree, hat, and the Earful Tower do/did. Tower of Terror's "shape" works slightly better and is probably being used as a placeholder icon for the time being.
Tower was used as the icon much of 94-00.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom