WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

Sabriel

If you have pics, we'd love to see the cakes. :) I really hope they change things for MK, because it was always a nice treat having a cake in the park.

I've thought about that, but I'm wondering if they fear they'd overwhelm the bakeries. I've only had one cake that really disappointed me, but most have exceeded my expectations.

Apologies for the delay and poor picture quality. I found a few photos on my phone but of course I don't know where the files from my actual camera are. Also, photos are edited for the sake of my absurdly private/internet-phobic relatives. :rolleyes:

If the icing on the Anna cake looks odd it's because it's actually white chocolate ganache, and it was delicious :hungry:

IMG_0328.JPG IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0325.JPG

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

CarlaM

Hey all!

It's that time again. I've already made my dining reservations so now I'm in cake mode. Lol. My ds will be turning four and wants a Star Wars cake this year. I'm wondering if Disney makes Star Wars cakes? Last year they couldn't make his Avengers cake because of licensing and I don't know if that will be the case for Star Wars. We'll be celebrating at Hollywood & Vine again at DHS.

If there are any pictures of Star Wars cakes I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hey all!

It's that time again. I've already made my dining reservations so now I'm in cake mode. Lol. My ds will be turning four and wants a Star Wars cake this year. I'm wondering if Disney makes Star Wars cakes? Last year they couldn't make his Avengers cake because of licensing and I don't know if that will be the case for Star Wars. We'll be celebrating at Hollywood & Vine again at DHS.

If there are any pictures of Star Wars cakes I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

They do make Star Wars cakes. In fact, some of the bakeries (BW's is usually the sure bet) have access to a 3D white chocolate Jedi Mickey topper. Beyond that, we've seen a handful of things beyond Jedi Mickey. I know there was one cake where they did 2D images of Star Wars based Vinylmations, I've seen screen prints, and I've seen a Chewbacca cake where they used a "fur" frosting tip to make his fur and then put his strap through the center of the cake. I think I've also seen a few where fondant was cut to make the cake look like Storm Trooper helmets or Boba Fett's helmet. Pretty sure we also saw one where they did something involving a big Vader head, but that may have been a groom's cake...and wedding stuff always gets greater allowances with what they'll do.

This is the one I was thinking of with the Vinylmations...

8626760846_c9eb0616e6_z.jpg

This is Jedi Mickey. The "painting" in this case compromised the integrity of the figure. Hence, why I often just like them accented in gold or silver. Still, it should give you a pretty good idea of what it would look like as a topper and most times the painting (while extra $) can enhance the figure. Cost to paint them also seems to vary between bakeries.

8626751034_cbc0f94b08_z.jpg

Beyong this, I know I've seen cakes with edible 2D standup toppers...nothing crazy, but BB8 and Kylo Ren have been popular more recently. If I hadn't done a Death Star cake this past fall, I'd like to do one with a 2D Death Star on top of a black cake that says "that's no moon."

Sheri Coffman

Hello all! I'm new to this thread and it's my first ever post! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the podium cakes taste good? Trying to plan a birthday cake surprise for DD after dinner at Chef Mickey's. Just don't know if all cakes taste the same or not.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hello all! I'm new to this thread and it's my first ever post! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the podium cakes taste good? Trying to plan a birthday cake surprise for DD after dinner at Chef Mickey's. Just don't know if all cakes taste the same or not.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm working on getting my house ready to sell and things have been crazy.

I'm personally not a fan of the podium cakes and feel like you can taste that they're pre-frozen. I have met a few people that like them as well as a number who agree with my opinion. A number of people have also found the customized basic buttercream cakes are of similar quality. I know any of the custom buttercream cakes with colored buttercream, the minis, the ganache covered cakes (minus the Mickey/Minnie head), and any of the fondant cakes are fresh. We've ordered a number of fondant covered cakes from the Contemporary bakery (services Chef Mickey's) and they've all been fresh and tasty.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wanted to pass this along...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...akes-coming-soon-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

MickeyCake-VanillaChocolate1287948.jpg

Looks like these new celebration cakes will be available starting May 17th. And based on the looks of things, I'd say WDW is working with Amorette's OR are copying them after their successes with their character dome cakes.

They say the are available at all WDW owned restaurants, so I would take this to mean these are an option in MK. For the $35 price tag, I have to think these are the smaller variety, as the larger domes at Amorette's are $65. Oh well, if anyone orders one, we'd love to hear about it. :)

CarlaM

IMG_8301.JPG

Hi all!

Last year I had a great ordering experience with the bakery at DHS. I was able to draw my design and email it to the bakery. It seems this year they have gone back to the ordering over the phone system. While the gentleman was pleasant and they got back to me really fast, it's just annoying trying to explain a cake over the phone and hoping they get the concept. I was quoted $350 for my ds Star Wars cake.

I explained this cake to them so hopefully it comes out great. Fingers crossed for what it will look like in October.

CarlaM

Wanted to pass this along...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...akes-coming-soon-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

MickeyCake-VanillaChocolate1287948.jpg

Looks like these new celebration cakes will be available starting May 17th. And based on the looks of things, I'd say WDW is working with Amorette's OR are copying them after their successes with their character dome cakes.

They say the are available at all WDW owned restaurants, so I would take this to mean these are an option in MK. For the $35 price tag, I have to think these are the smaller variety, as the larger domes at Amorette's are $65. Oh well, if anyone orders one, we'd love to hear about it. :)

These cakes are so cute!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
View attachment 202629
Hi all!

Last year I had a great ordering experience with the bakery at DHS. I was able to draw my design and email it to the bakery. It seems this year they have gone back to the ordering over the phone system. While the gentleman was pleasant and they got back to me really fast, it's just annoying trying to explain a cake over the phone and hoping they get the concept. I was quoted $350 for my ds Star Wars cake.

I explained this cake to them so hopefully it comes out great. Fingers crossed for what it will look like in October.

I hope all goes well. I love that cake concept and $350 is reasonable IMO for a tiered cake detailed like that. Ultimately, I this DHS is going to need to really get a better system going for cakes and such once Star Wars land opens. It's going to be a huge crowd draw and people will be seeking things in this theme, so it seems like a must to do more. Then again, if it's too overwhelming, they may pull back like they did in MK. Time will tell.

Keep us posted on the cake! :)

Squigglove

What is the reason that cakes can no longer be ordered to the Magic Kingdom? I'm not finding a reason for this. It is quite disappointing since I'll be there for my next birthday and had every intention of getting a cake to Cinderella's Table.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
What is the reason that cakes can no longer be ordered to the Magic Kingdom? I'm not finding a reason for this. It is quite disappointing since I'll be there for my next birthday and had every intention of getting a cake to Cinderella's Table.

Nobody really knows why. I have a number of guesses, but it all would be pure speculation and could be entirely wrong. All I can hope is that they add more to the options as time goes on.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi, does anyone have any info on who to call for a cake to be made at Tiffins?

• Tusker House and Tiffins cakes come from Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ bakery, but you'll need to call Animal Kingdom at 407-938-3243 to order.
These are the options offered by the Hollywood Studios bakery that you'll have to keep in mind when ordering via AK's line...
  • 6-inch $35 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream; screen prints not available
  • 8-inch $50 custom vanilla, chocolate or marble cake; filling is chocolate or vanilla buttercream, white or dark chocolate mousse, fruit mousse or custard with strawberries; frosting is vanilla or chocolate buttercream or whipped cream
  • 10-inch $70 custom cake, same options as 8-inch custom cake
  • Screen print costs $32
  • Mickey Mouse Cake $54 (serves 10–12): Vanilla or chocolate Mickey head-shaped cake with chocolate mousse filling, covered in chocolate ganache; only customization is writing on plate
  • It may be possible to get a fancy, fondant-covered cake by calling the Brown Derby’s Group Reservations line at 407-560-5377.

alissafalco

• Tusker House and Tiffins cakes come from Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ bakery, but you'll need to call Animal Kingdom at 407-938-3243 to order.
These are the options offered by the Hollywood Studios bakery that you'll have to keep in mind when ordering via AK's line...
  • 6-inch $35 chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream; screen prints not available
  • 8-inch $50 custom vanilla, chocolate or marble cake; filling is chocolate or vanilla buttercream, white or dark chocolate mousse, fruit mousse or custard with strawberries; frosting is vanilla or chocolate buttercream or whipped cream
  • 10-inch $70 custom cake, same options as 8-inch custom cake
  • Screen print costs $32
  • Mickey Mouse Cake $54 (serves 10–12): Vanilla or chocolate Mickey head-shaped cake with chocolate mousse filling, covered in chocolate ganache; only customization is writing on plate
  • It may be possible to get a fancy, fondant-covered cake by calling the Brown Derby’s Group Reservations line at 407-560-5377.
Thanks so much! I am interested in getting a fancy fondant covered cake, with animal kingdom theme. Im having a hard time looking for ideas. I only saw 1 or 2 themed with animal kingdom type theme. Im really open to anything. Do you know a good place to look?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks so much! I am interested in getting a fancy fondant covered cake, with animal kingdom theme. Im having a hard time looking for ideas. I only saw 1 or 2 themed with animal kingdom type theme. Im really open to anything. Do you know a good place to look?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but we were caught up in storm prep and now just watching it rain and rain.

I have seen some animal kingdom themed cakes. Have a few below that I found in my archives.
8626757290_328c4224a7_z.jpg

8626757302_2d6eef5247_z.jpg

8626757256_bdc4ac07dc_z.jpg

I think all of these were done by AKL's bakery and delivered to AKL restaurants. At some point, I want to say we've seen one like this also done by the Contemporary bakery. Additionally, I've seen a version of the third cake with just the hippo. It was a smaller, 6" cake, that was just done like a hippo filled watering hole. Hope this helps.

alissafalco

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but we were caught up in storm prep and now just watching it rain and rain.

I have seen some animal kingdom themed cakes. Have a few below that I found in my archives.
8626757290_328c4224a7_z.jpg

8626757302_2d6eef5247_z.jpg

8626757256_bdc4ac07dc_z.jpg

I think all of these were done by AKL's bakery and delivered to AKL restaurants. At some point, I want to say we've seen one like this also done by the Contemporary bakery. Additionally, I've seen a version of the third cake with just the hippo. It was a smaller, 6" cake, that was just done like a hippo filled watering hole. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much!

figmentfrenzy

So with the change to Magic Kingdom we are basically stuck to the meh cakes now? Unless we have one delivered from outside (is that still an option)? Not too much of a fan of the premade then frozen ones.

Blairnicol

Thank you so much!
Hey there-so I know the Tiffins staff is capable of doing a fancy cake. Joe Rohde has posted a birthday cake they have made for him on his Instagram that looked like the whole fried fish on the menu there. Not sure if it's something they just did because he's Joe Rohde or how you would go about ordering one from them. From the photo, it looks like their pastry chef is pretty talented (it was around this time last year). I'll try to find and post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom