News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Jrn14

I guess I lucked out because besides X-Men, GOTG is probably my second favorite Marvel entity. I don't know why but The Avengers are just ok for me and all those movies seem to run together in my mind. I like that GOTG feels more like a fun 60s/70s space movie than a super hero movie. I love the look and the humor of it. I am glad that TOT is remaining as is and I will miss Ellen but I"m not upset they are utilizing GOTG in the parks. I would prefer if they could at least portray the attraction in a way that it even in the slightest way fits with theme of Epcot... and that it's a good quality attraction. I would be upset if this was Iron Man the ride.

Jenny72

In addition to my other gripes about this change, I'm upset that there are fewer rides for the motion challenged among us. I used to be able to ride almost anything, including intense roller coasters, but even the Mine Train made me dizzy last time I was there (gah!). My husband can't ride anything rough for health reasons and my mother has decided those days are behind her. My kids are not dare devils. I've never even braved Mission Space because I'm afraid it'll mess me up for the whole day (and possibly ruin the day of the people on the ride with me, haha). The old rides (WOM, Horizons, UoE) needed updating, but they were the perfect speed for a group like ours.

bclane

In addition to my other gripes about this change, I'm upset that there are fewer rides for the motion challenged among us. I used to be able to ride almost anything, including intense roller coasters, but even the Mine Train made me dizzy last time I was there (gah!). My husband can't ride anything rough for health reasons and my mother has decided those days are behind her. My kids are not dare devils. I've never even braved Mission Space because I'm afraid it'll mess me up for the whole day (and possibly ruin the day of the people on the ride with me, haha). The old rides (WOM, Horizons, UoE) needed updating, but they were the perfect speed for a group like ours.
If Mine Train made you dizzy you should definitely not ride Mission Space. At least not Orange. Green would probably be ok though.

Jenny72

Yeah, my inner ear has gone to the dogs. But to be honest, I don't even want to feel claustrophobic locked into that little box. Have I turned into a coward? I think it's fair to say, yes, I have. Which is why Disney appealed so much -- there's so much stuff for a coward to go on. I guess because the big lines are for thrill rides, they feel they need more? And because the competition has them?

Disneyhead'71

I'm not sayin' Disney fans are a titch on the sensitive side, but Disney had to turn off the big spinney thing in the Mission Space queue because it was giving people standing in the queue vertigo and motion sickness. So when folks are falling over and puking BEFORE getting on the rides, you get "Park Bench: The Ride".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney has a fascination with Guardians of The Galaxy right now. :hilarious::hilarious: First Mission Breakout and now this ride in Epcot.
They couldn't replace Universe of Energy with anything else?:hilarious:o_O Guardians of the Galaxy definitely isn't my favorite Marvel movie franchise.

However, I'm sure I'll enjoy the ride anyway. Excited to see the progress.

May I introduce you to Princesses, Frozen, and Star Wars?

Casper Gutman

I'm not sayin' Disney fans are a titch on the sensitive side, but Disney had to turn off the big spinney thing in the Mission Space queue because it was giving people standing in the queue vertigo and motion sickness. So when folks are falling over and puking BEFORE getting on the rides, you get "Park Bench: The Ride".
I was under the impression that the big wheel simply broke.

Also, Disney kinda built its reputation on incredibly detailed versions of "Park Bench: The Ride." If WDW wants to compete on thrills, they will lose. Because of their audience, they can't push the envelope enough. There are plenty of places that offer thrilling coasters - if you want coasters, you go to Cedar Point or Kennywood or Knotts or even a Six Flags.

Sketch105

The problem with the use of movie IP's in most cases it puts a expiration date on the attraction. When the first Frontierland was built 'Davy Crockett' was the rage. But Disney was wise enough to create a land where Davy could exist yet not tie the identity to him

Yes, but for the most part they are going for franchises that will have a staying power for a few years, or ones that the company is invested in. There's a reason they never built the Fairies land in New Fantasyland.

Yes, eventually some of these attractions may get replaced down the line, but this will be a decade long after they've made all their money back on building, promoting the rides and lifting attendance, which is the ultimate goal.

Guardians was put in Epcot because of several factors- Disney had a hot Marvel property they could actually use in Florida, they had an aging attraction with large amounts of space that could be used for their vision, and it was in a park which needs, above all else- an attendance boost. Guardians will help with that.

jt04

Yes, but for the most part they are going for franchises that will have a staying power for a few years, or ones that the company is invested in. There's a reason they never built the Fairies land in New Fantasyland.

Yes, eventually some of these attractions may get replaced down the line, but this will be a decade long after they've made all their money back on building, promoting the rides and lifting attendance, which is the ultimate goal.

Guardians was put in Epcot because of several factors- Disney had a hot Marvel property they could actually use in Florida, they had an aging attraction with large amounts of space that could be used for their vision, and it was in a park which needs, above all else- an attendance boost. Guardians will help with that.

That is for sure. Love seeing FW finally progress.

celluloid

I wonder if Guardians of the Galaxy will be a thing for 2-3 years until it cools down. exactly how it happened with Frozen.

I would have to agree. It has certainly peaked and is not on the level of Pirates or Frozen(more than tron) Of course it will be popular, and a new rollercoaster thrill holds power for a while this day and age, but people forget that Ellen and Bill Nye were incredibly popular in 1995-96. Jeopardy infamous as well. I do predict over exposure starting to hit with Marvel in general, and Guardians is not up to snuff with the rest of The Avengers. Its going to fade a tad faster.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's well known. It's also a quick fix, panic reaction in a desperate attempt to boost attendance as opposed to doing the right thing.

In five years the area known as Futureworld could be a shell of its former self. Literally. We're on the cusp of possible irreparable physical damage being done to the park.

Like a few other things if it happens you'll know what I mean. If it doesn't I'll tell you about it sometime.

Last edited:

Movielover

I would have to agree. It has certainly peaked and is not on the level of Pirates

Both Guardian movies out grossed every Pirates movie except for Dead Man's Chest domestically, Also when comparing the 2 latest in the franchise, Guardian's Vol. 2 to Dead Man Tell No Tales you can clearly see which series is being loved by audiences. Overseas is a little trickier due to several factors, one of which is that the humor present in Guardians does not translate well into other languages.

Plus the Guardians are nowhere near being done as they will appear in the upcoming Avenger's films and a third film in their franchise. Meanwhile it's looking like certain that the Pirates franchise is dead.

Sources: Box Office Mojo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom