Montana Tomorrowland?

TwilightZone

Original Poster
I found out about an unused tomorrowland concept on one of the fourms at micechat and while I have found some interviews and concept art of it, I want to know more about this interesting unused concept for what eventually became the 98 tomorrowland. If anyone has anything to share can you tell or show it? Thanks!
MontanaFutureMain_zpsc9d497e8.jpg~c200

Phroobar

I found out about an unused tomorrowland concept on one of the fourms at micechat and while I have found some interviews and concept art of it, I want to know more about this interesting unused concept for what eventually became the 98 tomorrowland. If anyone has anything to share can you tell or show it? Thanks!
MontanaFutureMain_zpsc9d497e8.jpg~c200
I wish the picture was bigger.

Phroobar

The Star Speeder 3000 is pretty cool. I wonder where the sub lagoon is. It's like they moved the monorail loading platform on the opposite side of the lagoon next to the Matterhorn. Otherwise it's hard to see what anything looks like. I've never seen this one before. I forwarded it on to the crew over at EndorExpress.net for archiving.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Isn't this some of the concept art for the proposed 'Tomorrowland 2055' project that was being developed for Disneyland in the mid-90s...?
I've seen this same piece a few times before.

-

D

Deleted member 107043

Some elements from the Montana concept made it into TL '98. The edible landscape for example.

TROR

Love that "ribcage" design the Monorail passes through. While I've seen this concept art before and others like it, I had no idea it was referred to as Montana Tomorrowland.

Antaundra

At least it would have spared us the pain of Innoventions.
Innoventions was really cool the first... year? Maybe 2 years? I'll be generous and say the technology was impressive for the first five years. The problem was the technology never changed. By the time iPhones premiered everything in Innoventions was obsolete. Yet it still limped along for almost another decade after everyone owned a smart phone.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm sure this still would have been bad even with its EPCOT Center-esque architecture.

Also, Plectu's Galactic Review is a remarkably horrible name for an attraction. The outside looks like a cross between the spaceship from Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the Saved By the Bell logo. In its defense, it looks like it would have actually required Disney spend money instead of slapping something together.

Phroobar

I'm sure this still would have been bad even with its EPCOT Center-esque architecture.

Also, Plectu's Galactic Review is a remarkably horrible name for an attraction. The outside looks like a cross between the spaceship from Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the Saved By the Bell logo. In its defense, it looks like it would have actually required Disney spend money instead of slapping something together.
That is exactly what the building was suppose to be, a spaceship crash landed in Tomorrowland and puts on a circus show. It would have cost money but Cynthia Harriss needed that money for her private torture chamber were the Star Port restaurant use to be.

Phroobar

TgijGNT.jpg

According to a source at WDI, "...confirmed that this artwork was not created by WDI. Perhaps it was created by Marketing back in the day for something. This is clearly supposed to be Disneyland because of the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Also, the color scheme of the Starspeeder makes it something for the original version of the attraction, not the current version. Other than that, I’m sorry I can’t help you out further."

dweezil78

Also, the color scheme of the Starspeeder makes it something for the original version of the attraction, not the current version.

Well yeah, obviously... this would be pre-TL98. Not sure if that source at WDI fully understood what this was. I'm fairly certain this isn't something the marketing team would have produced though.

According to this thread from back in 2002, artwork for 'Montana' Tomorrowland was displayed in the Disney Gallery back in the late 90s, so I'm guessing that's where this was snapped pre-smartphone cameras.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.disney.disneyland/lBxWZv5_QMA

BTW there is a decent amount of discussion about this project and other old stuff on those old internet news groups if you search for them! :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom