Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

lazyboy97o

I've always have felt the temple itself was the focus of the attraction. We only see Indy at the beginning and the end of the ride. Mara is more of a main character than he is imo.
Even then, the temple and its main artifact are human creations.

cjkeating

Wait... so would that mean that this is a version of some amalgamated South American country, but set in the 1930s?
largada-gc3a1vea-1937.jpg

It would be a weird clash with Africa and Asia, which are notable for being clearly set in the present.
DSC_9441.jpg

Then again, we've got Avatar now, so...

All of AK is set in present day, I'm not sure about Pandora, I guess it is 'alternative reality present day' even though the land is in the future based on the movie timeline.

Is it possible Indy 5 will be present day? Or would that make IJ immortal?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If they insist on sticking with an exctinct animals land, I think it should be renamed Pangaea. That flows well with the name Pandora and broadens the area to be about more than just dinosaurs.
That would open quite a franchise opportunity for Panera... ;)

Bairstow

All of AK is set in present day, I'm not sure about Pandora, I guess it is 'alternative reality present day' even though the land is in the future based on the movie timeline.

Based on its own mythology, Avatarland takes place some time after 2166.

For multiple reasons, Indiana Jones makes no sense set in the present day, especially when his own continuity shows him aging normally into the 1950s. His canon birthdate was July 1, 1899.

Last edited:

Mike S

Based on its own mythology, Avatarland takes place some time after 2166.

For multiple reasons, Indiana Jones makes no sense set in the present day, especially when his own continuity shows him aging normally into the 1950s. His canon birthdate was July 1, 1899.
The movie takes place in 2154 and since the land is said to be 100 years later that would put it at 2254.

Mike S

Where are you getting the 100 years later bit from?
http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
The theme park land is set in the Mo’ara Valley 100 years later, after the wars and the mining have ended, leaving Pandora environmentally devastated. Under a pact between Na’vi and Alpha Centauri Expeditions, a limited number of earthling tourists are able to visit the valley. The Na’vi and human inhabitants are trying to restore Pandora, and the plants play an important role.
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/florida-travel/article153402359.html

lazyboy97o

But what if the temple is worshipping an animal? Or perhaps worshipping a mythological animal like the yeti on Expedition Everest?
I’m not sure it is appropriate to describe the yeti as worshipped. The museum sets it up as a metaphor for the power of nature but the yeti is not imbued with any supernatural characteristics. A pulp archeology andventure angle would typically mean encountering a powerful yeti artifact, not the yeti itself. Yes, you could still have it be the actual animal but you’re now adding in a bunch of extra backstory that needs to be communicated in order to justify a veering away from the main subject.

Where are you getting the 100 years later bit from?
http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
It was discussed in a bunch of the preopening press.

Casper Gutman

If you converted all of Dinoland to "South America" and remade Dinosaur as Indy, you'd still be deviating from the parks theme, but not too badly, especially if you added a more animal-centric walk and second ride. You'd be entirely eliminating dinos, which are really popular, from WDW unless they immediately announced a whole new dino area. If Uni was smart, they'd immediately expand Jurrasic Park and corner the Orlando dino market.

I strongly suspect that WDW doesn't want an Indy ride in a "South America" land, they want a full Indy land. That's the logic of the modern theme park. And that wouldn't fit.

Look, Indiana Jones, like GotG, can support a big, lush area and WDW has room for it in places that are thematically appropriate. Shoehorning it into existing structures is just nuts.

Hey, you know what would have worked at MGM? Instead of a cheap n' chintzy TSL, build a nice fancy Indy land to go with SWL. Then the MGM makeover would actually fix some of the parks problems.

DisneyDaver

Hey, you know what would have worked at MGM? Instead of a cheap n' chintzy TSL, build a nice fancy Indy land to go with SWL. Then the MGM makeover would actually fix some of the parks problems.

Why not Indy in addition to TSL and SWL? I won't argue with the adjectives you used for TSL, but I do think many young kids who are Toy Story fans will like it anyway.

Casper Gutman

Why not Indy in addition to TSL and SWL? I won't argue with the adjectives you used for TSL, but I do think many young kids who are Toy Story fans will like it anyway.
Hey, build a substantial Indy land at MGM as part of the expansion and I won't even complain about TSL. Of course, the MGM redo WAS supposed to have a major third component, but that got cut. Of course.

I think kids will enjoy TSL, but that shouldn't be the final arbiter of what WDW builds. Kids enjoy a wide range of things, but in the end things that are higher quality stick with them - as a child I loved both WDW and my local amusement park, but as I aged only one of them stuck with me and earned my loyalty. Kids aren't as lacking in discernment as some folks around here (and this isn't directed at you) seem to feel.

DisneyDaver

I think kids will enjoy TSL, but that shouldn't be the final arbiter of what WDW builds. Kids enjoy a wide range of things, but in the end things that are higher quality stick with them - as a child I loved both WDW and my local amusement park, but as I aged only one of them stuck with me and earned my loyalty. Kids aren't as lacking in discernment as some folks around here (and this isn't directed at you) seem to feel.

I agree that kids shouldn't be the final arbiter, but I also think as adults we sometime forget what appeals to young kids. My nephew's favorite ride in all of WDW on one visit was Goofy's Barnstormer (he was 5 at the time). He rode it over and over and had a blast. He was too young then to appreciate (or likely meet height requirements) for much of what is coming for SWL and what would likely be part of an Indy land. I am also certain my daughter will love TSL when we visit in 2019 (even though I will see it as something that could have been done much better). And, yes, TSL will certainly end up as something that could have been much better for kids of all ages and adults, but I'm ok with "cheap and chintzy" TSL as long as we get other areas that meet the standards that you (and many others) expect.

Mike S

I agree that kids shouldn't be the final arbiter, but I also think as adults we sometime forget what appeals to young kids. My nephew's favorite ride in all of WDW on one visit was Goofy's Barnstormer (he was 5 at the time). He rode it over and over and had a blast. He was too young then to appreciate (or likely meet height requirements) for much of what is coming for SWL and what would likely be part of an Indy land. I am also certain my daughter will love TSL when we visit in 2019 (even though I will see it as something that could have been done much better). And, yes, TSL will certainly end up as something that could have been much better for kids of all ages and adults, but I'm ok with "cheap and chintzy" TSL as long as we get other areas that meet the standards that you (and many others) expect.
When I was a kid my favorites were things like Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Universe of Energy, Spaceship Earth, etc.

Sam Magic

I'd love an Indy land to replace the Echo lake area? Theme it to be a 1940s style University area or something...make it a fully realized Indy land. I'd love that.

BrianLo

Something else happens in 1899...

p1180376.jpg

Would not be opposed for further Indy integration beyond Jock Lindsey. Even if Indy isn't an implicit member, his grandfather certainly could be represented on the right.

Last edited:

Disneyson

I wonder if this has any sort of correlation with those "bogus" Fire Mountain rumors we heard a while ago... like, perhaps it was the same blue sky session that created both of these ideas and the other Indy-type expedition adventure attraction rumors, and maybe the placement in AK, Studios, or MK is still being hotly debated... Seems reasonable seeing the timeframe of these rumors coming close to one another.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if this has any sort of correlation with those "bogus" Fire Mountain rumors we heard a while ago... like, perhaps it was the same blue sky session that created both of these ideas and the other Indy-type expedition adventure attraction rumors, and maybe the placement in AK, Studios, or MK is still being hotly debated... Seems reasonable seeing the timeframe of these rumors coming close to one another.

Blue sky? That's the second guy from left in the S.E.A. portrait, Professor R. Bluaerhimmel*.**

*name in German means 'blue sky.' :D

**that's his actual name according to the portraiture

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom