RIP The Great Movie Ride

KBLovedDisney

Have to say this is probably the hardest I have taken an attraction/ride closing. I had always loved going on this and remember going on it when I was young. I had found myself really appreciating it the last few years. Anyway, I’ve purchased a shirt and tumbler to remember it. Also bought the mickey GMR cel with the pin, and the nice wooden wall sign of the GMR entrance. I figure if I can’t go in the movies anymore, I can bring the GMR to me. RIP. :(
Where did you find the GMR cel with the pin?

disneygeek90

Where did you find the GMR cel with the pin?
It was in the Muppets store. I had thought about getting one for a while now and pulled the trigger Saturday. Not sure how many they have/where else you can find them. I suppose at some of the other art stores around property. I also have the Toy Story mania cel so they will go nicely together. This is the picture with Mickey as the cel. Kinda poetic justice we have Mickey who will be the replacement...
untitled.png

Goofyernmost

I know I've asked this before but I would really love to know what typically happens with the props when an attraction closed? Do they go away or get recycled?
Many things are recycled. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the AA's, in different face and costume someplace in Star Wars Land. They have a lot of them to choose from. Especially the AA of the wicked witch. That one was more up to date then most of the rest of them. Some of the props will be there as well, you just won't necessarily recognize them, slightly modified, repainted and living on the Edge of the Galaxy. Might even see a few in TSL.

BasiltheBatLord

I know I've asked this before but I would really love to know what typically happens with the props when an attraction closed? Do they go away or get recycled?
At least some of it apprently goes to the Walt Disney Archives (no idea how decisions are made regarding what is archived), some I imagine will be preserved by Imagineering to be re-used in other places later on, some will simply be destroyed. I wish I knew what percentage of items fell into these three categories.

Goofyernmost

The general public never sees any of this, right? Or is that what Walt Disney Archives means?
I don't know if they still do this or not, but, there used to be businesses, in the area, that bought up all the recognizable items and resold them to the public. Since there is more money to be made in resale it wouldn't surprise me if Disney itself went into the Sanford and Son business as well. As far as Archive, that would just be a fancy word for storage until needed. The public wouldn't be involved, however, there again, is another opportunity for a lucrative, up-charge tour. Imagine seeing the entire set of Oz just sitting there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Many things are recycled. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the AA's, in different face and costume someplace in Star Wars Land. They have a lot of them to choose from. Especially the AA of the wicked witch. That one was more up to date then most of the rest of them. Some of the props will be there as well, you just won't necessarily recognize them, slightly modified, repainted and living on the Edge of the Galaxy. Might even see a few in TSL.
Nope. Most of these will be thrown out. A few will be archived (heads mainly).

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Most of the figures (even the witch) are old tech. Life expired parts and no cost effective way of being brought to or intergrated with more modern designs.
By thrown away, does that mean a person knowing where to look could easily take these items? I would think they have a lot of fan value. How does Disney typically dispose of large items such as ride vehicles and massive amounts of trash like the entire Wizard of Oz set?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By thrown away, does that mean a person knowing where to look could easily take these items? I would think they have a lot of fan value. How does Disney typically dispose of large items such as ride vehicles and massive amounts of trash like the entire Wizard of Oz set?
I very much doubt anything would be accessible.

Anything of larger size is usually made into bits small enough to manage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom