CLIFFLIX - Illuminations 2017 in 4k

Jahona

Dito what wdwmagic said. The dynamic range is great. Really well captured and edited. I'm curious what camera system you were filming with?

Cliff

Original Poster
V-Log, S-log, Cineon, RedCode and other compressed logarithmic gamma curves, look up tables, raw sensor data streams and post de-Bayering algorithms. This is all too confusing to me....where do I go to turn this stuff on in my iPhone? ;-)

Jahona

V-Log, S-log, Cineon, RedCode and other compressed logarithmic gamma curves, look up tables, raw sensor data streams and post de-Bayering algorithms. This is all too confusing to me....where do I go to turn this stuff on in my iPhone? ;-)

Filmic Pro lets you shoot in a log format for the iPhone ;)

Cliff

Original Poster
Filmic Pro lets you shoot in a log format for the iPhone ;)
Lol....it actually does....'sort of". It actually takes the standard rec709 readout that the iPhone circuit does and adds its own log curve to it. So, unfortunaty what is clipped at the sensor readout, stays that way when the app curves the gamma. There is no way for an app to recover what was already lost before the app got it.

A true "log" readout will happen at the sensor readout level. The log curve is applied to the raw voltage readout from the photosite. (Actual pixel voltage) The values are mapped into a log cuve and then sent down the pipe for more processing.

The iPhone is collecting and mapping a standard 6-7 stop rec709 curve and sending that down the curcuit for apps to pickup and process, so no "true" log mapping is really possible. Its only "log" applied over a maxed out rec709 readout that is already completed. This means very little actual dynamic range increase. :-(

This is why shooting this video with my iPhone was so difficult. ;-)

Last edited:

Jahona

True more of a Log-light then a true log profile. When I've seen it used it's just to make color grading in post a little easier and not necessarily keep details in highlights and shadows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom