Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

ChewbaccaYourMum

Most people don't get it. Themed entertainment is rarely appreciated as the art form that it is. But you will get it when things go awry. Making up backstories to bring franchises into a setting does not make it a cohesive theme. There are lots of movies set in the jungle/wilderness but without the underlying motif of the park it would feel out of place even if you don't think or care about "theme". Anna and Elsa in their country home in South America may look right but certainly feel weird. Heck if all you need is feel or setting you could have anything from the Jungle book to Apocalypse Now.

Which is why I’m suggesting change the idea of animal kingdom from being just about animals and saving the planet, to animals, saving the planet and a Adventure/wild theme. Where you can have rides like Indy and mystic manor and the safari next to each other. It seems like almost every cool rumor I see that’s suggested people just yell “NO throw it in Magic Kingdom it obviously fits there!” You know why? Cause Magic Kingdom is very broad and almost anything could fit there! The other parks, especially Animal Kingdom, could be a little more broad than just specifically animals and conservation which is imo a glorified zoo. Which I don’t care too much about and based on attendance since Animal Kingdom opened, others don’t too.

lazyboy97o

Which is why I’m suggesting change the idea of animal kingdom from being just about animals and saving the planet, to animals, saving the planet and a Adventure/wild theme. Where you can have rides like Indy and mystic manor and the safari next to each other. It seems like almost every cool rumor I see that’s suggested people just yell “NO throw it in Magic Kingdom it obviously fits there!” You know why? Cause Magic Kingdom is very broad and almost anything could fit there! The other parks, especially Animal Kingdom, could be a little more broad than just specifically animals and conservation which is imo a glorified zoo. Which I don’t care too much about and based on attendance since Animal Kingdom opened, others don’t too.
Just adding on whatever doesn’t actually make for cohesion, even if you state it. It’s retconning of the worst sort. There is no inherent connection between the intrinsic value of nature and random adventures.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He is an archaeologist...that would be a layup.

Does the Yeti teach about preserving things? ...If he was working that is :)

"Yeti? Is that you? I'm not like the others, Yeti! I see through the monster coating to the gentle loner inside. I bet you have a wounded raccoon friend that you tenderly nurse back to health while you go *coo, coo*. But in the end they shoot you. But you teach us about things."

britain

I think some people here are using the word "theme" as "subject matter" and others are using the word "theme" as "style". Both are valid definitions, but they are tripping up the conversation.

The Grand Floridian has a Victorian theme (style). But also has no theme (subject matter) besides some thin backstory for trivia books.
Pandora has an alien tropical theme (style) and it also has respect nature theme (subject matter).
If Beastly Kingdom had been built, it would have had a medieval theme (style) and a... respect magic... "don't steal gold from dragons"? theme (subject matter).

I think Joe Rhode said that the real theme (subject matter AND style) to AK is how the natural world can totally overpower man. I probably paraphrased that poorly, but this is what distinguishes EPCOT from AK: One puts humanism on a pedestal, the other lets that pedestal tip over while vines grow all over it.

I don't see why Indiana Jones stories can't fit Animal Kingdom both style-wise and subject-matter-wise.

lazyboy97o

I think some people here are using the word "theme" as "subject matter" and others are using the word "theme" as "style". Both are valid definitions, but they are tripping up the conversation.
They are both valid in their own right, but only one actually applies to themed entertainment. You’re identifying experience and decor. For no other storytelling medium would the setting and aesthetic be called the theme.

yensidtlaw1969

He is an archaeologist...that would be a layup.

Does the Yeti teach about preserving things? ...If he was working that is :)
Archaeology is about the preservation of man's own history, not that of animals. Nor about how man's nature relates to the nature of animals. Indy is a series of movies that happen to have exotic locations within it where animals live, but they are never about them.

I like Indy, and I can't imagine any of the above would stop them from adding him to AK if they wanted to, but to suggest that the property is readymade on-theme for the park is a big stretch.

Last edited:

WildcatDen

So for DAK, they would retheme the dino coaster into the Temple of Perl and redress Dinosaur into Temple of the Forbidden Eye and add lots of bamboo?
I will try and see if I recorded any notes on the last conversation, but off the top of my head, Dinosaur = Rethemed to an Indy Ride (not 100% the same as DL). PW - Removed. TS - removed, new E-Ticket replacing PW and TS (potential water ride). Not recalling any change to the dig site other them light re-theming. Potential 3rd attraction but very little was mentioned. As it stood, net loss of 1 attraction but the new would be an E versus the C and D it would replace. As for the water ride aspect, since I was lead to believe DHS SWL was getting a water ride and we know how that turned out, I have less confidence in this happening at AK. Keep in mind, it has been over a month since Serpico and I spoke at all and even longer since AK was mentioned. Like @marni1971 said, I believe something will happen in this area, I just tend to think it will happen a little sooner. . .

ChewbaccaYourMum

Just adding on whatever doesn’t actually make for cohesion, even if you state it. It’s retconning of the worst sort. There is no inherent connection between the intrinsic value of nature and random adventures.

Meh, for me it would work just fine. I can't ever be as specific as most people on here. I love WDW and go to escape the real world and just have a great time. I don't sit there and scrutinize everything and see how it doesn't work or how one theme doesn't fit with the park or the whole world of Disney and get mad about it. I'm just not at that level. Sorry.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it: Dinoland USA sucks. I don't know how I would agree with Indy coming to AK of all parks, but if Disney did it right it could actually work well. What if they kept the dinosaur theme of the area, so to maintain the animal aspect, but merged it with the Indy franchise? For example, Indy and the gang are exploring a secret dig site in South America where the excavating of priceless fossils is underway. This is where a re-themeing of the Boneyard comes into play. The excavation is taking place near ancient ruins, which is where a coaster could replace the lame carnival rides. Educational attractions about fossils and archaeology could be put here also. Finally, DINOSAUR becomes a hybrid. Indy goes into the ancient ruins against the warnings of the locals, to uncover a sacred treasure, like in the Forbidden Eye version, but said treasure happens to be the bones of a rare dinosaur. The fossil happens to indeed be cursed and the dinosaur comes alive and chases the guests like in DINOSAUR. This would be a unique blend of both versions of the rides. Basically, Dinoland has to go and even though Indy might not be the best replacement, I see potential.

Epcot82Guy

Meh, for me it would work just fine. I can't ever be as specific as most people on here. I love WDW and go to escape the real world and just have a great time. I don't sit there and scrutinize everything and see how it doesn't work or how one theme doesn't fit with the park or the whole world of Disney and get mad about it. I'm just not at that level. Sorry.

To be fair, that is the challenge - and a bit of the gamble - of WDW and its management. For many of us on these Boards, that level of themeing and layered detail is what set Disney apart for us and instilled the fandom. With zero disrespect intended, I've found most people who fall into your camp are not turned off by the layered themeing. Whereas, things being "shoehorned" feels very wrong to people in my camp.

Where it becomes a bit frustrating is that WDW management is deciding/being told to decide that IP-driven attractions are needed to spike attendance ala the HP World model. And, they are doing it in a limited, economy-driven fashion in some cases (to some people). The gamble is that there are enough who don't mind the inconsistency that they will come to see it in droves. But, will it be enough to continue to trigger return and expanded visits which are also needed.

It's a constant struggle for public American companies with quarter-to-quarter profit drivers and incentives. And, a quick spike typically wins over long-term growth in today's market. I just wish they would put in place some stronger artistic management because - in almost all of these cases - there is a way to have all of these things at once for likely a similar budget with better thought and storytelling.

britain

They are both valid in their own right, but only one actually applies to themed entertainment. You’re identifying experience and decor. For no other storytelling medium would the setting and aesthetic be called the theme.

Actually for most theme parks in the world, there is no "subject matter". Witness the thousands of "old west towns" around the world. There's no subject matter to New Orleans Square, it's pure style and various attractions and stories can fit in it. There's no mission statement to Fantsyland, Sunset Blvd, or the Grizzly Peak area (what's its name now?) but it's super themed.

I'll admit that EPCOT and DAK raised the bar by having a consistent subject matter mission guide them to varying degrees of success. But these are exceptions, not the rule.

peter11435

Actually for most theme parks in the world, there is no "subject matter". Witness the thousands of "old west towns" around the world. There's no subject matter to New Orleans Square, it's pure style and various attractions and stories can fit in it. There's no mission statement to Fantsyland, Sunset Blvd, or the Grizzly Peak area (what's its name now?) but it's super themed.

I'll admit that EPCOT and DAK raised the bar by having a consistent subject matter mission guide them to varying degrees of success. But these are exceptions, not the rule.
Or you just never understood the difference between the theme and setting of the lands you listed.

lazyboy97o

If you don’t know and don’t care, then why are you continuing to speak on the subject?

There are themes all of those areas. You’re also now conflating ornament with theme. Lots of props doesn’t make something “themed.”

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I will try and see if I recorded any notes on the last conversation, but off the top of my head, Dinosaur = Rethemed to an Indy Ride (not 100% the same as DL). PW - Removed. TS - removed, new E-Ticket replacing PW and TS (potential water ride). Not recalling any change to the dig site other them light re-theming. Potential 3rd attraction but very little was mentioned. As it stood, net loss of 1 attraction but the new would be an E versus the C and D it would replace. As for the water ride aspect, since I was lead to believe DHS SWL was getting a water ride and we know how that turned out, I have less confidence in this happening at AK. Keep in mind, it has been over a month since Serpico and I spoke at all and even longer since AK was mentioned. Like @marni1971 said, I believe something will happen in this area, I just tend to think it will happen a little sooner. . .
Nothing Coaster-style in your tea leaves?

ChewbaccaYourMum

To be fair, that is the challenge - and a bit of the gamble - of WDW and its management. For many of us on these Boards, that level of themeing and layered detail is what set Disney apart for us and instilled the fandom. With zero disrespect intended, I've found most people who fall into your camp are not turned off by the layered themeing. Whereas, things being "shoehorned" feels very wrong to people in my camp.

Where it becomes a bit frustrating is that WDW management is deciding/being told to decide that IP-driven attractions are needed to spike attendance ala the HP World model. And, they are doing it in a limited, economy-driven fashion in some cases (to some people). The gamble is that there are enough who don't mind the inconsistency that they will come to see it in droves. But, will it be enough to continue to trigger return and expanded visits which are also needed.

It's a constant struggle for public American companies with quarter-to-quarter profit drivers and incentives. And, a quick spike typically wins over long-term growth in today's market. I just wish they would put in place some stronger artistic management because - in almost all of these cases - there is a way to have all of these things at once for likely a similar budget with better thought and storytelling.

I was maybe a bit over-dramatic in my comment. I love the theming in Disney, trust me, I do. It's unique to itself and nothing else compares. I guess I'm just a little more lenient when something like this happens and I can think of ways they can make this fit. Like in my other posts maybe changing the idea of Animal Kingdom to having the same idea about animals and conservation but with adventure/wild/jungle aspects where you can add stuff like Indy and it would make sense. To me atleast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom