News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Movielover

Good point. I'm not sure. Although we enjoyed Oz the Great and Powerful, which had several similarities in style to the MGM original. Given the current buy ip strategy, I do think Oz would balance Star Wars and Marvel, which I feel are more teen male oriented.

Which is ironic since they had to change practically everything detail wise because they didn't have the rights to the original from MGM, right down to the Witch's skin color.

AndrewsJ

Some friends of mine said that the movie reel at the end wasn't working last night :banghead:
They did have issues with it. Our last ride was a few cars before the final ride and a few Turner execs rode with us and said they were re-riding because the finale film was just a blue screen. I think they meant it just stayed on the blue curtain screen.

FrankLapidus

I'll miss the Great Movie Ride a lot.

It might not have been the most thrilling of attractions but it holds a lot of memories for me, from watching the trailer reel in the waiting line through to the ride itself. As a 6-year-old obsessed with Indiana Jones and on my first visit to WDW, the GMR grabbed my imagination immediately because it was the ride where you could actually see Indy and so in my mind, it became an instant favourite. I can remember even then being fascinated by the Alien trailer in the queue and wanting desperately to see the film so that I could understand why people around me in the line would say that it was one the scariest things they'd seen; now it's one of my favourite films of all time and my initial interest in it began with the GMR. I can still recite every word of the CM's spiel as well as the words in every scene of the ride, I can remember the sequence of the trailer reel and the film clips that were shown at the end of the ride before they were changed in accordance with the TCM sponsorship. It was and will remain one of my favourite WDW attractions, a classic in every sense of the word.

I'm disappointed it's gone; DHS needs additional attractions, not to have it's current ones replaced in the midst of such an overhaul as it's going through now. And while I'll give the new attraction a chance and like the concept, I really dislike the animation style they've chosen to go with.

For me, the GMR was an attraction that I hoped wouldn't be lost and I'm sorry that I won't be able to experience and enjoy it again.

Princess Leia

Wait a second, I know that face :happy: (I just sent her the link to the photos)
The-Great-Movie-Ride_Full_30825.jpg

Herbie

Wait a second, I know that face :happy: (I just sent her the link to the photos)
The-Great-Movie-Ride_Full_30825.jpg

Trying to decipher whether she was my tour guide for the last ride... If so, she was spectacular.

If she is the third to the right on the final bow/ "LAST RIDE EVER" video, then yes she was. She received a very warm applause and seemed to eat it up. Very lively performance.

JohnD

Yes Hollywood Studios was sold out. I ordered my PH and regular from there. It appears anyone can order the PH shirt unless they somehow know I am a pass holder when I go to Disney Store. Universe of Energy shirts were the as well

I'm a PH but, yeah, I saw that anyone can purchase it. I ordered PH UoE shirt.

AndrewsJ

I'll miss the Great Movie Ride a lot.

It might not have been the most thrilling of attractions but it holds a lot of memories for me, from watching the trailer reel in the waiting line through to the ride itself. As a 6-year-old obsessed with Indiana Jones and on my first visit to WDW, the GMR grabbed my imagination immediately because it was the ride where you could actually see Indy and so in my mind, it became an instant favourite. I can remember even then being fascinated by the Alien trailer in the queue and wanting desperately to see the film so that I could understand why people around me in the line would say that it was one the scariest things they'd seen; now it's one of my favourite films of all time and my initial interest in it began with the GMR. I can still recite every word of the CM's spiel as well as the words in every scene of the ride, I can remember the sequence of the trailer reel and the film clips that were shown at the end of the ride before they were changed in accordance with the TCM sponsorship. It was and will remain one of my favourite WDW attractions, a classic in every sense of the word.

I'm disappointed it's gone; DHS needs additional attractions, not to have it's current ones replaced in the midst of such an overhaul as it's going through now. And while I'll give the new attraction a chance and like the concept, I really dislike the animation style they've chosen to go with.

For me, the GMR was an attraction that I hoped wouldn't be lost and I'm sorry that I won't be able to experience and enjoy it again.
I was really hoping for the original loop while waiting in the theatre and the original finale film but alas I guess TCM's contract wouldn't allow it.

freediverdude

The Wizard of Oz set was a masterpiece, that is a shame to dismantle it. Also there were many historical movie props in the queue. I hope they have found a museum to take them, including one of the pairs of ruby slippers if I remember correctly. And all of the cement handprints of celebrities, are those just getting bulldozed? Some of those people are no longer alive.

peter11435

The Wizard of Oz set was a masterpiece, that is a shame to dismantle it. Also there were many historical movie props in the queue. I hope they have found a museum to take them, including one of the pairs of ruby slippers if I remember correctly. And all of the cement handprints of celebrities, are those just getting bulldozed? Some of those people are no longer alive.
I'm sure the movie props were all returned to their owners as most were on loan. The slippers have been gone for a while now. I don't imagine anything will happen with the handprints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom