Tokyo cars spotted near the speedway

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Actually he announced he has approval to build a hyperloop between Washington DC and New York. Wouldn't be surprised to see construction sooner rather than later.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/why-elon-musk-tweeted-about-a-new-york-to-d-c-hyperloop.html

". By way of clarification, a spokesperson for the company told The Guardian that his boss was referring to “promising conversations” with government officials"

So basically he was probably having a chat with someone in government and they said "that would be a cool idea". There would be massive hurdles to cross before this became a reality. There are no actual "approval" of anything at this point.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No they are not boring a tunnel under LA. Where did you here that?

That's why Elon is the best CEO ever he says this stuff to pump up earnings always say we could. maybe, in the future and people think he is actually building this stuff.

Find one piece of proof that Musk is building a tunnel under LA??? Anything. That idea is called a sub way BTW. Putting cars on elevator to get to the tunnel and drive around is just stupid. Musk lifted the idea from Walt Disney original Epcot plans.

Technically he is "boring under LA". They are digging a test tunnel on the property of Space X's LA headquarters. Classic case of omitting key details to make it sound more impressive then it really is.

jt04

Technically he is "boring under LA". They are digging a test tunnel on the property of Space X's LA headquarters. Classic case of omitting key details to make it sound more impressive then it really is.

Well if by "test tunnel" you mean an actual tunnel that will provide transport between two sites then I guess you are right.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well if by "test tunnel" you mean an actual tunnel that will provide transport between two sites then I guess you are right.

It doesn't seem that he has done anything beyond a test tunnel on his own property...

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-boring-company-tunnels/

and there isn't anything remarkable about this. Pretty standard boring technology and no plans to use it for a hyperloop. I don't deny Elon has done some cool stuff and has some ambitious ideas, but we are a long way from hyperloop transportation between major cities, assuming it every happens.

jt04

It doesn't seem that he has done anything beyond a test tunnel on his own property...

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-boring-company-tunnels/

and there isn't anything remarkable about this. Pretty standard boring technology and no plans to use it for a hyperloop. I don't deny Elon has done some cool stuff and has some ambitious ideas, but we are a long way from hyperloop transportation between major cities, assuming it every happens.

All the boring company needs is the first working tunnel to demonstrate feasibility. Then the company will become exceedingly boring. I don't see any hurdles that can stop the process once people understand just how common sense it is.

Unplugged

I don't deny Elon has done some cool stuff and has some ambitious ideas, but we are a long way from hyperloop transportation between major cities, assuming it every happens.

You're right on about this. Dare I say, (as many in these forums consider this blasphemy), Musk is a LOT like Walt Disney. Both have/had visions of great ideas, some their own, some are improvements on others ideas. If we reflect back on Walt's vision for EPCOT, which was never realized as our EPCOT is a theme park, WED had some marvelous ideas, many were not their inventions but the bettering of existing ideas. It's that grand vision of pulling it all together that makes leaps and bounds in the push for a greater future. This is also much akin to how Steve Jobs functioned. All pulled existing ideas, added their uniqueness to them and created great products for it. It's the end vision that drives the here and now production. They also are or were very belittling to their staff that didn't see the vision or didn't push hard enough for the vision. That's not a bad thing if you go into it knowing that your contribution and invention is part of a greater effort.

Sorry so long.....anyway, my point is that while the hyperloop may not come to fruition, at least not now, and it is not a new concept, this is the first physical iteration on such a grand scale. After all, you put papers into a drive-up bank tube which transports it to the teller, who returns money or receipts to you via the same bi-directional tube. Someone has to make prototypes of this on a large scale to demonstrate and refine the concepts. Only through pushing the visions to grander scale can we ever justify the viability of ideas. Musk may not have 100% success in the way we are used to seeing it, but what he accomplishes by pushing those visions, betters us all when the technology and ideas are leveraged elsewhere.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
All the boring company needs is the first working tunnel to demonstrate feasibility. Then the company will become exceedingly boring. I don't see any hurdles that can stop the process once people understand just how common sense it is.

If you don't see any hurdles then you have obviously never been to a zoning board meeting.

jt04

If you don't see any hurdles then you have obviously never been to a zoning board meeting.

Not sure they have jurisdiction all the way to the center of the earth. Or even less. Guess we will find out.

Seriously, if the first tunnel works, there will be no issues of significance. IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not sure they have jurisdiction all the way to the center of the earth. Or even less. Guess we will find out.

We already know, the article I linked to is about the hearings with the first town he wants to go under.

Seriously, if the first tunnel works, there will be no issues of significance. IMO.

People have been building highways and rail systems for decades and yet new ones routinely meet with resistance during the zoning process.

jt04

We already know, the article I linked to is about the hearings with the first town he wants to go under.

People have been building highways and rail systems for decades and yet new ones routinely meet with resistance during the zoning process.

If it works planning and zoning boards will be begging for more boring in their town. Or they can choose to be voted out.

TP2000

Is there any difference between the Tokyo cars and the MK cars? Are they Electric? Hybrid?

I've been on the Tokyo Disneyland Speedway several times in the last couple decades. They had a nifty feature to prevent bumping; if you came within a foot or two of the car ahead of you your car would come to a stop. It was impossible to bump the car ahead of you, because bumping is impolite. I hope they bring that feature to WDW's Speedway, which may be why they've shipped the cars over from Tokyo's closed version.

Japan seems ahead of America in terms of technology. However, this wasn't the change anyone was rooting for.

You obviously haven't been to Japan lately. They are quite noticeably behind America when it comes to the middle classes ownership and use of new technology; smartphones, Apps, web-based services, mobile technology, home TV tech, cable and Internet, etc.

Tokyo Disneyland, for example, doesn't have a wait time app. There is no public WiFi available in the Tokyo parks. They don't have any form of electronic Fastpass (MagicBands, Maxpass, etc.), you still just have to pull paper Fastpasses one at a time like it was 2002. Websites are all circa 2006. Cash is king and it's harder to pay with credit cards. Uber (as we know it, it's just a taxi-hailing service in Japan) doesn't exist in Tokyo, you take the subway or your own car to the park. Etc., etc., etc.

What is this- 1990?
That's not remotely true anymore; in fact, quite the opposite. :)

I know, right?!? What's the most fascinating, is that there are Americans in 2017 who still think Japanese society is so far advanced than America. It's the exact opposite. The Japanese should congratulate their PR teams from the late 1980's who got that marketing concept going so strongly that it still has legs in 2017. Japan is a lovely country, and their Disneyland beats the snot out of anything we have here (maintenance, cleanliness, service, CM appearance, entertainment).

But when it comes to daily use of technology, especially for the middle classes, they are a decade behind how the average American lives.

Last edited:

TP2000

They do have america beat in toilets and bathtubs- theirs are crazy :). Also home surveillance. Outside of that though, they aren't ahead of America technologically speaking.

Okay, you're right, I forgot about the toilets. About a decade ago I went to the Toto Toilet Showroom on the 40th floor of a skyscraper in Shinjuku. I spent an hour there looking over the exhibits, while uniformed hostesses demonstrated the various features and cutting-edge toilet technology and offered tea and cookies. It was HYSTERICAL! America still hasn't caught up when it comes to toilets, and likely never will.

IMG_0390_1.jpg

Although, I have noticed that high-end hotels in Los Angeles and San Francisco now include the, ahem, features of Japanese toilets in their suites. So like the Honda motorbikes in the early 1960's that were a SoCal Craze, and became an everyday American thing by the 1980's, maybe things will finally spread east from California when it comes to that.

Back to Disney, the anti-bumping technology they used in Tokyo Disneyland's Speedway was pretty basic 1990's stuff. A simple radar sensor in the front bumper that triggered whenever you got too close to the car in front of you and it would kill the engine. Bumping problem solved. But it would require occasional maintenance and calibration, which to TDO and TDA means money, so they just don't want to be bothered with the expense even though it creates a better experience for the paying customers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cjkeating

If these are additional cars... could they be used to keep the ride open whilst cars are taken out to be converted to hybrid or electric?

Monorail Mike

Okay, you're right, I forgot about the toilets. About a decade ago I went to the Toto Toilet Showroom on the 40th floor of a skyscraper in Shinjuku. I spent an hour there looking over the exhibits, while uniformed hostesses demonstrated the various features and cutting-edge toilet technology and offered tea and cookies. It was HYSTERICAL! America still hasn't caught up when it comes to toilets, and likely never will.

IMG_0390_1.jpg

Although, I have noticed that high-end hotels in Los Angeles and San Francisco now include the, ahem, features of Japanese toilets in their suites. So like the Honda motorbikes in the early 1960's that were a SoCal Craze, and became an everyday American thing by the 1980's, maybe things will finally spread east from California when it comes to that.

Back to Disney, the anti-bumping technology they used in Tokyo Disneyland's Speedway was pretty basic 1990's stuff. A simple radar sensor in the front bumper that triggered whenever you got too close to the car in front of you and it would kill the engine. Bumping problem solved. But it would require occasional maintenance and calibration, which to TDO and TDA means money, so they just don't want to be bothered with the expense even though it creates a better experience for the paying customers. :rolleyes:

We've got our best Muppet working on it...
Hollywood-Studios-PizzeRizzo-Wedding-Reception-Room-Board-atmosphere-7-477x600.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom